Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Good memory for my build.

Last response: in Memory
March 16, 2010 6:10:18 AM

I'm picking parts currently for my first build, and I think I've settled on this motherboard:
my motherboard

I was just wondering what a good choice would be for a 6gb triple channel kit would be.
currently I'm looking at these:
corsair dominator
corsair XMS3
G-skill

This is my first build, and I (think) I plan to overclock, so I guess overclockablity is a factor, but try to keep the prices near or under $200.

This computer would be used mainly for gaming, but I also tend to run many applications at once.
(don't know if that matters, but I thought I'd throw it in there.)

Thanks for your time!

Edit: Forgot to say my processor, I'll be using a I7-920, which I will definitely be overclocking.
Pretty sure that matters :p 

More about : good memory build

a b } Memory
a c 136 V Motherboard
March 16, 2010 7:06:47 AM

I would go for the G-Skill one because of having the lowest timings/voltage between them.
But many prefer higher speeds,so if you prefer 1600Mhz then i would chose the second one(its has lower timings than the first one)
m
l
March 16, 2010 7:42:23 AM

Yea, so what exactly is the deal between timings and speed? I know that timings are response times, but what does that mean exactly for the speed of a given program? I suppose I'm asking, where does a better speed (MHz) give you a benefit, and where do you see a benefit from better timings?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 136 V Motherboard
March 16, 2010 9:05:05 PM

In terms of raw performance,the most important thing is the RAM's capacity;timings and Mhz barely have an effect on performance,they are important for overclocking
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2010 1:07:58 AM
March 27, 2010 2:07:01 AM

Best answer selected by Zanth.
m
l
!