Toshiba A45 series restore DVD

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 28, 2004 4:05:18 PM

Archived from groups: japan.comp.toshiba,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I've been examining the materials packed with my wife's A45-S120 and
looked at the contents of the reconfiguration DVD. From my own experience
with earlier Toshiba models, reconfiguration options were very generous;
allowing you a complete wipe and restore if needed, or a selective
itme-by-item replacement of missing or broken items without starting from
scratch.

The A45 DVD seemed to have almost no identifiable files ... until I found
a handful of huge data files which appeared to be disk images; perhaps
generated by Norton Ghost. Does this mean that individual drivers or
components cannot be restored without starting from scratch? Has anyone
used a recent Toshiba reconfiguration DVD and done so?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 28, 2004 4:05:19 PM

Archived from groups: japan.comp.toshiba,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>I've been examining the materials packed with my wife's A45-S120 and
>looked at the contents of the reconfiguration DVD. From my own experience
>with earlier Toshiba models, reconfiguration options were very generous;
>allowing you a complete wipe and restore if needed, or a selective
>itme-by-item replacement of missing or broken items without starting from
>scratch.
>
>The A45 DVD seemed to have almost no identifiable files ... until I found
>a handful of huge data files which appeared to be disk images; perhaps
>generated by Norton Ghost. Does this mean that individual drivers or
>components cannot be restored without starting from scratch? Has anyone
>used a recent Toshiba reconfiguration DVD and done so?

No matter what's on that disk you want the newest programs and drivers
for that model:
http://tinyurl.com/2svmx
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 28, 2004 6:11:12 PM

Archived from groups: japan.comp.toshiba,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <kjheb0dsaqo90o47m837kv62od5prb4559@4ax.com>,
AndrewJ <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote:

>>I've been examining the materials packed with my wife's A45-S120 and
>>looked at the contents of the reconfiguration DVD. From my own experience
>>with earlier Toshiba models, reconfiguration options were very generous;
>>allowing you a complete wipe and restore if needed, or a selective
>>itme-by-item replacement of missing or broken items without starting from
>>scratch.
>>
>>The A45 DVD seemed to have almost no identifiable files ... until I found
>>a handful of huge data files which appeared to be disk images; perhaps
>>generated by Norton Ghost. Does this mean that individual drivers or
>>components cannot be restored without starting from scratch? Has anyone
>>used a recent Toshiba reconfiguration DVD and done so?
>>
>No matter what's on that disk you want the newest programs and drivers
>for that model:
>http://tinyurl.com/2svmx

I've already looked there and downloaded everything relevant, in case they
are needed in the future.

There are LOTS of things installed in the machine that are not available
as separate downloads. Off hand: modem on hold utility, DVD quiet mode
utility, Drag'N'Drop CD-DVD, B's Clip (packet writing), the DVD player
software and codecs [whose name I forget right now], and quite a bit more.

Can these be installed as separate elements to an already populated system
using the restore DVD?
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2004 7:22:18 PM

Archived from groups: japan.comp.toshiba,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

What you get for "reconfiguration" of laptops varies widely. However
ONE of the trends is exactly what you describe -- a CD with "image"
files that can ONLY restore the hard drive to EXACTLY it's factory
configuration -- it's "all or nothing", you may have no options at all.

Note, however, if this is the case, you can often make your own options.
In most (but not all) cases, the reinstallation leaves an "I386"
folder on the hard drive (the location varies, sometimes in the root of
C:, sometimes in a "restore partition", sometimes burried on drive C:
but not in the root). If this folder is complete (and it usually is),
it's the equivalent of a retail Windows XP install CD. Burn it to a CD,
and you can do custom, non-standard reinstallations of Windows XP
(ONLY). It may or may not have the model-specific laptop drivers
already included (usually not). As for the various drivers (often a
dozen or more), they often are included on the restore CD, even when the
restore CD is an "image" type restore. Alternatively (and better,
because it's updated), drivers can almost always be downloaded from the
manufacturer's web site.

