Making your computer your SLAVE. How to keep from working more than y

marquix

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have a big question. A big big one that I know will have multiple answers, differences of opinion and even people who do not really understand the depth of my inquiry. To keep it simple... here it goes...

Scenario:
Before my computer was like my best friend. A cute gadget. My apple on the desk that allowed me to learn and explore shiny moving figures across the screen that I could tell to move and blink and save stuff. Then it evolved to my buddy, my PC. The newer cooler one that had an awesome display. More life, magic windows pictures, music and all kinds of stuff. I learned how to save time, create things people would say wow to and - The thing is this. I appreciate everything and I'm really glad I learned a whole lot but now I come to find out that I work more than my computer does. That is not right. How can I continue when the script has been flipped and now my my computer makes me work than "he". I'm determined that computers can make you cash, but really.... thousands out there in the real world make money without a computer, so why should I stick with it anymore - that is my issue. Why stick with computing when it no longer seems fun and as cool as it once was.

I no longer want to work more than my computer. How do I make a computer my slave and make it work longer, harder and productively so that I can relax and idle like it does.

What field should I get into now and what computer do I need to get? What computer will suffice? (to keep it exciting, even though this is real - feel free to just assume I do whatever your interest is in so that others and I can learn from your response)

I hope this post makes me a long term TomsHardware Forum Lover . You guys seem to all be and I just want to join the club :)

Cordially,

Mark

I don't know what you expect us to do. I almost never have to do anything to keep my computer working, and after the initial configuration, my computer has pretty much done exactly what I want. If you have a specific issue, we can help, but we can't do anything with a generic useless comment like "How can I make my computer work for me?".

This link might be what you're looking for...Work At Home Jobs

Truly though, all things loose luster over time and it seems to me that you have reached the point where you've out grown the idealized and romantic notions of what it means to work for a living and are facing the cold hearted reality that is the work-a-day world. Welcome to being a grown-up...now put on your big boy pants, drink some coffee and quit trying to find ways to "get rich quick" and be a productive contributing member of society!

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
The thing you need to keep in mind is that your PC is just a tool. A very sophisticated, high-tech tool, but a tool none the less. A tool doesn't do the work for you, it makes it faster/easier/simpler for YOU to do the work.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Well, I think brute intimidation can solve many of life's problems. I had a Laptop and a Desktop computer, who both decided they didn't want to work for me anymore. SO, I sent the laptop to Israel, and had him executed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/macbook-gun-shot-israel-security,9269.html

Yeah, then I casually tossed pictures of this execution all in front of the Desktop, and was like "If you don't start working for me, you're next Buddy. You're freaking next."

And, then, next thing you know, he started behaving again. Works like a charm.

One of the wisdoms I've learned through life is that often the things that you really love to do become no more than chores if you try to make a living at them. It's part of the nature of earning a living - you have to do it on the customer or the boss's terms, not on your own. There's something to be said for keeping your most cherished activities as hobbies and using your job to pay for them...

LOL - classic! :)

My favorite robot was the one in that ancient 1950's sci-fi movie, Forbidden Planet. Given a sample of something, he could reproduce anything, including lots of whiskey! :p However he could learn a thing or two about dramatic acting from the arm-flapping "Danger! DANGER, Will Robinson!!" robot, even though the latter seemed to do nothing else useful.

When my first wife was pregnant with our daughter, I'd go to the Lamaze classes and flap my arms and shout "DANGER!" instead of doing the breathing exercises. The husbands in the class all thought it was hilarious; the wives not so much...

Probably explains why we got divorced later :p...

Lol, well I like to have fun as much as the next guy. Women don't always seem to get it, luckily for me the one I'm with now gets most of what I do and say and laughs.

You have to remember the famous, "uuuughhh" and both arms drop from the body and he leans forward when he is disabled, lol.

Can anyone think of any other moves/sayings he did? lol

Interestingly enough the same robot you mention (Robby the Robot) was in Lost in Space in 1966 & 1967:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robby_the_Robot

That was a wicked looking robot at the time, lol. I remember that catching my attention and getting worried the B9 was going to get destroyed, lol. Good stuff!

marquix

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009

Hey Chunky,

That's easy for you to say when you're sitting on a i7 setup. I figured out I think I need to upgrade systems and get a little more serious with the web stuff I do. It's a combination I believe. Speed does have something to do with it and even though I sit on an Aeron Herman Miller chair when I work, I noticed just recently that shuffling your work area into like a standing desk and such, can really get the ideas flowing. I think I just need something more challenging and want to play with programs that can run on auto more often. That would entail that I probably get into server stuff so I recently decided to buy a Dell 2850 for testing purposes and my first dip into real stuff. The other thing is that I feel bummed working on stuff alone and want to meet more friends that are into the computer stuff. This probably why I'm treading the waters on the forums. Sort of impersonal but definitely more focused on your interests. I lost touch with forums a few years back but now understand how important they will be in keeping it interesting.