znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hello. I have a 460w extreme power plus PSU from CoolerMaster and since I know nothing about PSUs I decided to ask the community if this one would suffice for running the following system:

P7p55d Pro mobo + Core i5 750 + 4GB Corsair 1600mhz 1.65v + HD4670 + 2 HDDs. No overclocking intended.

I'm looking forward to upgrade to this system but I'm kind of low on money. I wonder if my PSU will handle it without, you know, blowing everything up or something. I should be able to get a better PSU in a couple of months to replace this one. In fact I'm saving money for some more robust power supply like a Corsair 750w for future-proofness. Well the eXtreme Power Plus had served me well on my Athlon x2 4000+ system so far but I assume the i5 platform would be more power hungry.

And (why not) if you have some good reading about PSUs let me know, so I won't have to come back to ask the same kind of question in the future.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I did use a PSU calculator but I also question the quality of the product. I could easily buy a 700w+ power supply manufactured from some company I never heard of. As for the graphics card, I belive the 4670 is not that hard on the PSU. It doesn't even use a separate power connector but draws power directly from the PCI-Ex bus. Plus I was worried a 4 core solution would be more power hungry than a low end 2 core though I see your point there geofelt: my previous system was a 65nm one.

Well I'll just go for it since you guys seem to see no problem with this. Thanks! And I'll spend some time at jonnyguru.com.

You'll be fine.

ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 System Requirements

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

400 Watt or greater power supply

550 Watt or greater power supply for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

Those recommendations are for an entire pc system.