Mike S. wrote:

> I've been examining the materials packed with my wife's A45-S120 and
> looked at the contents of the reconfiguration DVD. From my own experience
> with earlier Toshiba models, reconfiguration options were very generous;
> allowing you a complete wipe and restore if needed, or a selective
> itme-by-item replacement of missing or broken items without starting from
> scratch.
>
> The A45 DVD seemed to have almost no identifiable files ... until I found
> a handful of huge data files which appeared to be disk images; perhaps
> generated by Norton Ghost. Does this mean that individual drivers or
> components cannot be restored without starting from scratch? Has anyone
> used a recent Toshiba reconfiguration DVD and done so?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2004 5:11:48 PM

Archived from groups: japan.comp.toshiba,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <40B8AABE.3000506@neo.rr.com>,
Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:

>Mike S. wrote:
>
>> I've been examining the materials packed with my wife's A45-S120 and
>> looked at the contents of the reconfiguration DVD. From my own experience
>> with earlier Toshiba models, reconfiguration options were very generous;
>> allowing you a complete wipe and restore if needed, or a selective
>> itme-by-item replacement of missing or broken items without starting from
>> scratch.
>>
>> The A45 DVD seemed to have almost no identifiable files ... until I found
>> a handful of huge data files which appeared to be disk images; perhaps
>> generated by Norton Ghost. Does this mean that individual drivers or
>> components cannot be restored without starting from scratch? Has anyone
>> used a recent Toshiba reconfiguration DVD and done so?
>>

>What you get for "reconfiguration" of laptops varies widely. However
>ONE of the trends is exactly what you describe -- a CD with "image"
>files that can ONLY restore the hard drive to EXACTLY it's factory
>configuration -- it's "all or nothing", you may have no options at all.

I'm aware of this. I guess the point of my posting - and the specific
question asked at the end - was to solicit information from Toshiba owners
who had actually _used_ the A45 series restore DVD to determine what
options are actually offered. I'm not willing to tae the chance of trying
it when not needed, at risk of losing changes and installs my wife has
already made. Perhaps the Ghost images really re-create installation
routines which function like the old Toshiba reconfiguration CD's compkete
with menu-driven configuration options. I don't know. I was hoping someone
may have had the need to try. Maybe, then, nobody reading has actually had
to use one.

>Note, however, if this is the case, you can often make your own options.
> In most (but not all) cases, the reinstallation leaves an "I386"
>folder on the hard drive (the location varies, sometimes in the root of
>C:, sometimes in a "restore partition", sometimes burried on drive C:
>but not in the root). If this folder is complete (and it usually is),
>it's the equivalent of a retail Windows XP install CD. Burn it to a CD,
>and you can do custom, non-standard reinstallations of Windows XP
>(ONLY). It may or may not have the model-specific laptop drivers
>already included (usually not). As for the various drivers (often a
>dozen or more), they often are included on the restore CD, even when the
>restore CD is an "image" type restore. Alternatively (and better,
>because it's updated), drivers can almost always be downloaded from the
>manufacturer's web site.

Thanks. I'm aware of the ability to archive the i386 folder and this is a
trivial exercise on a machine having a built-in CD writer and mastering
software.

Actually - and, again, as I indicated in an earlier reply in this thread
- it's the applications (and some utilities) installed in the machine that
are not available as downloads on the Toshiba support site that I would
like to be able to individually re-install if needed.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 12:06:34 AM

On all Toshiba models from at least the last 2 or 3 years if you insert the
DVD or the first CD in the drive while in windows you will get a popup
showing the various restore options. On some models (mainly corporate) you
can create a custom installation boot floppy disk. On all models you can
select the option to do a full restore and the computer will reboot from the
DVD or CD and start the full restore the same as if you just booted from the
disc. Also on all models you will have an option to install or reinstall
all drivers and most apllications. Some applications come on separate discs
and won't show up here. If your model shipped with microsoft works there is
a full setup directory off of the root directory that you should burn to a
CD. This is the only way to get that program back without doing a full
restore.

