Can you mix Corsair DDR2 1066 with OCZ DDR2 1066?

Good afternoon everyone!

I had a question that I couldn't seem to find the exact answer to looking through the forums and google and whatever else search engine that I had used.

Due to my recent switch to 64-bit Win7 Ultimate I realized that the current memory I had was not enough.

I am currently using 2GB (2x1GB) of the Corsair Dominators and I have linked the newegg product page below:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

The following link is what I wish to purchase and run with my current 2GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298

I know the timings are different, the Corsairs being 5-5-5-15 and the OCZs being 5-5-5-18, but my MoBo can have up to 8 GBs of RAM and I know how to change the timings through my BIOS. My question is whether or not I can run both sets of RAM at the same time or if I can even change the BIOS for different timings.
8 answers Last reply
More about corsair ddr2 1066 ddr2 1066
  1. They should work fine together since both are rated the same voltage and they are very similar timings.
  2. Thank you JDFan for a quick response! appreciate it a lot :D
  3. 2gb is fine for windows 7 64-bit. i don't know what you do on your PC but unless you are playing games simultaneously or video editing, you probably aren't even using all 2gb. watch your task manager/performance to see how much memory you are actually utilizing.

ps - i just did exactly what you did. bought 4gb on top of 2gb when i upgraded to windows 7 64-bit. i had a bad stick and rma'd it, and when i did i decided to watch and see how much ram i actually used. i never got above 1.8gb.

just food for thought. no reason to spend the money if you don't need it. btw, i didn't notice a single difference from 2gb to 6gb.

to answer your question jdfan has it right. the only other thing is that one set of the memory sticks may OC better/worse than the others. if you can find the same brand/model as the memory you currently have and you are convinced you need it, that would be your best bet.

btw, windows 7 doesn't use that much more memory than xp does with common, every-day like tasks. so if you were good with 2gb on xp, you are good with 2gb on windows 7 most likely.
  4. Sure, but the motherboard will use the lowest common timing, which is 5-5-5-18, or it could try to use an even looser timing. It's usually best to have the modules the same, but they should work fine together ^_^
  5. Thank you all for the responses.
    Tuffluck, I do have a lot of things going on at the same time.

Usually watching something on Hulu, chatting it up, and running some sort of game on my 2nd monitor, I seem to always be reaching 1.9gbs of usage and it slows my comp down terribly
  6. Ideally, you should NEVER mix 2 different memory types. It will "probably" work but if you get 2 kits that will not mix properly then you are stuck. Your best option is to buy a 4GB or even 8GB kit that is prematched.
  7. I am too facing the same problem... i have 800 mhz ddr2 2X2gb OCZ memory... which is not available right now.. instead same config Corsair ram is available.. what should i do... sell my ocz ram and get corsair 8gb or try and mix both with the existing ocz memory??
  8. I am too facing the same problem... i have 800 mhz ddr2 2X2gb OCZ memory... which is not available right now.. instead same config Corsair ram is available.. what should i do... sell my ocz ram and get corsair 8gb or try and mix both with the existing ocz memory??
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR2 Corsair Product