Sign in with
Your question

BSOD after overclocking AMD P2X4 955 BE

Last response: in Overclocking
December 29, 2011 12:11:59 PM

Hello, I have an AMD Phenom 2 x4 955 BE, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, 8GB(2x4) Kingston HyperX PC-12800(DDR1600),HIS IceQ X Turbo Radeon HD 6950.

I overclocked the CPU from 3.4 to 4Ghz. I did this not by the multiplier but by the FSB so I could get more performance. So I took
the normal 216x16 to 250x16 to get the 4ghz. I knew before hand this is the hard way to overclock because you are chaning
the speed at which everything communicates with the CPU. Therefore pretty much overclocking the whole rig and can cause
problems mostly from the ram. So I did the calculations and found out my ram should handle the up'd FSB speed with ease.
As it is rated to handle 800Mhz so 250Mhz was in its ballpark for sure.

So after I finished I started it up seemed to run fine then BAM BSOD. The BSOD error is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Please help.
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2011 1:49:20 PM

BSOD's are normally caused from ram instability. Run Memtest86 at those speeds and see if you get any errors in a 1 hr test.
m
l
a c 242 K Overclocking
a b À AMD
December 29, 2011 2:55:39 PM

wrong way overclock CPU BE use FSB ... just increase Multiplier and let FSB under 200 or 210 max , if you want OC RAM just tighten timming of ram. go default and start again with step by step or u need read guide overclock CPU black Edition in sticky forum http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-editi...
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2011 4:53:52 PM

henydiah said:
wrong way overclock CPU BE use FSB ... just increase Multiplier and let FSB under 200 or 210 max , if you want OC RAM just tighten timming of ram. go default and start again with step by step or u need read guide overclock CPU black Edition in sticky forum http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-editi...

I know that the BE is an unlocked multiplier but I was intentionally overclocking the FSB because by overclocking the
FSB you get better performance because the FSB is the channel that everything talks to CPU with. So when you overclock
it pretty much overclocks everything. And ram has issues when you overclock the FSB because it isn't ready for that normally
because you have to overclock the voltage on the ram. Which I tried and took it all the way to 1.8v and I was still having issues.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
a b À AMD
December 29, 2011 5:00:16 PM

I assume you manually set your ram timings/speed as well beforehand?
thats way too high V's on modern ram, you'll just cook it
Moto
m
l
December 29, 2011 5:06:08 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I assume you manually set your ram timings/speed as well beforehand?
thats way too high V's on modern ram, you'll just cook it
Moto

I actually did not set the ram timings I left that on AUTO.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
a b À AMD
December 29, 2011 5:59:14 PM

^That there is a problem to start with :) 
your ram overclocks with everything else when you use fsb method and in no time its out of spec and bsod city here we come,
if your fsb' clocking it, set your ram manually
Moto
m
l
!