Sign in with
Your question

X-Fi XtremeGamer Mic Stopped

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2009 1:57:13 PM

Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Headset: Sennheiser PC155 / Sennheiser PC350

I apologize if this has already been discussed here at Tom's Hardware somewhere, I was not able to locate a thread. I did find many other threads on other forums but none of the recommendations resolved my issue.

I have had the SB X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI card for almost a year now. I first had Vista Ultimate 64-bit, then went back to XP for a bit, now I am running Windows 7 RC. I had zero issues with XP or Vista, and none at all with 7 until a couple weeks ago.

Everything was working fine, no complaints at all. I unplugged my headset and brought it work for a few days. When I took it back home I was unable to speak in Vent. I ran through the "mic configuration wizard" and Windows did not pick up any audio at all through my mic. I've had the headset for three years and have been waiting for it do die to get the PC350 headset. I ran over the cable a few times at work with my chair, so I didn't bother testing it on another pc, just ordered the new ones.

After I got the ones, same thing, no input from the mic. I tried both headsets on my wife's laptop (Vista Home 64-bit) and both mics works with no issues at all. I also enabled the onboard sound my pc and I can get the mic to work, but the sound quality is really bad and have to max the boost (+30db).

I have tried uninstalling the card and using the Windows 7 drivers as well as the Creative drivers with the same results, just not sure why it was working just fine all this time and decided to stop all of the sudden. I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit that I might be installing this weekend if I have the time to see if this has any improvements.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2009 2:17:00 AM

I'm assuming that, after you installed Windows 7, you still downloaded the drivers from Creative's website? Windows 7 does a great job of automating the device setup process, but sometimes the drivers it gets isn't a good match for your hardware, or at least an outdated version.
December 21, 2009 2:23:13 AM

Yeah, I've tried the auto installed and the latest from Creative. After everything I have found in different forums, this appears to be a driver issue. I pulled the card out and put it in another box I have dual booting Ubuntu and XP, no issues at all on either one.

I just decided to enable my onboard and just use it for the mic.
!