Phenom x4 9650 overclocking. Simples or not ????

deejayburnout

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hi Peeps :hello:

i am a complete noob when it comes to overclocking so please be gentle.

Looking at my CPU and how basic overclocking is done, it looks like increasing my multiplier is the best way to squeeze .2 or .3 GHz out of my chip.

How in the blue hell do it do it. ??????

1. Is it as simple as going into the bios and increasing it by .5

2. How much extra heat will i get from my CPU.

3. Will it affect my other components in any way.

Cheers in advance.

Adjust the multiplier and maybe add .1v to the memory voltage if it gets unstable. Boot into windows until you get crashes with a higher multiplier. Add voltage if you get a crash. Then keep doing that until you get the desired OC. The heat depends on how much voltage and how much faster you make it. Also, it will depend on the cooler. A small OC shouldn't give you much heat. It won't affect other components as long as you ONLY touch the multiplier. the FSB will. Make sure voltages and heat are safe!

Max voltage: 1.25 volts. Try to keep it under 1.22.

Max Heat: 70C. Keep it under 65C.

Run a stress test for around 6 hours such as OCCT or Prime95. I like OCCT more. If you don't get a crash, an error, and your temps and voltage are good, you are good to go.

If your CPU is not a BE (Black Edition) CPU, you have a locked multiplier. You will have to adjust the FSB. Move th FSB up in increments of 5. Just, turn your RAM down to 667Mhz memory instead of 800mhz, because when messing with the FSB, you can hurt your RAM.

You should already know that it is not a black edition before you even made your first post in this thread. OP is limited to base clocking only. Second chances are this is a 125w sample making things more difficult ie not so great overclocking as most boards can barely manage 140w+.

I suggest that OP look to a cheap P2 x4 before they get to be rare. p2 x4 945 c3 (95w) are pretty decent on the cheap while black editions can still be found for sale atm.

deejayburnout

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Thats probably the best idea as i know nothing about overclocking and the last thing i wanna do is fry my rig.

Will probably get the fastest phenom II x4 i can afford. Now i know what the black edition means as well

Cheers for all the help