Replacing Cooler

blazure

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
I've never replaced a CPU [air] cooler. I was wondering if it's that sort of thing where it's best to get right the first time around and replacing the cooler is bad. Or does it not matter, if you do it correctly, if it's the first, second, or tenth time?

Solution
Rubbing alcohol will remove the paste like a charm. Just be sure that the chip is dry when you put on the new paste.

The thermal conductivity of the paste will depend on the brand, and the application (goldilocks approach: not too much, not too little). I like Arctic Silver, but there are others that are just as good or better.

noahscorp

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
To replace your cpu cooler?
The best thing is just go for it, they are simple to replace, just make sure you understand where the power cable goes for the fan, that you have thermal paste or there's enough left on the CPU after removing the old one and make sure it's all on tight :)
If its not on correctly the worst thing that will happen is your CPU overheats and your system shuts down for a few minutes with no damage.
With a new CPU cooler you will get clear instructions as how to install it properly etc :)

It's usually an upgrade 100% of the time when replacing a stock cooler with a aftermarket unit.
ALWAYS! remove the old paste from the cpu = isopropyl alchol and a soft rag or paper towel.
Most units come with good mounting hardware and instruction = not all though
Cooler replacement requires 100% of your attention and 110% patience.
It's definitely the most difficult component upgrade imo,especially if you have to remove your mobo.
I think it's also well worth it = better temps:)

blazure

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

I'm not worried about the installation, I've done that a dozen or two times. I'm more worried about when I eventually decide to overclock. Like if the alcohol will remove the paste entirely or if you never get the same thermal throughput with new paste.

For now, I'm using the stock cooler since I haven't put too much strain on my new CPU yet.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Rubbing alcohol will remove the paste like a charm. Just be sure that the chip is dry when you put on the new paste.

The thermal conductivity of the paste will depend on the brand, and the application (goldilocks approach: not too much, not too little). I like Arctic Silver, but there are others that are just as good or better.

Solution