Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from a Core 2 Duo E6750 to i7

Last response: in Motherboards
March 16, 2010 11:48:43 AM

Hello,
I am looking for an upgrade from the Core 2 Duo E6750 to the i7 but my major concern is selecting the right motherboard.

Current Build:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Intel DP45SG motherboard
Kingston 2GB DDR3-1333
CM 460W Xtreme PSU
XFX ATI 5770 PCX GFX Card
4xSata II HDD's
1xSata DVD-RW Drive

I am looking at the Intel Core I7 930
RAM: Corsair Dominator 3x2GB Tri-Kit or the XMS3 3x2GB Tri-Kit

Motherboard choices:
Intel DX58SO
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Asus Rampage II Extreme

I don't intend to OC, and need a stable system. The confusion b/w Intel and Asus is that the Intel one has 4xDDR3 slots and the Asus one's have 6x. I would want advise which is the best way to go. I also don't intend to CFX/SLI anytime soon. Would be using 5-6HDDs (if possible) and a dvd rw on it, using the same gfx 5770. Also, I couldn't really get the difference between rampage 2 extreme and the deluxe v2. The Intel board is just a choice due to the fact that I've never used any board other than intel and they seem rock solid in stability for me, so I dont know how efficient and solid the other brands are.
Would appreciate any help
Thanks

(P.S: Gigabyte boards are not available here so I won't be able to get my hands on them, just got choices between Asus, Intel, EVGA which are available here in the market as for now)
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2010 11:55:03 AM

Eithier ASUS would be your best bet I like the Rampage II Extreme but souns very overkill for your needs so go with the P6t. Do not get an Intel board they just plain suck.
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2010 12:02:23 PM

The main 2 difference between the Rampage and the P6t

1 The rampage can run crossfire or SLI @16x 16x where as the P6T can only run @ 16x 8x IMO is not that much of a difference in speed if you do plan to run multiple GPUS

2 The only other one i see is its PATA controller Rampage has a ATA 133 where the P6t has a ATA 100 not a big deal since not to many PATA drives still in use.
March 16, 2010 2:05:30 PM

saaiello said:
Eithier ASUS would be your best bet I like the Rampage II Extreme but souns very overkill for your needs so go with the P6t. Do not get an Intel board they just plain suck.

Is Asus more stable and solid than the Intel generally speaking?
also I heard the Rampage II Extreme is bigger in size than the standard ATX ?
I got a Coolermaster CM690 case
else I'd go for the P6t
!