mas91978

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Easy question for you guys, as I am a noob. I currently have a i7 3930K O/C to 3.8 GHz on a Rampage IV Extreme MOBO. If I upgrade my BIOS will I lose my overclock settings? Thank you in advance!

Solution
Generally Yes, as most manuf ask that you use "default" settings to perform the BIOS upgrade. This is a safty precaution to reduce the chance of making a Brick out of your MB.
Just copy down the bios settings that you currently have, do the Bios update, then after reboot, change first all setting NOT related to OC. Check system stability. Then reapply your OC settings.
Generally Yes, as most manuf ask that you use "default" settings to perform the BIOS upgrade. This is a safty precaution to reduce the chance of making a Brick out of your MB.
Just copy down the bios settings that you currently have, do the Bios update, then after reboot, change first all setting NOT related to OC. Check system stability. Then reapply your OC settings.

Solution

mas91978

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Thank you Chief. Guess I will just leave be and not upgrade. Just received from Cyberpower and don't know how to, or want to touch Bios settings and O/C settings. I just am picky about keeping things up to date whether they need to be or not...Thank you again!!

On BIOS updates. Generally if you are not having a problem, as the old sayings - if it is not broke, don't fix it.

Myself I normally keep my bios upto date as they also include some improvements in addition to bug fixes. Been do bios updates for years and have not bricked one yet, knock on wood.