Need your guys inputs about my about-to-be-installed fans in my PC

ehcastro3

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I wanted to add more fans inside my chassis, but I think its a great idea to ask for your Tommies some insights first :)

1.) I plan on using 2 120mm fans as INTAKE for my rig, but the setup will be a bit different. I will be placing the 2nd fan about 2 inches in front of the other. Is this ok and effective? Or should 1 be enough? (please check the pic below)

2.) Almost all chassis now have an exhaust port. If I plan on placing an 80mm fan BEHIND the 120mm (and the chassis, making it protude just a little) will it be effective?

Heres a drawing so to help you understand a bit what I am asking about:

modprop2.jpg

(the two fans below the DVD drive are intakes)

TIA

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
More fans isn't always better, I just reccommend replacing the fans you already have with fans that are more powerful and have higher CFM. I just woudn't mess around with more fans because aircurrents can interfere with each other and fans aren't correctly placed, they can in turn your PC into a very effecient toaster oven so i just recommend replacing the fans already in there with the same sized fans but get ones with more power and cooling will be better.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
The 2nd fan will surely not do anything, the first one I doubt will be much help either.

What I do is just buy nice powerful fans and (neatly - my mom would be proud) connect them to some fan controllers mounted on the back side of my case. Just dial in the sweet spot between noise and airspeed.

Set up No. 1 is one you will find in cases like the Antec 1200 where your green one is the optional fan that can be added. The 1200 places it lower tho so you have one fan on either side of a probably empty middle HD cage glowing strong across the vid card.

The 80 behind the 120 won't work well as it will block lotta the air from the 120.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In principle, putting two fans in series as you suggest can increase the air flow through them. But when you measure HOW MUCH? increase, the answer is damned little. And it MAY be offset by having one fan interfere with flow from the other (your #2 case rear fan - 80 in path with 120) of from the extra heat added to the case by the fan motor (your extra front fan). I really doubt you could see any significant improvement in cooling (and hence in critical component temperatures) with this plan.

ehcastro3

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009

thanks...i guess i will chuck the idea of having another fan behind a 120mm exhaust...or maybe i will get a fan similar to it...