Sign in with
Your question

Where is the PC-phone competitor to i-phone?

Last response: in CPUs
December 15, 2009 1:24:38 PM

I am a truck-driver but like to use the computer to do tasks, communicate and to a small degree be entertained. I dont have much time to diddle with it and no desire to try to impress others with a vast amount of computer savvy about this or that. I dont like waiting for internet downloads, buying a new windows os before Ive learned the one before it ... ditto with the "Office" suite. I was previously a techician and worked on industrial 8085 based systems then PLC controllers so am comfortable open a box and replacing a card or drive but am smart enough to know that blindly replacing things may cause compatibility issues that I cant really troubleshoot without knowing how everything works exactly. I know we will come to a day soon where a home pc will talk back to you as in the original Star Trek, there is simply no reason to make the interface between computer and human more complex than it needs to be, and the ultimate simplicity would be "Computer ... whats the weather today between here and Boston, print out my financial report and the best stock picks for today, and find the lowest cost Levi's 501's that will fit me I can pick up on my way home from work". Im really surprised thats not commonplace already. Between now and then I would like to opt for getting as much done with my computer as I can with the limited amount of time I have to spend with it ... My P4 needs more $, was going to soup up my Office XP P4 to 2gb ram from 512mb and install Photoshop CS2 and Publisher 2007 ( or Office XP SBE 2002 wi/Publisher if I can make personalized bumper stickers with it), then I saw 2gb reconditioned G5 units on ebay for 299.00 and was wondering whether it was time to make a life change to simplicity and Get-r-dun-iness. I like simplicity and the only time Ive ever used a Mac was once when transferred to Allen-Bradley Milwaukee for a short time on a management chore where I needed a computer to do reports quickly and was amazed at how fast I got impressive results with graphics, reporting sytems, documents and spreadsheets. One day. Ive always had a chunk of change invested in my PC's making me hesitate to dump them and try Apple, nothing apple used to work with a PC including printer and monitor. Dont know how it goes today. That Apple is still alive and kicking makes the case that somebody likes them. The Iphone is my next investment, I might follow it with a G5 refurb I dont know. Was wondering where MS I-phone competitor is ???

More about : phone competitor phone

a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 3:39:53 PM

It's called the DRIOD by Verizon, not to mention that verizon has a better range of 3G coverage throughout the US. the iPhone is for princesses who want to show off, the Droid has useful apps/features such as GPS that kicks some major ass when it comes to smart-phone GPS's
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 3:51:09 PM

DROID DOES! +verizon best 3g network

If you actually want fast data coverage over the whole US dont go AT&T
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 4:24:36 PM

"DRIOD" - :D 

geez, thought I had wandered into the RPG forumz by mistake, since "dryads" are tree-dwelling magic folks...
m
l
December 22, 2009 3:52:51 PM

Looking at the "Droid" copy of the Iphone it seems to have mixed reviews. It does use Verizon instead of ATT which has more coverage supposedly. I have lost signal plenty with Verizon cell-phones where I live and work ... in New England. I have dealt with Verizon for many years and dont really care for them much, I dont like their snotty little stores that make you take a number or the people I have dealt with on the phone because I had to land-line wise and because I chose their cell-phone. Id be inclined to give AT+T a chance even if they had less coverage. I see that Apple has 10 times the amount of Apps available as the Droid. I dont know what significance that has to me. The GPS system and touch screen in the Apple has higher reviews than Droid and the costs are almost identical. I have seen an Apple actually use a satelitte camera picture to show me the actual gas station Im delivering to so I can decide how to pull in ... that was pretty cool.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2009 4:02:45 PM

OK - Then enjoy your iPhone.
m
l
December 22, 2009 4:16:28 PM

Thanks for your valuable input. Can anyone enlighten me as to what the Apps rating actually means ? What applications are there likely to be for use in an Iphone or droid? Several basic categories with thousands of similar programs ??? I have no desire for my cell-phone to be a desktop but would like complete telephone features, intensive gps capabilities, email and internet with keyboard and mouse, capability to use as a radio, tv and downloadable camera and voice recorder.
m
l
December 22, 2009 4:25:47 PM

ATT is only good if you wanna get a hardline to a Tier 1 ISP with very little peering
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2009 4:49:42 PM

keithnh said:
Thanks for your valuable input. Can anyone enlighten me as to what the Apps rating actually means ? What applications are there likely to be for use in an Iphone or droid? Several basic categories with thousands of similar programs ??? I have no desire for my cell-phone to be a desktop but would like complete telephone features, intensive gps capabilities, email and internet with keyboard and mouse, capability to use as a radio, tv and downloadable camera and voice recorder.

Most apps are completely useless/pointless, but as for the ones that actually have meaning, DRIOD apps will/do rock compared to iPhone. Give it time keith, iPhone has a head-start on the "apps" department. DRIOD will catch up and eventually beat iPhone
m
l
December 22, 2009 6:02:38 PM

Lol eventually catch up, Iphone haters! Lol Verison only wants you to believe their 3g coverage is better when you do the proper research at an unbiased lvl all companies provide the same coverage, its who ever has the better PR to make you think one is better than the other.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2009 6:11:50 PM

Maddog316 said:
Lol eventually catch up, Iphone haters! Lol Verison only wants you to believe their 3g coverage is better when you do the proper research at an unbiased lvl all companies provide the same coverage, its who ever has the better PR to make you think one is better than the other.

...3G coverage =/= all coverage. On AT&T, most of the country is still served by EDGE and other technologies. And if you do your unbiased research, you'd know that EDGE is hardly a suitable substitute for 3G.

Further: It's disengenuous to associate criticisms of the netwok with hatred for the device. iPhone rocks. AT&T does not.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2009 6:17:13 PM

keithnh said:

I have a Droid, and it does those things. It has both built in and touchscreen keyboards. Streams audio/video. Has thousands of apps, though not to the same extent as an iPhone.

Understand, that I'm not hating or loving either *device*. It just so happens that where I live (within 10~15 minutes drive to AT&T world headquarters in Basking Ridge, NJ), it is not possible to make or receive an phone call on an AT&T celular at my house. This is not acceptable to me. And therefore it is not practical for me to use an iPhone. The device is fine. The problem is that around here, AT&T suck. So I got myself a Droid.

It may be a different story where you live. And - to be quite honest - it's just a cellphone. Not a PC/Mac substitute. And *definitely* not a lifestyle choice, a philosophy, or a religion. (Though there are plenty of idiotswho seem to take it that seriously!) A year or two from how, there will be something else.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2009 6:28:41 PM

The PC-phone is still in in the development stage by a lot of companies at this time, but is pretty close upon us, here are a few examples:

http://gizmodo.com/5393584/windows-xp-phone-a-first-loo...

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/06/lonmid-m100-atom-base...

http://www.pocketables.net/2009/12/new-photos-and-detai...

This concept is very exciting and a lot of people in the high end smartphone/MID and UMPC worlds are watching with great interest. Note that this is to merge the PC experience and the phone functionality into one device to complete the whole mobile computing dream.

As for a competitor for the iPhone, it is not. The iPhone is a limited device meant to play music and make calls, not much else. This device is aided by its simplicity and simple functionality while the PC-phone is meant to replace both your phone and your laptop/netbook, something the iPhone and Droid were never meant to do.
m
l
!