USB ports don't work, yet it boots from a USB drive

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Windows XP
  • USB
  • USB Drive
Last response: in Motherboards
March 16, 2010 6:55:46 PM

We're pretty sure we need a new main board, for our Windows XP machine, because none of the USB ports can recognize USB drives. (Even after a clean reinstall of Windows XP.)
However it can boot from a bootable USB drive! We can't explain that. We're about to buy a new main board, but wondering if anyone has seen that problem before. Any comments would be appreciated.

More about : usb ports work boots usb drive

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2010 2:41:53 AM

Newest MB drivers and Service pack 2 correct? You could also try resetting the bios and going to failsafe defaults.
March 17, 2010 4:13:22 AM

THis may sound stupid, but have you tried turning off your computer at the wall for a few minutes?

I had a similar problem, when my computer started saying 'usb device malfunction' or something like that, and after some research and other failed attempts I found others who had simply turned off their computer for a bit and when it was powered up again it worked fine!

Worked for me - see what happens

Oh,and as for the booting from USB still, I found that only the drives I removed and tried to replace were ther ones that didnt work.
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2010 12:09:59 AM

Yes, we had the machine unplugged, for more than a day, but still has the problem. It also runs very slow.
Resetting the BIOS sounds like a good thing to try - will try that, and follow up how that works.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 12:16:46 AM

Sounds like to me you didn't install the chipset drivers for your motherboard.
m
l
March 25, 2010 9:44:20 PM

I tried resetting the BIOS to defaults - that made no difference. Tried installing windows on a new hard drive - the install froze 3/4 of the way and would not complete. Pretty sure now it needs a new main board. It is a curiosity though the way it can still boot from a USB drive. This machine is new enough to make the investment worth it.
About chipset drivers, whenever I've done a new install of Windows XP, it seems flash drives always work right away, even before adding the chipset drivers, as if windows has some built in generic USB support. If I could get Windows installed I would try that though. Thanks very much for the comments.
m
l
April 5, 2010 3:02:51 PM

To follow up, we were finally able to get Windows XP installed, after rebooting and restarting several times. But the USB ports still don't work. When a flash drive is plugged in, it flashes once, but nothing happens and it is not recognized. We're planning on buying a new (or used) main board, eventually, and will follow up on how that works.
m
l
April 5, 2010 3:04:20 PM

Best answer selected by Dave-PL.
m
l
!