How to??

Psychotic

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2002
Due to the fact that at home I have a DSL connection on my desktop and I have just bought a laptop with wireless and also my sis is coming home and she has a wireless laptop, I'm wondering if its possible to connect them to the internet using the DSL connection.

I thought that if I could connect the desktop to a wireless router via ethernet, I'll be able to use that as a server and connect through its connection.

I'm I correct or am I going to a wrong path here? any help will be appreciated

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
As long as the DSL modem has an ethernet interface just buy a wireless router. If the modem is USB only that gets a little more complicated though there are a couple AP/ROuter combo's out there that do allow a USB modem however if your modem is USB only I'd probably just go ahead and replace it with a unit that does everything. Modem, Routing and wireless.

Psychotic

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2002
I don't want to change a modem so I thought that I could connect to the internet and then connect to the wireless router through an ethernet card. will that work?

Psychotic

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2002
It doesn't have one. I have an extra ethernet card on the computer. Cann't I connect it through that card to a wireless router?
so it will be like this:

internet---modem---computer---router

where the computer and the modem are through usb and the computer to the router through an ethernet card

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""internet---modem---computer---router""

no

internet---modem---router(with disabled DHCP connected to LAN port)---puterz

DSL modems are usually routers, so you need actually just an access point which router with disabled DHCP is.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i realize that this post is a little old but you can connect it this way
internet - modem - computer (through whatever interface your modem uses) - wireless access point

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: