Replacing invalid security ID, Win 7 64

rlubocki

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Perhaps someone can help... I have 3 hard drives, 1 Windows 7 64 ultimate, and 2 ssd drives that I keep my files on.
For some reason I cannot access the 2 hard drives from windows explorer (I CAN access the files and drives in tree size, and xplorer2). OS cannot open them, and is unable to retrieve properties. When I reboot, checkdisk kicks in and starts running replacement of invalid security. Since I got my new SSD, I've been using 2 os hard drives, switching them back and forth, while keeping 2 data drives stationary. Maybe they lost track of permissions of their content because of switching between 2 os hard drives? How can I fix this issue? One drive is 1.5 TB and 2.0 TB. Again I can access them in file management software. File permissions were always sketchy and suspicious in my current setup. Thank you for any feedback,

Robert

PS, what would you recommend for software to prevent this in the future?

I'm going to take a guess here. I'll tell you what bit me after I did a reinstall.

If you have two OS drives, then each OS has different unique identifiers for the same account. When I did an OS rebuild, all the directory trees that used to be owned by "Peter" were now had permissions granted to something like "S-1-5-21-346691086-2920044697-4026809194-4451." Ultimately, I ended up granting full control of most trees to all users, and the ones that were personal I put access to the account named "Peter" in both OSes. Each one sees the other one's protection information as uninterpretable crap.

Is this a close hit?