XP x64 sp2 error "cannot find update .INF file"

siliconejacket

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
trying to do a WIN XP x64 bit pro service pack 2 update and i keep getting a error saying "setup could not find the update .inf file needed to update your system"

any clue on how to remedy this?

thanks in advance

siliconejacket

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
found the solution for anyone that has the same problem but before i go into that ill explain what happened in detail
i built a new computer and without thinking i didnt realize to use my IDE HDD i could not use my CD-ROM drive due to the fact i only have 1 IDE connector socket on my MOBO. so i did some reasearch and found a program called "wintoflash" that makes a bootable copy of your OS setup disk image i put the files on the flash set up boot priority to USB and got where windows setup had started and finished setup. yet i still had to boot from USB due to a file .sif error when pc would restart for various installs but i still could get to the OS desktop from the usb

when trying to up date service pack 2 i got that error "setup could not find the update .inf file needed to update your system"

while that was going on i did some research on how to cut out the usb boot and found this

"I ran the boot.ini in the notepad (My computer (Right click)>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery(Settings)>Edit)
When you open it, you should change the values like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /bootlog
When it's done, you should restart and make sure you take the pendrive off. "

if you cant see what the difference is in your boot file its where it says rdisk(0) mine said (1) once i changed it to (0) took out the USB flash and restarted the comp i had the option to start win xp64 bit version. so HDD boot up fixed!

after that still frustrated with the fact im on SP1 i tried again to do WIN update and sure enough the update .inf issue was fixed as well

so anybody having similar issues due to the wintoflash this is definitely a place to start. i will re type this for better comprehension in the future but for the time ill be working on my comp.

HOPE THIS HELPED!=]