Can't format Mico SDHC Card

paddybliss

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I've just bought a 16gb Micro SDHC Card (Memory Star) for use in my phone and ah having trouble formatting it in Win 7 Pro 64.

When I first put it in the machine (using a USB adapter) it recognised 14.9gb of Fat32 memory, so seemed to be working ok.

I need it in NTFS, so tried to reformat it in window (full, not quick). It got to about 3/4 way through and just hung (I left it for over an hour and it didn't budge). When I put the card in again it didn't show in My Computer, but Device Manager could see the USB adapter, and by clicking Volumes and Populate, it had it showing up in My Computer again and was able to format it, but when I removed it and put it in again, it was gone.

Now anything I try basically points to the fact that the computer simply cannot see the memory any more. I can sometimes see it it My Computer, but when I click on it I get “Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (F:). If I try to format it I get: “There is no disk in drive F:. Insert a disk, and then try again.”

I have tried this in two computers (both Win 7 Pro 64) and with two USB Micro SDHC card adapters, which work perfectly with other Micro SDHC cards. I’ve also tried formatting it in my mobile phone and 3rd party formatting software, but nothing seems to be able to see it.

So it appeared to work to start with, but I’ve either messed it up or done something wrong.

Any ideas?

paddybliss

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008

Further to this, i've just tried CardRecover software, and it has found 3021899 bad sectors! So it sounds like it corrupt, unless anyone else has any ideas of how it can be rescued or formated?

charlie cosmic

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Hi,

Just to shed some light on your problem, if originally it showed 14.9gb available on your 16gb card, it was already formatted to "New File Table System" or NFTS for short. why re-formatting to NFTS should cause this problem God only knows.

"File Allocation Table"32 only allows upto 4gbs minus the Registry information as on all types of drive.

Hopfully this info will help your understanding of drives.

Charlie C
[:charlie cosmic]

paddybliss

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Thanks Charlie

It was originally formated as Fat32, i think you can have 16gb or more in that format, but the file size is limited to 2gb, which i why i needed NFTS. Just seems completely corrupted now.