Sign in with
Your question

Can you mix Corsair DDR2 1066 with OCZ DDR2 1066?

Last response: in Memory
March 16, 2010 6:30:42 PM

Good afternoon everyone!

I had a question that I couldn't seem to find the exact answer to looking through the forums and google and whatever else search engine that I had used.

Due to my recent switch to 64-bit Win7 Ultimate I realized that the current memory I had was not enough.

I am currently using 2GB (2x1GB) of the Corsair Dominators and I have linked the newegg product page below:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The following link is what I wish to purchase and run with my current 2GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know the timings are different, the Corsairs being 5-5-5-15 and the OCZs being 5-5-5-18, but my MoBo can have up to 8 GBs of RAM and I know how to change the timings through my BIOS. My question is whether or not I can run both sets of RAM at the same time or if I can even change the BIOS for different timings.
a b } Memory
March 16, 2010 7:20:34 PM

They should work fine together since both are rated the same voltage and they are very similar timings.
m
l
March 16, 2010 7:23:24 PM

Thank you JDFan for a quick response! appreciate it a lot :D 
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2010 8:31:36 PM

2gb is fine for windows 7 64-bit. i don't know what you do on your PC but unless you are playing games simultaneously or video editing, you probably aren't even using all 2gb. watch your task manager/performance to see how much memory you are actually utilizing.

ps - i just did exactly what you did. bought 4gb on top of 2gb when i upgraded to windows 7 64-bit. i had a bad stick and rma'd it, and when i did i decided to watch and see how much ram i actually used. i never got above 1.8gb.

just food for thought. no reason to spend the money if you don't need it. btw, i didn't notice a single difference from 2gb to 6gb.

to answer your question jdfan has it right. the only other thing is that one set of the memory sticks may OC better/worse than the others. if you can find the same brand/model as the memory you currently have and you are convinced you need it, that would be your best bet.

btw, windows 7 doesn't use that much more memory than xp does with common, every-day like tasks. so if you were good with 2gb on xp, you are good with 2gb on windows 7 most likely.
m
l
a b } Memory
March 16, 2010 9:06:32 PM

Sure, but the motherboard will use the lowest common timing, which is 5-5-5-18, or it could try to use an even looser timing. It's usually best to have the modules the same, but they should work fine together ^_^
m
l
March 16, 2010 9:47:32 PM

Thank you all for the responses.
Tuffluck, I do have a lot of things going on at the same time.

Usually watching something on Hulu, chatting it up, and running some sort of game on my 2nd monitor, I seem to always be reaching 1.9gbs of usage and it slows my comp down terribly
m
l
a b } Memory
March 17, 2010 7:03:44 PM

Ideally, you should NEVER mix 2 different memory types. It will "probably" work but if you get 2 kits that will not mix properly then you are stuck. Your best option is to buy a 4GB or even 8GB kit that is prematched.
m
l
October 12, 2011 5:03:34 PM

I am too facing the same problem... i have 800 mhz ddr2 2X2gb OCZ memory... which is not available right now.. instead same config Corsair ram is available.. what should i do... sell my ocz ram and get corsair 8gb or try and mix both with the existing ocz memory??
m
l
October 12, 2011 5:04:24 PM

I am too facing the same problem... i have 800 mhz ddr2 2X2gb OCZ memory... which is not available right now.. instead same config Corsair ram is available.. what should i do... sell my ocz ram and get corsair 8gb or try and mix both with the existing ocz memory??
m
l
!