BTW, if you have autorun disabled or it doesn't work for some reason, open
the disc in windows explorer and run the only EXE in the root directory
(usually INSTALL.EXE or SETUP.EXE).

Either way this will show you just what you have the capability of
installing without having to do a full restore

Good Luck.

PS: The ghost images you see are used to do the full restore and are made
from a master hard drive with all of the factory software installed.

On Sun, 30 May 2004 13:11:48 +0000 (UTC), retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.)
wrote:

:>
:>In article <40B8AABE.3000506@neo.rr.com>,
:>Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
:>>
:>>Mike S. wrote:
:>>
:>>> I've been examining the materials packed with my wife's A45-S120 and
:>>> looked at the contents of the reconfiguration DVD. From my own experience
:>>> with earlier Toshiba models, reconfiguration options were very generous;
:>>> allowing you a complete wipe and restore if needed, or a selective
:>>> itme-by-item replacement of missing or broken items without starting from
:>>> scratch.
:>>>
[...]
May 31, 2004 12:59:02 AM

In article <o3fkb019a8sv9h6alls6cjv84rv8tt8hvg@4ax.com>,
OTG <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>On all Toshiba models from at least the last 2 or 3 years if you insert the
>DVD or the first CD in the drive while in windows you will get a popup
>showing the various restore options. On some models (mainly corporate) you
>can create a custom installation boot floppy disk. On all models you can
>select the option to do a full restore and the computer will reboot from the
>DVD or CD and start the full restore the same as if you just booted from the
>disc. Also on all models you will have an option to install or reinstall
>all drivers and most apllications. Some applications come on separate discs
>and won't show up here. If your model shipped with microsoft works there is
>a full setup directory off of the root directory that you should burn to a
>CD. This is the only way to get that program back without doing a full
>restore.

Thanks. This is exactly the type of reply I was looking for!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 4:11:00 AM

Archived from groups: japan.comp.toshiba,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Well, I bought an A45-S121 for my son on Friday (the $599 deals that
both Best Buy and Circuit City were offering). It's not a high-end
machine, quite the contrary, and it's no speed demon, but having used it
for a few hours, it's an excellent deal at $599 (or, I should say "was",
because I was at Circuit City today and they are now $849, although they
have a similar HP for $649).

Anyway, I did look at the restore DVD (and it is a DVD; I first put it
into my desktop's CD drive, and thought that something was wrong).

There IS a folder on the DVD that contains a separate manual restore
folder for each and every piece that the DVD installs. It's the "COMPS"
folder in the root directory of the restore DVD. Note, there are
approximately 350 different "pieces" of software that you can install,
and the function of these is far from clear. An interesting comment,
for each of the 350 or so apps, there is (generally, in almost all
cases) a text description file (*.txt) of what that program is/does.
This is very useful, although some of these don't tell you much, but
most are at least somewhat helpful.

Also, the default installation DOES create a FULL "I386" folder with
both WINNT.EXE and WINNT32.EXE.

So, between the two previous paragraphs, the tools are definitely
present to let you do pretty much anything that you want to.

Some interesting comments on the A45 series:

-On our unit, the product key for the installed Windows XP was not the
same as the key given on the printed label on the bottom of the
computer. The unit was factory sealed, and there is no doubt that it
had not been tampered with, or even booted up prior to our opening the
box. I have recorded both product keys.

-The power unit for this model is 15 volts at 8 amps. That's 120 watts,
the highest wattage of any laptop that I've seen. Suposedly an
Alienware model uses 160 watts, but that's a high-end model, this is a
"budget" laptop. Also, they have gone away from the standard "coaxial"
power supply connector to a propritary 4-pin connector.

-It has 2 fans and passive liquid cooling of the CPU.

-The intake for one of the fans (the main CPU fan) is on the bottom of
the unit. The unit is designed to sit at a significant angle when
placed on a flat, hard surface, creating an air gap under the laptop.
If you try to use this on a bed, blanket, cushion, etc., you will
probably fry it.

