Looking at an offer now, computer best described as for gaming --

sporkbearer

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
although mainly I'll be using it for other things. I explain things a bit better here.

It's fairly urgent though. I'm keeping my screen (22" LCD) and power supplier (650W, nearly brand-new, can't seem to find any of the specs at the moment). Otherwise, this is what they're offering:

i5-750 LGA 1156 Package 2.66GHz processor
Intel Whitesburg DP55WB motherboard
Crusial (Micron) 4GB DDR-3 1333MHz (2x2GB) RAM (Reputable manufactorer? Do I realistically need more?)
Gainward BLISS Geoforce GTS-250, 512MB

Other parts are largely incidental. Also an option to upgrade to a Warrensburg DP55WG for approximately fifty Dollars, and a Gainward GTX-275, 896MB(possibly 1G? Not sure) for circa 200. The first I'll probably take. The graphics-card I'm rather unclear about, but I understand there will be new models coming-out soon, possibly effecting prices if nothing else. Similarly, I've been given to understand the i5 motherboards may have longer shelf-lives than the i7's? I could really use some advice in general, as well as specifically about the above components, or anything else I should keep in mind.

(My budget's fairly flexible at this point, but of-course I'd prefer to be cost-effective.)

sporkbearer

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
I should add I'm unlikely to do any overclocking (well, not intentionally anyway.. hopefully won't overwork it either) and that I'm particularly uninformed about the motherboards.

The i5-750 is a good cpu. It will run the same on any P55 based motherboard. Buy the least expensive P55 motherboard that has the features that you need, and don't pay for an enthusiast motherboard unless you anticipate multiple vga cards or record breaking overclocking. Anything form Intel, Asus, EVGA, or Gigabyte should be reliable. Don't worry about obsolescense, by the time you replace the i5-750, the new cpu's will require a new chipset anyway.

As to the graphics card, it is the most important part for gaming. A 22" monitor will usually be 1680 x 1050. How good does your gaming need to be? Here is a good article on what it takes:
http://www.guru3d.com/category/vga_charts/

The graphics card market is quite competitive. You mostly get what you pay for. The GTS250(aka 9800GTX) would serve you well. A ati 4850 is comparable. A step up would be a GTX260-216 or GTX275, or the 4870 or 4890.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Actually, the mainboard upgrade is a good one. You will get a better audio and networking chipset, as well as more flexibility with peripherals (PCI & PCI Express add-in cards and more USB headers). It is worth the extra $50. As for stepping up the graphics card...it all depends on what you are planning to play in the near future. The GTS 250 will at the very least play the latest games at the highest resolutions with some of the eye candy turned off. To spend an additional $200 on a 275 is a bit much when you can purchase the same hardware aftermarket for only about $50 more. I would stick with the 250 and sock away the additional $200 for an upgrade in about 8-12 months.

sporkbearer

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll take the P55WB. If nothing else, it'd like to have the option to SLI, faint as it is, and it appears to be a good board all around. I think the GTS250 should be plenty for me at the moment, though I'll probably spring the extra ~20$ for a full giga RAM. Resolution really isn't a big concern for me by and large - I actually notch it down significantly under most circumstances to see better (my eyesight's rather wretched - it's the reason why I have a 22" screen in the first place, and why I prefer not to overclock or otherwise fiddle with my own hardware). Games are a bit different, of-course - for one thing, there's hardly any reading - but I do feel just a little self-conscious about paying for a card I'd constantly underwork.

I'll probably place an order tomorrow. The only last minute considerations left are the case and the option of going with an i7-860 instead. The price would be quite manageable, I'm inclined to take it at the moment, but I'm wondering how much of a boost it really represents, and whether I'd be better off just going with a 920 and shelling-out a bit more on a p58 at that point.

Incidentally, I've finally managed to track-down the specs for my PCU - it's a HEC Couger 650W.

gamepro127

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I would go with an AMD ATHLON II X4 Quad-Core for $100 and a 250 GTS. Very good combo, max's every game no problems!

You wont really see a difference with the i7 unless you upgrade to a higher-end graphic card: ex 295GTX

The FPS would 99.99% of the time be the exact same rather if you have an AMD ATHLON II X4 or an i7.

woozyM

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll take the P55WB. If nothing else, it'd like to have the option to SLI, faint as it is, and it appears to be a good board all around.

You can't dual card with the intel p55wb

G

rather get the warrensburg and an ati card, like the hd 5770