Ez mode (ASUS)

Hello There,

Looking into my second build since I'm bored with my 1055t and it's not the best at rendering, so will be swapping it out for the 2600k which should be quicker at stock speed correct? But I have a NH D14 so not worried about CPU cooling. I don't want 5GHz like some of you overclocking beasts, I just want somewhere around 4GHz - 4.3GHz. Now there is a thing on Asus motherboards called Ez mode I believe and it has it's own EPU (not sure if that the correct name for it) well it overclocks based on hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=lajZi-JAFXA&v=3vBN-cBPs98&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_887554 Skip to 4Min.

So is it good? as I said I don't want 5Ghz just a small overclock.

Thanks for all help guys ;0)
21 answers Last reply
More about mode asus
  1. The general consensus is to overclock manually (very simple) because the EZ mode tends to overvolt (use more power + generate more heat than necessary).

    Check out this earlier post:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271631-29-need-overclocking-asus-sabertooth-2500k
  2. When in the BIOS/UEFI, set Ai Overclock Tuner to Manual. Make sure BCLK/PEG Frequency is at 100.0.

    Change the Turbo Ratio to 45 for starters. Only change your multiplier, don't mess with the BCLK.

    Internal PLL Overvoltage can be left at AUTO or disabled since this is a minimal overclock. Enable it when you're trying for 4.8GHz+.

    Set Load-Line Calibration to Ultra-High.

    Change the VRM Frequency to 350 or 360.

    Set Phase Control to Extreme. The same goes with Duty Control.

    Leave CPU Current Capability at 100%.

    CPU Voltage is where it can get tricky. Some CPUs might need more voltage than others. So start off with 1.32v and if that isn't stable, increase it two notches.

    DRAM voltage is your memory voltage, you can get the read from the side of the sticks. And don't forget to adjust your Memory Frequency.


    Is this it?
  3. the auto tuning on my asus board put it up to over 4.8ghz on my 2600k and was spiking up to 1.6v through it

    nearly gave me a heart attack seeing 1.6v going through my new 2600k

    small overclock like you want is only a matter of turning the multiplier up--i can get to 4.6ghz without touching

    anything else at all so 4.0ghz to 4.3ghz should be simple
  4. mcnumpty23 said:
    the auto tuning on my asus board put it up to over 4.8ghz on my 2600k and was spiking up to 1.6v through it

    nearly gave me a heart attack seeing 1.6v going through my new 2600k

    small overclock like you want is only a matter of turning the multiplier up--i can get to 4.6ghz without touching

    anything else at all so 4.0ghz to 4.3ghz should be simple


    Holy heatsinks! 1.6 volts! Would you think I even need to adjust voltage for 4.2GHz?
  5. majorgibly said:
    Holy heatsinks! 1.6 volts! Would you think I even need to adjust voltage for 4.2GHz?


    no you should get easily to 4.2ghz only by upping the multiplier no voltage adjustment needed

    and the other peculiarity i noticed--dont know if its the way these boards work or will be fixed with a bios update

    but when i gave it a good old overclock manually in the bios setting the cpu voltage manually meant it stayed there even when speedstep and other power saving settings were enabled

    ie --i set 50 x 100bclk at 1.4v = 5ghz

    but when speedstep drops it to 1600mhz under idle in windows the cpu voltage stays at 1.4v

    so setting the vcore manually seems to lock it there
  6. what about ram timmings
  7. i just left them all at default at 1600mhz

    though when i tested the highest bclk i could get i got to 107 so that did overclock the ram a bit--far as i

    understand it higher ram speeds not as important on this platform so i just stuck with 16gb corsair vengeance at

    1600mhz--was much cheaper than higher speed ram

    may muck about to see if i can drop them from 9-9-9 to 8-8-8

    one thing i am not too clear on is these are 1.5v ram and dont know if you can up that to 1.65v on z68 or not to

    clock them better---maybe some one can tell me that
  8. mcnumpty23 said:
    i just left them all at default at 1600mhz

    though when i tested the highest bclk i could get i got to 107 so that did overclock the ram a bit--far as i

    understand it higher ram speeds not as important on this platform so i just stuck with 16gb corsair vengeance at