-All accessories except the hard drive are installed from the top by
removing the keyboard. Only the hard drive is installed from the
bottom. The other covers on the bottom are for fan and heatsink access.
Instructions for removing the keyboard are included in the end-user
documentation (3 screws). Hard drive replacement is from the bottom,
and is straightforward (coverplate held by screws). You can actually
see the hard drive through air vent holes in the cover.

-The unit has two DRAM SO-DIMM sockets. One was occupied with a 256 meg
DDR PC2700 module. The specs call for PC2100 memory, not PC2700. I
added a 128 meg PC2100 module, and the computer is happy and working
with 384 megs of memory.

-There is a surprising amount of preinstalled software that seems to be
devoted to DVD-RAM support, SD card reader support, Wi-Fi support, etc.
This model does not have any of those devices. Also, it comes with
"one note" which is primarily a tablet-PC application. This all strikes
me as extremely odd.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 4:24:47 AM

Archived from groups: japan.comp.toshiba,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <40BA79B4.1040905@neo.rr.com>,
Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>Well, I bought an A45-S121 for my son on Friday (the $599 deals that
>both Best Buy and Circuit City were offering). It's not a high-end
>machine, quite the contrary, and it's no speed demon, but having used it
>for a few hours, it's an excellent deal at $599 (or, I should say "was",
>because I was at Circuit City today and they are now $849, although they
>have a similar HP for $649).
>
>Anyway, I did look at the restore DVD (and it is a DVD; I first put it
>into my desktop's CD drive, and thought that something was wrong).
>
>There IS a folder on the DVD that contains a separate manual restore
>folder for each and every piece that the DVD installs. It's the "COMPS"
>folder in the root directory of the restore DVD. Note, there are
>approximately 350 different "pieces" of software that you can install,
>and the function of these is far from clear. An interesting comment,
>for each of the 350 or so apps, there is (generally, in almost all
>cases) a text description file (*.txt) of what that program is/does.
>This is very useful, although some of these don't tell you much, but
>most are at least somewhat helpful.

I'll have to have another look! I saw that folder, and the text files, but
not the installs that each one described. Perhaps I wasn't looking at
hidden files...

>Some interesting comments on the A45 series:
>
>-On our unit, the product key for the installed Windows XP was not the
>same as the key given on the printed label on the bottom of the
>computer. The unit was factory sealed, and there is no doubt that it
>had not been tampered with, or even booted up prior to our opening the
>box. I have recorded both product keys.

I wonder if all the imaged hard drives have the same install and same
product key in the registry.

>-The power unit for this model is 15 volts at 8 amps. That's 120 watts,
>the highest wattage of any laptop that I've seen. Suposedly an
>Alienware model uses 160 watts, but that's a high-end model, this is a
>"budget" laptop. Also, they have gone away from the standard "coaxial"
>power supply connector to a propritary 4-pin connector.

So .. is this a Compal machine or a Toshiba machine?

>-The intake for one of the fans (the main CPU fan) is on the bottom of
>the unit. The unit is designed to sit at a significant angle when
>placed on a flat, hard surface, creating an air gap under the laptop.
>If you try to use this on a bed, blanket, cushion, etc., you will
>probably fry it.

You could probably say the same about a lot of other models that don't
have a fan at the bottom. I've had earlier Toshiba models overheat on beds
and blankets simply because all the heat gets trapped below.

>-All accessories except the hard drive are installed from the top by
>removing the keyboard. Only the hard drive is installed from the
>bottom. The other covers on the bottom are for fan and heatsink access.
> Instructions for removing the keyboard are included in the end-user
>documentation (3 screws). Hard drive replacement is from the bottom,
>and is straightforward (coverplate held by screws). You can actually
>see the hard drive through air vent holes in the cover.

Where is the mini-PCI slot?

>-There is a surprising amount of preinstalled software that seems to be
>devoted to DVD-RAM support, SD card reader support, Wi-Fi support, etc.
> This model does not have any of those devices. Also, it comes with
>"one note" which is primarily a tablet-PC application. This all strikes
>me as extremely odd.

Not if, as I hinted above, all the A45 series machines are imaged from a
single master disc regardless of actual hardware contents.
!