Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any way to copy Video tape movie onto Direct TV HD Tivo?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 10:02:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I just bought a HR10-250 and I would like to copy a video tape onto
it. Any reasonably easy way to do that?
Thanks,
Art
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:44:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I've been looking for a solution to this as well. The problem is that the
OTA tuner in the HD Tivo is digital only. Most modulators are analog. You'd
need an ATSC digital modulator to convert the baseband output of your VCR to
a digital channel that the Tivo could pick up. I haven't been able to find
one, yet.

"Art K6KFH" <ahorne1REMOVE@COMCASTremove.net> wrote in message
news:jq0ra1lb5srihfabrj39f6ej986svt6bj6@4ax.com...
>I just bought a HR10-250 and I would like to copy a video tape onto
> it. Any reasonably easy way to do that?
> Thanks,
> Art
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:10:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:44:09 GMT, David L. Leon wrote:

> I've been looking for a solution to this as well. The problem is that the
> OTA tuner in the HD Tivo is digital only. Most modulators are analog. You'd
> need an ATSC digital modulator to convert the baseband output of your VCR to
> a digital channel that the Tivo could pick up. I haven't been able to find
> one, yet.
>
> "Art K6KFH" <ahorne1REMOVE@COMCASTremove.net> wrote in message
> news:jq0ra1lb5srihfabrj39f6ej986svt6bj6@4ax.com...
>>I just bought a HR10-250 and I would like to copy a video tape onto
>> it. Any reasonably easy way to do that?
>> Thanks,
>> Art

Don't count on finding one soon either. They would be very expensive.

Brad H
Related resources
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:05:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Brad Houser" <bradDOThouser@intel.com> wrote in message
news:2ghb2wpsc3t4.12yx6s38w853l.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:44:09 GMT, David L. Leon wrote:
>
>> I've been looking for a solution to this as well. The problem is that the
>> OTA tuner in the HD Tivo is digital only. Most modulators are analog.
>> You'd
>> need an ATSC digital modulator to convert the baseband output of your VCR
>> to
>> a digital channel that the Tivo could pick up. I haven't been able to
>> find
>> one, yet.
>>
>> "Art K6KFH" <ahorne1REMOVE@COMCASTremove.net> wrote in message
>> news:jq0ra1lb5srihfabrj39f6ej986svt6bj6@4ax.com...
>>>I just bought a HR10-250 and I would like to copy a video tape onto
>>> it. Any reasonably easy way to do that?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Art
>
> Don't count on finding one soon either. They would be very expensive.
>
> Brad H

The quality of the output of a VCR is so limited that placing it on
a DVD is overkill, at full D1 and a high bitrate. It would be a real
waste, putting it into an HD medium. You can probably find a
hard drive based PVR with a good TBC and DNR for less than an
HD RF modulator would set you back. If you got one of those
DivX recording harddrive enclosures, and used today's cheap large
drives, you could have 100s of full length movies per drive.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:35:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:UpOdnZryZP1GtCTfRVn-ow@giganews.com...
>
> "Brad Houser" <bradDOThouser@intel.com> wrote in message
> news:2ghb2wpsc3t4.12yx6s38w853l.dlg@40tude.net...
> > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:44:09 GMT, David L. Leon wrote:
> >
> >> I've been looking for a solution to this as well. The problem is that
the
> >> OTA tuner in the HD Tivo is digital only. Most modulators are analog.

<snip>

> The quality of the output of a VCR is so limited that placing it on
> a DVD is overkill, at full D1 and a high bitrate. It would be a real
> waste, putting it into an HD medium. You can probably find a
> hard drive based PVR with a good TBC and DNR for less than an
> HD RF modulator would set you back. If you got one of those
> DivX recording harddrive enclosures, and used today's cheap large
> drives, you could have 100s of full length movies per drive.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

-->I had a bunch of Betamax tapes to convert and used my Phillips SA TiVO
with TyTool to do this.
I would agree that HD probably wouldn't help you any and would probably
further amplify or bring out any "artifacts"/tape dropouts, etc.

If you only have a tape or two, I would agree that some sort of PC based PVR
would probably be the easiest way.
Hauppage makes a couple of them that are decent.

Scotty
!