Slow disk performance

rbrookes

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hi all,

I've got a Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H c/w Core i5-750, 8Gb Ram and a Raptor 300GB drive running Windows 7 32 bit Professional

Disk performance seems quite poor. It ranks as 5.9 in the Windows disk score but bootup and in general it's sluggish.

I tried installing a Crucial C300 64Gb in instead and again same score as above and sluggish so I'm thinking it's the motherboard.

Any ideas, inspiration or otherwise?

Thanks......

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

The windows experience index is a fairly rough scale, but 5.9 is about average for a mechanical HDD, as the lowest component. What are the scores of the other components listed?

Might consider getting actual transfer speeds on the HDD by downloading HD Tune and running the file transfer test, to see if you are getting 100 - 125 MB/s transfer rate, or if that is the bottleneck. You can also check the SSD with it, or download the AS SSD Benchmark SSD testing utility designed for the newer SSD's. Both are free for non commercial use. Here are the links for those two applets.

www.hdtune.com

downloads.guru3d.com/AS-SSD-Benchmark-download-2569.html

Don't forget to redo the 'Windows Experience Index' when you add a new or faster component.