dagunn007

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hey all,

Couldn't find an answer anywhere (thanks Google...) so I came here again :D

So I have to fans at the front of my case that I put in myself, and the cables aren't long enough to reach to any fan pins on the motherboard, so I'm looking to either get an extension or a splitter (ie, 2 fans connect to the 1 cable to run of 1 set of pins), and the splitter seems easier to get (and cheaper). The only thing is that my fans have 3 pins (they have LED's if that helps) and with the length I need (30cm+) I can only find 4 pin ones (unless I pay through the roof for the 3 pin ones).

So basically my question is, can I plug my 3 pin fans into a 4 pin splitter into a CHA_FAN slot on the motherboard, or will it cause problems?

Thanks all! :na:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30cm-4-Pin-PWM-Fan-Y-Cable-Splitter-Sleeved-Black-/250820024654?pt=AU_Components&hash=item3a6609d94e#ht_1779wt_1163 - Just so you know what I mean

Solution
The 4th pin allows PWM controlled speed, 3 pins will plug into 4 pin sockets but control signal won't be sent and fans will run at max. 3 pin fans don't have PWM controlled speed. So it's fine.
It will work. Or you solder in some wire extensions to the 3-pin connectors you already have. Strip the wire ends, slide on shrink-wrap tubing, twist wires together, solder the connectors, slide the shrink-wrap over the solder and apply lighted match or other flame. You can get the shrink-wrap and solder from radioshack.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The 4th pin allows PWM controlled speed, 3 pins will plug into 4 pin sockets but control signal won't be sent and fans will run at max. 3 pin fans don't have PWM controlled speed. So it's fine.

Solution