What do u think?

What's the aspect ratio and native resolution on your 17" monitor?

If resolution is (assuming a 4:3 aspect ratio) 1400x1050 or less, then a GTX260 or GTX275 are overkill. Serious overkill...

Save yourself some cash and get a Radeon 4850 512MB for $100-130.

Actually I think you'll find that Fermi =
fermi.jpg

Information that you should have included in your original post!

Given you already have a GTX260 and plan on buying a 24" monitor as well as wanting to have an SLI set up, then buy another GTX260.

BassBallz

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I'm running a GTS 250 on my 19" monitor (4:3 ratio) running games in 1280x1024 at highest resolutions possible. My games don't even skip at all. As you know the GTS250 is a lesser card than the 260 or 275, so doubling up might not be worth it.

So the question is, is it justified to spend more money on a marginal increase?

No, not unless you are getting the second card for next to nothing.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

How do you know it will just be a marginal increase when he doubles up on his card? He said he wanted to use a 24" monitor - which takes quit a bit more power than a 19" and I assume he will be using at least 1920 x 1280 - again a lot more than you are using. In addition, he may be playing games that require more and/or using higher settings.

The cheapest way to increase power is to SLI what he already has - a very logical choice. And some 250s are on sale now - the local Frys had a BFG GTS 250 on sale for only $79. I expect others may be on sale in anticipation of nVidia coming out with a new line soon (I hope).

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Why keep 2 SLI cards and draw/waste energy when you can sell your old 1 and buy these new very energy efficient single card which does a better job then the 2 cards in SLI or crossfire.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

Maybe because it costs a whole lot less. And I hardly consider it a waste of energy just because someone cannot affort to spend a lot more for the latest energy efficient cards. Have you already replaced yours? Have you bought your Ford Prius yet? How energy efficient are your TV and refrigerator? Do you use solar energy only for your heating and air conditioning? When are you going to install your windmill?

i personally don't think SLI/crossfire is a bad choice. sometimes it is one cheap way to gain more performance. new cards like HD58XX series is good but it depends on the person. unless he also need to upgrade his PSU for dual card setup then its a different story.

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Oh Pls Dont go off topic here.
We can save enregy in the smallest/simplest way possible. I cannot afford solar energy/windmill.
What I can do here to help in saving energy is spend a few dollors more and get 1 card instead of having 2 in the rig.

And stop thinking about the short term monetary gain by goin CF. Paying a little more by going for a single gpu which does the work of two gpus is offset by the savings in the energy bil in a year/2years time.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

First, I did not go off topic. You raised the issue of energy efficiency and I addressed that.

Second, we are talking about more than a little money. Essentially double the cost. One can purchase a good GTX 260 for $170 to $200. Let’s be generous and say $200.
The performance of GTX 260 SLI is approximately equal to a GTX 295 as shown on these THG charts:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/compare,1468.html?prod%5B2657%5D=on&prod%5B2675%5D=on

Now in its review of the 5870, THG reported:

The board consistently beats Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 285, trades blows with the Radeon HD 4870 X2, and is sometimes able to sneak past the GeForce GTX 295. …When you consider a $379 price point, the Radeon HD 5870 falls between the GeForce GTX 295 and the Radeon HD 4870 X2

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422.html

So lets give you that the 5870 = 295 = 260SLI

At the $379 price point, the OP must spend $179 more than he would for the 260 – essentially double.