Sign in with
Your question

Is this true about am2 and am3?

Last response: in CPUs
December 15, 2009 7:40:41 PM

"AMD Socket AM3 Processors

AM3 Processors work in AM2, AM2+ and AM3 Motherboards

AM3 CPUs have both a DDR3 memory controller and a DDR2 Memory controller integrated into the CPU. If you would like to use DDR2, buy a AM2+ motherboard for best performance. If you would like to use DDR3 memory you must buy a AM3 Motherboard. The primary distinction on the motherboard between AM2+ and AM3 is the memory used."

I had a friend come up to me with this question and cited this quote from online. I have never heard of this. Is any of that true?

More about : true am2 am3

December 15, 2009 7:49:51 PM

"If you would like to use DDR3 memory you must buy a AM3 Motherboard. The primary distinction on the motherboard between AM2+ and AM3 is the memory used."

yes it is... i cant say it anyother way lol... AM2+ = DDR2, AM3 = DDR3 =) AM3 processors have both memory controlers so they work on both sockets, but AM2+ dont have a DDR3 controler yet =)
m
l
December 15, 2009 8:17:57 PM

Ok thanks. I have a AMD PHENOM II X2 550 Black Edition and was curious if it would post in a AM2+
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 15, 2009 8:22:52 PM

prelude2250 said:
Ok thanks. I have a AMD PHENOM II X2 550 Black Edition and was curious if it would post in a AM2+

If the boards bios is outdated your 550 won't post, first of all you need to make sure that there is a Bios that will update the CPU code. Once you have the latest Bios you should not have any issues at all. I had the same issue with one of my boards that had a Kuma 7750, I ended up buying a 550 and before I installed it I had to update the Bios to make sure that the board would recognize the 550.
m
l
!