Dead MotherBoard?

axlslash

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I built a nice little gaming pc for myself a few years back and all has been well up until this point. Supposedly my wife turned it on while I was at work and it made a funny noise and then shut off. She said it then came back on and shut off a couple times(bios resetting Im sure) and then completely shut off. She then left it alone. When I got home I of course tried to turn it on and nothing. PSU is running, case fans, cpu fan, GPU fan all run but the bios wont boot at all. It wont even beep, I have nothing to work with. I unplugged everything from the mobo, still the bios wont load. I took the CMOS battery out and back in, hoping it might reset or something, no luck. I assume its dead?

My Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775. I bought it a couple years ago along with my Q6600 CPU. According to the specs on newegg it is still under warranty, but I have been overclocking my CPU from 2.4ghz to 3.4ghz. Its ran absolutely stable for the past couple of years without any problems, will Gigabyte still warranty me? Here is a better look at it: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2599

Does anyone know of anything else I could try? Thanks in advance....

You haven't mentioned anything about testing your RAM, have you tested it yet? If not, download and burn to disc MemTest86+ from memtest.org. If memtest passes w/o errors, you may have a bad PSU or mobo.

You could also test for a short by pulling the mobo out of the case and breadboarding it.

axlslash

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

I cant boot a cd, bios wont boot. I would run some diagnostics but I simply cant. I removed all 4 of my 1GB DDR2 1066 memory sticks in hopes the bios would boot, no luck. Thanks for the reply...

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The first thing you should test is your psu. If you know that is good, your mobo is the next likely fault.

Did your mobo use to beep when it powered on? If it did it should beep constantly if you attempt to power on with out ram (provided everything else is working properly). If it doesn't beep and the psu checks out ok its probably your mobo.

TRENDING THREADS