Home surround sound , can i hook up to it ?

westreet

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hello,

I am workin on a New game computer that i also plan on using to watch movies and listen to music in my room once i upgrade my 47 tv in the living room. What i was wondering is instead of buying a set of computer speakers can i get a Home surround sound system and hook my Computer sound up to it ?

I have a older model SB fx fatality card. not sure if it will work with window 7. Guess what i am asking is what would i need to make this work , just a new sound card or something else? I will be adding a Blueray drive to this also.

Gonna be playin BF3 also figure it would sound awsome as well.

Thanks all.

( ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory )

fightingslu

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
the easiest way would be to get a sound card with an optical output, but you will not find that in a cheap sound card- but you can plug any 5.1/7.1 sound card into a home theater receiver via the audio inputs. I just bought a new SB fatality professional card because new egg had them half off. i was nervous that the card wouldnt work with my win7 based on the reviews of SB cards, but i just put in the cd that came with the card and it worked perfectly. Your SB should work if you download their windows 7 drivers

Grizly87

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I was in the same situation. I wanted to hook my Soundblaster sound card to my Sony A/V receiver but the Sony dosen't have an optical output or digital output to connect it to. I connected the "line out" on the sound card it to the satellite jack on the Sony using the adapter. It seems that I only get front and back speakers without true 5.1 surround. I'm wondering if I bought a cheap a/v receiver with the digital output to plug into the digital output on the sound card if I would then get true 5.1 surround from the speakers.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Griz

westreet

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
yea i ordered a adapter also. not gonna use a sound card since my MB had the hook ups. but the spare Surround system i had doesnt lol. So gonna try the Adapter also see how it works.

If not well then Suround sound system has gotten cheap or i might go with new Comp. speakers.

Grizly87

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
The adapter does work good but not having true 5.1 sound (front and back speakers - like having 2 channel) takes away from the quality. Thats why I wonder if having a digital imput will make a difference. Anyone one know of a cheap a/v receiver that has a digital coaxial imput?

westreet

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
bummer. my blueray suround sound system in the living room has the Digital imput i might have to hook it up and see how it sounds. lol i can always put my old blueray player and system back in there and keep the new for my comp lol.

Again, S/PDIF is limited to three formats: 2.0 PCM, 5.1 Dolby, and 5.1 DTS. And Dolby/DTS are VERY limited in quality. In most cases, direct analog out offers significantly higher quality, but connecting this way to a receiver adds a LOT of wiring to the mix.