Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7 processors only support DDR3-1066 Max!!!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • DDR3
  • Intel i7
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2009 3:29:13 AM

I am trying to choose an i7 processor, and I wanted to get one that works with DDR3-1600, only to find out on Intel's website that the i7 series of processors (even the extreme editions) say they only support DDR3-1066 Max. Is this True!?

I have no knowledge of overclocking, and I don't think I am going to try to OC my system. If that is the case, is there any point to buying DDR3 ram higher than 1066? I had planned to get a 6 GB Mushkin Redline Kit DDR3-1600, but now I'm thinking this may be pointless, and I should look for a 6GB DDR3-1066 kit instead.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

More about : processors support ddr3 1066 max

a b à CPUs
December 16, 2009 4:16:03 AM

Set the options in BIOS to the frequency you want.

Or overclock your computer - all you have to do is change two numbers:
the QPI and voltage....

You usually won't have to do anything with the QPI voltage or RAM timings...
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 16, 2009 5:49:54 AM

stanktrain said:
I am trying to choose an i7 processor, and I wanted to get one that works with DDR3-1600, only to find out on Intel's website that the i7 series of processors (even the extreme editions) say they only support DDR3-1066 Max. Is this True!?

I have no knowledge of overclocking, and I don't think I am going to try to OC my system. If that is the case, is there any point to buying DDR3 ram higher than 1066? I had planned to get a 6 GB Mushkin Redline Kit DDR3-1600, but now I'm thinking this may be pointless, and I should look for a 6GB DDR3-1066 kit instead.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Intel only validates them to 1066, but leaves the ratios available for 1333 and 1600 also. The only crippled processors where the engineering samples Intel sent review sites and motherboard manufacturers prior to stepping D1.
Related resources
!