    1600mhz--was much cheaper than higher speed ram

    may muck about to see if i can drop them from 9-9-9 to 8-8-8

    one thing i am not too clear on is these are 1.5v ram and dont know if you can up that to 1.65v on z68 or not to

    clock them better---maybe some one can tell me that


    I was told 1.5. I need some RAM which will fit under the Noctua lol any ideas? I wonder if this will
    G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X
  9. they do corsair vengeance in low profile

    intel recommend 1.5v but some ram makers are saying you can use 1.65v

    wasnt sure about long term effect on the imc (internal memory controller] if using 1.65v

    i have a corsair h80 so ram height wasnt an issue
  10. mcnumpty23 said:
    they do corsair vengeance in low profile

    intel recommend 1.5v but some ram makers are saying you can use 1.65v

    wasnt sure about long term effect on the imc (internal memory controller] if using 1.65v

    i have a corsair h80 so ram height wasnt an issue


    Does that involve me getting out a hack saw lol. or can I buy it without heatsinks lol
  11. these are the low profile corsairs

    and if you look further down at the white corsair ones they are only 1.35v so maybe when ivy bridge boards

    come out 1.25v to 1.35v will be the new standard

    http://www.ebuyer.com/274035-corsair-8gb-2x4gb-ddr3-1600mhz-low-profile-vengeance-memory-kit-cl9-cml8gx3m2a1600c9?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products
  12. Yeah I was on amazon, those white ones look amazing. Might get a white case to match my ram. Never had a colour coordinated build have you?>
  13. nah--i am more of a what it can do type of person than a what it looks like person

    hence my cable tidying skills--or lack of them--its like spaghetti junction in there --would be embarrassed to post

    a photo of inside my case

    but its fast so i dont care :D
  14. mcnumpty23 said:
    nah--i am more of a what it can do type of person than a what it looks like person

    hence my cable tidying skills--or lack of them--its like spaghetti junction in there --would be embarrassed to post

    a photo of inside my case

    but its fast so i dont care :D


    You think your cable management is bad...Check this out lol

    http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk306/majorgibly/SAM_0004.jpg
  15. similar psu as me--corsair 750w

    much tidier cable management than me--lol

    though in my defense i have more stuff in my case and wires for the flashing case feet i did one day

    when i was bored

    i have routed a lot behind the motherboard but its still a disaster area

    must be a natural talent of some kind--not sure what kind though

    that coolers huge--can see why it may be an issue fitting ram under it
  16. mcnumpty23 said:
    similar psu as me--corsair 750w

    much tidier cable management than me--lol

    though in my defense i have more stuff in my case and wires for the flashing case feet i did one day

    when i was bored

    i have routed a lot behind the motherboard but its still a disaster area

    must be a natural talent of some kind--not sure what kind though

    that coolers huge--can see why it may be an issue fitting ram under it


    C'mon take a quick snap of yours lol! I showed you mine you show me yours lol. The NH D14 is a monster!
  17. dont say i didnt warn you--and believe it or not i spent over half an hour routing cables when i put my 2600k in to

    try and get it tidy

    do you think there may be an equivelant of those home guru people who come in and redo your house that do

    pcs as well? --think i need one

    and look at the state of my fans--cant remove them to clean them as the cables run behind the motherboard to

    the fan controller connectors so its a pain to remove the 3 x 1800mm fans on the case bottom

    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z330/mcnumpty23/ravenrv02.jpg
  18. mcnumpty23 said:
    dont say i didnt warn you--and believe it or not i spent over half an hour routing cables when i put my 2600k in to

    try and get it tidy

    do you think there may be an equivelant of those home guru people who come in and redo your house that do

    pcs as well? --think i need one

    and look at the state of my fans--cant remove them to clean them as the cables run behind the motherboard to

    the fan controller connectors so its a pain to remove the 3 x 1800mm fans on the case bottom

    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z330/mcnumpty23/ravenrv02.jpg


    Nice lol, I hate that case do you like it?
  19. its got good points and bad

    the main thing is the cooling especially the graphics card is fantastic

    and the connectors on the top of the case instead of the rear suits me as the case is on the floor--so saves all

    that trying to see behind the case to plug stuff in carry on
  20. mcnumpty23 said:
    its got good points and bad

    the main thing is the cooling especially the graphics card is fantastic

    and the connectors on the top of the case instead of the rear suits me as the case is on the floor--so saves all

    that trying to see behind the case to plug stuff in carry on


    All look backwards. How easy was the install to case.
  21. easy install--no problems
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking