Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Only 3 out of 6 Gigs of RAM recognized?

Last response: in Memory
March 16, 2010 4:02:17 AM

Recently I just built a new computer, with an i7 processor. I bought an ASRock x58 Extreme motherboard for it, and I'd seen reviews complaining that it has trouble recognizing some RAM. Well now I'm having the same problem. It's very odd, though. DXDiag shows only 3 gigs of memory, but I have 3 sticks of 2 GB each. So my computer is recognizing 1 and 1/2 sticks? Any recommendations?

Edit: I use 3 sticks of 2 because i7 = tri-channel memory = installing RAM in threes.

More about : gigs ram recognized

Best solution

a b } Memory
March 16, 2010 4:04:50 AM

getajob92 said:
Recently I just built a new computer, with an i7 processor. I bought an ASRock x58 Extreme motherboard for it, and I'd seen reviews complaining that it has trouble recognizing some RAM. Well now I'm having the same problem. It's very odd, though. DXDiag shows only 3 gigs of memory, but I have 3 sticks of 2 GB each. So my computer is recognizing 1 and 1/2 sticks? Any recommendations?

Use a 64bit OS, otherwise it'll only detect 3.25Gb of RAM. That's it.
March 16, 2010 4:06:38 AM

Best answer selected by getajob92.
Related resources
a b } Memory
March 16, 2010 4:07:30 AM

Are you by any chance running a 32bit operating system. Windows 32bit will only manage 4 gigs of memory and that includes your video cards memory so if you have a 1gig video card thats why you only see 3. To fix this you will have to go with a 64bit operating system.
March 16, 2010 4:11:15 AM

Thanks. Chose ViolentyHappy91 as best answer so quickly because I didn't even see your response, saaiello, but thanks.to both of you.
a b } Memory
March 16, 2010 4:14:54 AM

No problem man, good luck with it.
!