Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfoot

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
AMD phenom ii x6 1090t black edition on an MSI 870u-g55 mobo. I was trying the famed 4.0ghz OC by only upping the fsb and the voltage. Keeping the voltage well within the limits, I booted at 4004mhz as rated by the bios. Entered windows (7 x64 ult) and got a report of 2.80ghz by windows. Checked CPU-z and got the correct numbers. Voltage was even lower than my bios specification which is good.

So onto testing. First was to run the windows assessment WMI to see if it detected the hardware change. I do this cause I'm frivolous. Anyways it gets to the CPU portion and I get a bsod crash. No big deal, it failed. Weird thing is that when I let it finish it's logging and turn off, the power indicator on my case was blinking steadily with no response from the power button. Weird. So I cut the power, clear the CMOS, plug the power back in, and the lights turn on and the fans begin to spin for all of half a second before everything shuts off.

Can't get the machine to boot anymore. Tried a brand new psu same model as my current. No luck. Tried the no ram beep test, nothing. Tells me it's a mobo or cpu failure. I hope it's not the CPU so I have a new mobo on the way (nice little upgrade if I do say so myself) just want to get some feedback. What do you guys think?

As a side note, if I brought in my processor, could best buy test it's functionality for me to confirm its working or not working? Nt sure if they offer that kind of service and for free? I have no spare parts except ram but my ram is fine. My graphics are fine too.

I consider myself well versed in electronics, especially computers. But like all non-grads, I miss some things. Basic steps. I always love to learn more so please feel free to suggest anything.

Solution
check your RAM in other machine it can damage by high OC FSB. next time if you want oc just up multiplier and FSB little maybe 210 - 220
cpu i bet. the only way to tell without part swapping would be to get a "PC POST Diagnostic Test Card Motherboard Analyzer for PCI/ISA" aka post card or power on self test card.
you plug the card into a pci slot and a number is displayed, the card comes with a manual with explanations to each code.

kingfoot

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Ram is fine. I brought its ratio down so it was really at 1525mhz when it's ddr3 1600 (ripjaws). Separate intel machine shows proper function.

Do you think best buy would have that kind of testing equipment (not to purchase but to test customer components)?

Also forgot to mention; this happened before. Same components. The weird thing is after reseating the CPU and cooler, I got it to boot again the third try by keeping the psu off, holding the power button and switching it on. There was a loud pop from somewhere near the CPU. Sounded like a transistor blowing but there was no scent and no visible or heat related cues as to that being the case. So dumb me had it working again and tried to OC again with a higher multi and lower fsb. And then the events in my fist post transpired and I'm here now.

Sounds like CPU to me which is a shame. I liked the proc. rock solid at 3.6ghz auto OC. Just wanted to hit 4.0. Only been near it with 3.98.

kingfoot

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Just hate that I gotta wait till mid to end next week for the new board. Cause it might just be CPU so the new board still means I have to get a new CPU too. I'm not super patient.

Just read the phenom BE OC guide and got some good info from there. Thought I knew more than I did but now I'm more confident. But not more patient haha.

kingfoot

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Alright posting back to follow up!

Great news, the replacement motherboard worked! CPU is fine, my guess is I fried one of the components near the CPU. Possible one of the voltage regulators. Anyways, back up and running with a substantial increase in speed. Also stable overclock to 3.8 without a hiccup. Now to get it to 4... !

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS