Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crossfire power supply question?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2009 3:27:00 AM

I recently built my pc and didnt think I wanted to crossfire but now I want too. BUT!!! I got a psu with only 2x 6 pin connectors and 4870 take 2. So my question is can I use 1 6pin on each card and use a 6pin to 2molax connector on differnt molax lines on each card? The only issue i see is not enough amps but if that is the only issue what harm would it cause ?? (poor performance??) Thanks in advance
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2009 3:29:15 AM

What is your PSU? (Info on wattage, amps, and if possible amps for wattage output)

A 4870 needs two connectors or it won't boot. Two of them needs 4. Overloading your PSU can kill your computer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 144 ) Power supply
October 13, 2009 3:38:41 AM

Hags said:
The only issue i see is not enough amps but if that is the only issue what harm would it cause ??

Probably none. But you'd get a lot of random reboots during periods of heavy 3D loads - games.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2009 6:22:41 PM

It should work with no problems, split the 6 pin and the 8 pin to each GPU using the 12V3 rail and a molex connector to each card off the 12V2 rail. I'd usually rather see a 750w with the 4 PCIe connectors for crossfiring 4870s, but i wouldn't replace the 650w Earthwatts in your case.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
!