e-machines ?? Good or Bad ??

I am considering buying an e-machine laptop...I know, I know...they have had
a bad rep in the past but the model I am considering is the 5313... a new
one. Now that e-machines is owned by Gateway I have heard they have better
quality standards.

Can anyone confirm this and if so, does anyone know any information
regarding the quality/performance of this particular model?

Thank-you in advance for any help.
10 answers Last reply
More about machines good

    "cooldude" <topgun1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    | I am considering buying an e-machine laptop...I know, I know...they have
    had
    | a bad rep in the past but the model I am considering is the 5313... a new
    | one. Now that e-machines is owned by Gateway I have heard they have better
    | quality standards.
    |
    | Can anyone confirm this and if so, does anyone know any information
    | regarding the quality/performance of this particular model?
    |
    | Thank-you in advance for any help.

    I am the current owner of an m6809 and couldn't imagine a better machine for
    the money. It came down to this and an HP. Both were very similar with a
    similar price tag. The deciding factor was the shoddy nVidia mx 440 video on
    the HP, and the lower price for same configuration (and better vid) on the
    eMachines. This particular notebook isn't even built by eMachines. It is
    built by a company called Arima.

    Hello, I am a PC Tech at best buy in the service deptarment. I can assure
    you that we do not get many of these fine laptops back to us. I was
    actually considering one myself, the widescreen is great and emachines
    doesn't install all that extra junk that comes on the HP's and Sony's. The
    price is great and they aren't even really built by emachine. I would still
    recommend buying the 3 year service plan on it if you get it at best buy b/c
    the whole laptop is primarily one part.

    "cooldude" <topgun1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > I am considering buying an e-machine laptop...I know, I know...they have
    had
    > a bad rep in the past but the model I am considering is the 5313... a new
    > one. Now that e-machines is owned by Gateway I have heard they have better
    > quality standards.
    >
    > Can anyone confirm this and if so, does anyone know any information
    > regarding the quality/performance of this particular model?
    >
    > Thank-you in advance for any help.

    I have the 5312 and could not be happier, It is the best value out there. I
    had a problem with my power cord, mailed my laptop to emachine on a Tuesday
    afternoon (all paid by emachine) and had it back Thursday morning. Great
    service, Great laptop.
    Rob

    "cooldude" <topgun1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > I am considering buying an e-machine laptop...I know, I know...they have
    had
    > a bad rep in the past but the model I am considering is the 5313... a new
    > one. Now that e-machines is owned by Gateway I have heard they have better
    > quality standards.
    >
    > Can anyone confirm this and if so, does anyone know any information
    > regarding the quality/performance of this particular model?
    >
    > Thank-you in advance for any help.

    I'm on my second eMachines laptop, a 6805. I'm quite happy with it.

    Lisa

    cooldude wrote:

    > I am considering buying an e-machine laptop...I know, I know...they have had
    > a bad rep in the past but the model I am considering is the 5313... a new
    > one. Now that e-machines is owned by Gateway I have heard they have better
    > quality standards.
    >
    > Can anyone confirm this and if so, does anyone know any information
    > regarding the quality/performance of this particular model?
    >
    > Thank-you in advance for any help.

    I didn't by the Emachine laptop, but I did try it. Matter of fact I
    tried a lot of laptops in the past month and a half. I am a very picky
    buyer when it comes to computers. I finally settled for a Toshiba
    Tecra A1. However, that being said, my reason for not buying the
    Emachine had nothing to do with the quality. I had tested the Emachine
    M5313 AMD Athlon 2500+ 1.867GHz laptop at home and I gotta say, bang
    for the buck, I was very impressed. I just went for the Toshiba
    because of the smaller size and the 3 year warranty.

    Comparing laptops is very tough when you are looking at the same basic
    features. Quite often it comes down to personal taste as far as looks
    and handling goes. I liked the keyboard layout on the Emachine above
    some other brands. The screen was very clear. The sound was good too.
    I would say that you couldn't go to wrong in buying one. I have read
    else where that customer satisfaction is good.

