COMPUTER SLOW DOWN DRASTICALLY

rajabray

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hello,

I noticed my computer slowed down drastically since Feb 2012, programs / games response time too long / more often don't respond.

I am using Win XP Home SP3, had 512 MB RAM, still shows it, earlier downloaded programs ran normally, today tried a very small game with no 3D, it responded / ran 10 times slower than earlier, I don't use 3D.

Windows and MSE is updated every third / fourth day (though it's done auto), can't tell which update made this slow. Computer boots and shuts down normally. IE8 never responds timely, even tried Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, no better, every 5-10 minutes have to clear internet cache and temp files. If these are not cleared, download never happens.

Also seen the HDD that there are DMA (and not PIO). I tried a program Jardinians (not used recently) & it showed MEMORY ACCESS VIOLATION.

I removed KB940157 (Windows Search 4.0) and tried MBAM (anti-malware), nothing wrong.

Don't know what to do, PLEASE HELP.

Regards - B Ray

For one thing 512mb RAM should be upgraded to whatever you can afford, MAX it out if you can.
MBAM is great scanner, but not a cureall. It is a supplement to your AV. Run other scanners and rootkitrevealer to check for infections.

rajabray

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Sir,

Tried my best (not sufficient) to get my system back to old performance, I know 512 MB is not enough at all, in time I shall love to upgrade to Win 97 with 4 GB, when possible.

SAS Free found out 5 Registry Items infected with BROWSER HACKERS and some other ADWARES were there in Files, Memory Items were not infected. Removing them didn't do any good.

I reloaded Win XP Home SP2 (formatting the whole disk, NOT QUICK) and updated everything after installing SAS & PrivateFirewall (both free), but, they are not that perfect (sas not real time).

Now, the system is 70% ok, tested with games (not running smoothly), IE8, other programs & Mozilla FrFx is ok.

If you can suggest something better, please inform.

Regards - B Ray [ brayraja@gmail.com and raja1bray@gmail.com ]

rajabray

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Also, I tried AVIRA replacing MSE before reloading XP SP2, it didn't give me any real time Web Protection despite of all the criterias fulfilled, so now again I'm back to MSE.

You were wise to reinstall, as with infections, one can never be sure the removal was 100% complete.
If you are running XP/SP2 (you mention this twice) continue updating thru SP3, as well as the hotfixes that follow that (there are many updates).

The Free version of AVAST (for Home users) will give you Realtime protection,
but then again, with only 512mb RAM, you are going to suffer slowdowns.
Take a trip to this site. www.crucial.com
You can run their Online Scanner, or enter your computer model to get all information regarding your RAM requirements, and get cost of upgrading with compatible memory sticks. You can then use the information to shop around for cheaper prices for memory.

You can RUN msconfig, go to the startup Tab, and uncheck any applications you do not really need loaded at startup time, to reduce memory usage.

alishathomaz

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Hope these guidelines helps you to fix this error.
Remove unused programs
Install and run antispyware software
Free up wasted space with Disk Cleanup tool
Defragment your hard disk drive
Disconnect unused network connections:
Click Start, and then click My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Disconnect Network Drive.

Select the network drives that you no longer need, and then click OK.

rajabray

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Dear alishathomaz

I'm replying you first -
I've installed, update and scan everyday whole computer with SUPERAntiSpyware Free, also installed Privatewall Free (and blocked those sites sending malwares, names got from SAS Log File).
I don't use any unnecessary programs (even removed downloaded games).
I regularly use CCleaner to remove temp files and cookies etc (overwrite 3 times pass) and also run Disk Cleanup once in a week.
Defragment whole HDD weekly (both 2 partitions).
I have only one network connection and this desktop is not networked with anyone else.

Regards

rajabray

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Dear ksiemb

My SP3 is updated with the express updates and not optional-s, auto update is also working there. These updates really took much time.
Now the removal is sure 100%.
I can try AVAST, but, now it's running at 70-75% as I told earlier as MSE doesn't take that much resource. Shall AVAST take resource same / more / less ? I shall not give a try to AVIRA, it just wasted my time.
I shall visit CRUCIAL as you suggested.
I know, if I have to continue my net job, I have to upgrade my CPU. Only memory sticks / cards shall not help.
For startup - Soundman, HP, SAS, PvtFirewall and the sys files are necessary, average 300 (+/-) MB Mem remains free.

Regards.

ok, but your main problem is insufficient memory ! You are probably wasting time writing (swapping) files to and from disk because there is not enough RAM to function.