Stuck with NH-D14. Need to find smaller replacement

Mister Gray

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
I have a NH-D14 cooler that I have had the unlucky ride of realizing that Vengance Memory and this cooler do not mix

My Specs:
CPU: I5 2500k
MOBO: Asus P8P67 Board (Pro Rev. 3)
RAM: Corsair Vengance 8GB (2x4)
GPU: EVGA Geoforce GTX580 3072MB
SSD: Intel 120GB 320 Series (updated Firmware, packed 8/29/11, Too good of price at time...still nervous)
PSU: 750W Ultra X4 U12-40504 Power supply

I want to try and return the cooler if possible and find myself a space accommodating cooler. I'm hoping (key word) to overclock to around 4.2 GHz or at least 4.0 when it's said and done. I'm sure I could push it more but 4.2 would make me pretty happy. Before choosing the NH-D14 I was considering a Corsair sealed unit until I read numerous high reviews on the Noctua

Yes I should check compatibility before I buy however according to Noctua's site it shows my board as being compatible. There is mention of certain boards RAM slots being covered but I figured it would have been mentioned it had it been a problem. Sadly it did not http://noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

Sound I would like to be not to much louder than that of my X-box or Fat PS3 (old 60GB version). I've seen the CM 212 plus but I don't mind spending a little extra for a good cooler that potentially makes less noise and cools just as well if not better. Budget be around a little over $100. Anything less is fine. I've read, read, and then some more til I'm blue in the face :heink: Now I'm going to break down and ask some experts.

Thank you to all who reply :hello:

Absolutely no compelling reason to spend more then $60 to cool a SB cpu imo.
Most quality $30-40 coolers will easily keep an oc'd 2500K cool.
With that being said,can you not install the ram in different slots= not the closest dimm
You'd definitely have a problem with 4 modules but 2 shouldn't be an issue.
On another note why not return the ram and exchange that for a LP kit.=exactly the same but without tall fins.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%2050001459%20600006127%20600006069&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=147%7C20-233-196%5E20-233-196-TS%2C20-233-186%5E20-233-186-TS

You can always move the Noctuas front mounted 120mm fan to the backside of the Noctua and change the mounting clip locations (easy to remove and relocate), to mount the 120mm fan up as a pull instead of push, is that not an option for you?

You'll also need to transfer the fan vibration isolation mounts in the fin slots to the rear too.

That Noctua is one of the best coolers you can buy, I surely wouldn't give it up if i could use it, relocating the 120mm fan to the rear as a pulling solution won't have a negative cooling effect either, the cooling results are not affected.

Mister Gray

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
You can always move the Noctuas front mounted 120mm fan to the backside of the Noctua and change the mounting clip locations (easy to remove and relocate), to mount the 120mm fan up as a pull instead of push, is that not an option for you?

I may not have been to clear, the Metal fins apposite the front fan are what is resting on the RAM.

As to the other suggestion with the Dremel that was going to my concluded route. Which I wonder would suffer the least though. I had planned to take a few sections out of the Heatsink where the Metal Fins are hitting. Thank you for the replies