Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is triple-core kinda future proof?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 15, 2009 6:05:50 PM

my phenom II x3 720/GTX 260 core 216
is awesome and all, but with the slow but steady adoption of quads, i feel that my tri-core is stuck between a dual and a quad, stuck in the Twilight zone.

Should i really care? my main use is gaming, and i do not run a bazillion apps in the background like some idiots do, i use Gamebooster, which is an awesome app that shuts down unnecessary crap that clogs up the processor, freeing it up for pure gaming.

as for whatever few apps i run, it's firefox, steam, and maybe some IM program, that's about it. yeah, not much multitasking.

http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000-18541_4-1091...

but anyhow, what's your opinion?
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 6:34:45 PM

For what you are doing, I think your x3 is all you need. I wouldn't worry about it at all. There are going to be more and more games in the future that use more and more cores, but for now, your x3 will handle anything you need it to. At this point, its more likely a GPU upgrade would make a MUCH larger difference than a CPU upgrade.
December 15, 2009 6:59:30 PM

If you don't feel like you are missing anything and the performance is fine for the applications that you run, then you are fine. I don't think you need anything unless the performance is unacceptable to you.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 7:45:23 PM

Chronobodi said:
is awesome and all, but with the slow but steady adoption of quads, i feel that my tri-core is stuck between a dual and a quad, stuck in the Twilight zone.
There's always a system that is better than yours. There is no limit to the amount of money you can spend on performance.

My advice: don't fret about benchmarks and the flood of information about the "latest and greatest". If your current system does what you need it to do, it's fine. If not, then think about upgrading.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 8:30:31 PM

huron said:
If you don't feel like you are missing anything and the performance is fine for the applications that you run, then you are fine. I don't think you need anything unless the performance is unacceptable to you.

Best Answer right there. It's all about what the system does FOR YOU. If you can play your favorite games, with decent graphic settings, and it's smooth and stable, and you can have a good time, then who cares?

Once you start installing stuff that doesn't run as well as you'd like it too, then you can worry about Quad Cores and 6 Cores, and 8 Cores, and 12 Cores, etc etc.
December 15, 2009 8:35:41 PM

Nothing about computer hardware is future proof.. just forget all ideas about future proofing and seeing such things as investments. Just buy what you can for now, enjoy it and dont wory about it! When the time comes it will all become obselete and you'll get something better
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 8:39:59 PM

Chronobodi said:
my phenom II x3 720/GTX 260 core 216

Should i really care? my main use is gaming, and i do not run a bazillion apps in the background like some idiots do, i use Gamebooster, which is an awesome app that shuts down unnecessary crap that clogs up the processor, freeing it up for pure gaming.

as for whatever few apps i run, it's firefox, steam, and maybe some IM program, that's about it. yeah, not much multitasking.

http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000-18541_4-1091...

but anyhow, what's your opinion?

Look at it this way, one of my gaming pc's has a dual core that is normally clocked at 3.6/3.7Ghz. I play MW1/MW2/L4D/L4D2/BF1942/BF2/Crysis/Warhead/Dirt/NFSC and the only game that will give me a hiccup every now n then is Crysis/Warhead and NFSC due to my GPU. All the other games play flawless. You have 3 cores that can be overclocked easily to 3.5Ghz so in all you have a better CPU than me when it comes to games. You can always give your CPU a bit of a boost if needed :) 
December 15, 2009 9:16:18 PM

OvrClkr said:
Look at it this way, one of my gaming pc's has a dual core that is normally clocked at 3.6/3.7Ghz. I play MW1/MW2/L4D/L4D2/BF1942/BF2/Crysis/Warhead/Dirt/NFSC and the only game that will give me a hiccup every now n then is Crysis/Warhead and NFSC due to my GPU. All the other games play flawless. You have 3 cores that can be overclocked easily to 3.5Ghz so in all you have a better CPU than me when it comes to games and future-proofing. You can always give your CPU a bit of a boost if needed :) 

ah, cool, i did try overclocking, but i need a better cooler, but i'm gettting a good Xigmatek one at Xmas, think i will try ocing it to 3.5, that should be fast enough already with the right settings.

and yea, futureproofing itself never works, there's always a guys rig who has 4 GPUs in SLI, and next thing you know, a new GPU comes out with the power of 4 GPUS!

i think the way it works here is: if i feel that my rig is a utter piece of *** 4 years on, buy a new rig. 4 years is a while, my old rig before the homebuilt phenom II rig was a Emachine pentium 4 PIECE OF ***! And i thought i bought a top of the line rig off best buy! Man, i didn't know *** about computers back then.
a c 265 à CPUs
December 15, 2009 9:24:12 PM

I think that three cores is perfect for most gamers. To see this, turn on the task manager while you are gaming, and see how much your cores are used. I think you will be surprised. Tell us what you see.
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2009 1:29:50 AM

Most games don't use more than 2 cores, so if you have 3 you are more than good =)

Specially when that CPU was around 120.00$ What you need is that cooler and a decent OC and you will be good to go.....
!