    One interesting thing is that the support phone number in Canada is
    not toll free. It is a long distance call to Vancouver. However, once
    you are registered you can go into live chat with technical support on
    their website.

    Good luck with your choice . . . oh, and one more thing . . . truly,
    the best way to pick out the right desktop is to try different ones.
    Bring it home and test it. Check with the store about their return
    policy based on satisfaction. Most range from 10 days to 30 days, no
    questions asked. That, in my opinion, would be the best thing. And
    while trying them out . . . remember to keep the price-to-goodies
    ratio in mind. Watch all the bells and whistles you don't need! . .
    ..hmmmm, I guess that was more than one more thing . . . lol

    Take care

    Peter

    "cooldude" <topgun1@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<UDwtc.607895$Ig.569548@pd7tw2no>...
    > I am considering buying an e-machine laptop...I know, I know...they have had
    > a bad rep in the past but the model I am considering is the 5313... a new
    > one. Now that e-machines is owned by Gateway I have heard they have better
    > quality standards.
    >
    > Can anyone confirm this and if so, does anyone know any information
    > regarding the quality/performance of this particular model?
    >
    > Thank-you in advance for any help.

    Can someone give me a URL to look at the emachines? I did a search but
    didn't come up with anything.
    --
    Dori ...

    "Josh Walrath" <puckdrop87@cbcast.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I am a PC Tech at best buy in the service deptarment. I can assure
    > you that we do not get many of these fine laptops back to us. I was
    > actually considering one myself, the widescreen is great and emachines
    > doesn't install all that extra junk that comes on the HP's and Sony's.
    The
    > price is great and they aren't even really built by emachine. I would
    still
    > recommend buying the 3 year service plan on it if you get it at best buy
    b/c
    > the whole laptop is primarily one part.
    >
    > "cooldude" <topgun1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > I am considering buying an e-machine laptop...I know, I know...they have
    > had
    > > a bad rep in the past but the model I am considering is the 5313... a
    new
    > > one. Now that e-machines is owned by Gateway I have heard they have
    better
    > > quality standards.
    > >
    > > Can anyone confirm this and if so, does anyone know any information
    > > regarding the quality/performance of this particular model?
    > >
    > > Thank-you in advance for any help.

    my opinion is I disagree.
    emachines remains to be a low-cost brand because they chose to have
    lower quality standard than other brands so they can remain lower
    cost.
    places like tigersdirect continues to get refurb units from retail
    returns, that's why our tech friend at best buy isn't seeing alot
    being repaired.
    emachines price is very good. but that's because of the lower quality
    standard. and I would not want to worry about my pc klunking out on me
    anytime. I'd rather get one I feel safe.

    http://www.e4me.com/

    "scGram" <dorineu@REMOVEwriteme.com> wrote in message

    > Can someone give me a URL to look at the emachines? I did a search but
    > didn't come up with anything.
    > --
    > Dori ...

    Thank you ... I'm on my way to check them out :-)

    --
    Dori ... Beeb and Cissy
    http://community.webshots.com/user/dorineu

    "Guy Quinn" <orgnlgq@yahoo.com> wrote ...

    On 29 May 2004 12:28:19 -0700, srch_poppy@yahoo.com (Paul Marr) wrote:

    >my opinion is I disagree.
    >emachines remains to be a low-cost brand because they chose to have
    >lower quality standard than other brands so they can remain lower
    >cost.
    >places like tigersdirect continues to get refurb units from retail
    >returns, that's why our tech friend at best buy isn't seeing alot
    >being repaired.
    >emachines price is very good. but that's because of the lower quality
    >standard. and I would not want to worry about my pc klunking out on me
    >anytime. I'd rather get one I feel safe.

    And what would that be other than IBM or a real Toshiba or perhaps a
    Fujitsu? Surely you aren't considering such from HP compaq or dell.

    Imho, most of the market has gone to a comodity product separated only
    by willingness to stand behind it when it breaks.

Laptops eMachines