Intel i7 975 overheated in 3.75Ghz?

overclocker

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Hi guys,

I overclocked my Intel I7 975 today, from 25X133(3.33Ghz) to 25X150 (3.75 Ghz) Voltage: 1.35V . I use Real temp to check my temps and the temps are 44 degrees C when i boot into windows. Then, I ran Blend in Prime 95 and the Temps rushed to 100 degrees C within 1 minute.... 1 core even reached 110....

I am using Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme-1366 heat sink, Corsair 910w Psu, Asus rampage 2 extreme MB..
My Case is Cooler master Comos 1000, with 6 fans.....

I know the temps are shocking, how can I fix them??

Thanks

You don't need to fix them; your temps are wrong. It's a common problem. When the cpu hits 75 celcius, it begins slowing down or you get bluescreens from windows. If your system is stable with the overclock and prime 95, you're probably ok for the short term. If you're worried, run at a lower overclock with the default cpu voltage.

Sounds like to me you can do 2 things:

1. If you need it at 3.7GHz, then i would recommenced getting some Arctic sliver 5 thermal compound, clean off the old thermal compound, and put new compound on. This should help with the temps.

2. if you dont need it at 3.7 GHz then i would just run it at stock speed.

RealTemp and HWMonitor both get their core temps from BIOS right?

110'C is highly unlikely...so yeh, it's probably a software error.

Double check anyways to make sure the heatsink is secured tightly and the fans are running.

@oldie, the i7's don't slow down at 75'C - an i7 running at stock with the stock cooler goes up to 80'C or more. I think the threshold for thermal throttling is around the 90s'C for an i7, and the max temps on the intel website says 100'C.

75'C is a relatively stable temperature for an i7 at load. It's fine to run it in the 70s'C since most people opt to keep it under 80'C for normal use.

cht0026

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
check the cpu temp via bios.let it ran on bios for 5'.
if temp go over 55 exit bios!
log on windows and try to check temp with lavalys everest free tool
this may cause both lavalys an real temp to show extreme temp.
if so turn of ur system.
unplug it
let it cool
and like previous post say check ur cooler
i had same prob
and it caused by MY MISTAKE where 1 of 4 pins didn't lock on motherboard
and tha cause overheat
my pc always run on 28 average temp
many degrees below normal
and only has stock fan and a custom defuser with an xtra fan out of the case
i7 average temp is 40
50 is ok
but it would b wise to install a bigger fan on the rear of ur box because overheat sometimes caused by many fans on the wrong place
ur cooler is ok BUT the het inside the case may cause it to overheat and recycle hot air which is NOT good!haha