System Requirements 6-pin

Kalthos

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
My motherboard doesn't have a 6 pin slot... my geforce 9800gt demands it. How bad will I mess my gear up if I plug a 4 pin in?

Kalthos

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Yes I am aware of that. But in order to plug that 6 pin wire INTO my motherboard, my motherboard is required to have the slot for it.

note: The geforce 9800gt doesn't have the 6 pin slot on it, basically I'm just gonna go get it exchanged.

Woah! You need to stop assembling your computer NOW. Step back and read the manuals ASAP.

The 6 pin PCI-E connector runs from the PSU, you physically cannot fit a molex connector in there so dont even consider it. If your PSU did not come with a 6 pin PCI-E connector there are adapters out there to turn 2 4 pin molex connectors into 1 6 pin but i would think twice about it because it means your PSU may not have enough juice to safely run it.

arges86

Distinguished
if the card doesn't have enough power going to it, whether through the PCIe port, or a separate connection, it will not run stable. If your missing two pins, than you'll be missing a third of the power needed at peek performance.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
A 4-pin connector to the board has nothing to do with the 6-pin PCI-E connector. 6-pins are connected to videocards. The 4-pin (or 4+4-pin) 12v connector plugs into the motherboard along with the 20+4 main connector. It sounds like your PSU does not havea 6-pin PCI-E connector or you're just misinterpreting what your connectors are for.

enayet_redeemer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Whats the configuration of your PC? Mention it with the power supply Wattage.

Yes, I think skolpo is right. You are misinterpreting 4-pin CPU power connector with PCI-e connector.

It looks strange that a 9800GT has no 6-pin PCI-e connector. If there is no then how could it get extra power it needs???!!!
You can use 2x4-pin molex to 1x6-pin PCI-e converter but you have to be sure about the wattage of your PSU. Please read the manual of 9800GT to be sure about the minimum PSU requirement.

enayet_redeemer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Thanks delluser1. :)

But kalthos didn't mention that he bought a low power card.

@kalthos: If your card mathches the card posted by delluser1 then I think you don't have to bother changing the card or a PCI-e connector. But you have to read the manual came with the card.

Kalthos

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I guess my message wasn't very clear. My power supply is a 600w cooler master eXtreme power plus, but as you will see if you look it up, it has 2 4 pins, 2 6 pins and the little 2 pin attachment. It has what it needs. However, my motherboard is the Asus P5KPL-VM and the graphics card is the GeForce 9800GT. I'm told I need to hook up the 6 pin to either my motherboard or directly to my graphics card from my PSU but neither my motherboard nor my graphics card have the slot for the 6pin.

In other words, my motherboard is too old. Even though it supports pci-e, it's a pos. It has the PCI Express slot but doesn't have what it takes to power THIS graphics card and I imagine, many others.

Your motherboard is fine, the problem isnt the hardware. If you have one of the low power 9800GT's it doesnt need the 6 pin PCI-E connector. The 6 pin PCI-E connector would never plug into your motherboard, it always plugs into the GPU, if your GPU doesnt have a slot for it then you dont need to plug it in and it will run fine.

Kalthos

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Thanks hunter315, not knowing wtf I'm doing is what lead me to ask about it. I took precautions because of the graphic card's box, I'm just not very techy as you can most likely tell. I took it to a friend of mine, didn't tell him anything, he just hooked it up and said "enjoy".

Thanks again