Sign in with
Your question

My hard drive quit working

Last response: in Windows XP
March 8, 2012 1:43:20 PM

i have a dell dimension 3000 and at first it only had 1 hard drive and then i added another one just for free space and it has 40.00gb and on the hard drive it says you can't go over 350gs and i don't no how much memory i used on it and it quit working but first i noticed it quit after i was using the StreamTransport program the hard drive has NTFS on it and each time i try an click on it to open it up it says the disk in drive D is not formatted. do you want to format it now? and I've tried to reformat it but it wouldn't work i tried NTFS and tried exFAT then it says the disk in drive D can not be formatted so next what i will try is put it in another computer and if it don't work I'll take it apart and destroy it i don't use any virus protection because i heard to much bad about them and can't afford one so thats how it is i hate to brake it but if i have to i will,

so if anyone might could help it would probably help me out i did have alot of other install programs on that hard drive i had windows xp home on it & durcom and alot more.
a b \ Driver
March 8, 2012 3:45:09 PM

mike127 said:
i have a dell dimension 3000 and at first it only had 1 hard drive and then i added another one just for free space and it has 40.00gb and on the hard drive it says you can't go over 350gs and i don't no how much memory i used on it and it quit working but first i noticed it quit after i was using the StreamTransport program the hard drive has NTFS on it and each time i try an click on it to open it up it says the disk in drive D is not formatted. do you want to format it now? and I've tried to reformat it but it wouldn't work i tried NTFS and tried exFAT then it says the disk in drive D can not be formatted so next what i will try is put it in another computer and if it don't work I'll take it apart and destroy it i don't use any virus protection because i heard to much bad about them and can't afford one so thats how it is i hate to brake it but if i have to i will,

so if anyone might could help it would probably help me out i did have alot of other install programs on that hard drive i had windows xp home on it & durcom and alot more.

1) - First off, you are not doing yourself any good running without AV protection. There are plenty of free ones on the net for Home users. AVAST, Microsoft Security Essentials, are two. Avira, and AVG I believe have free versions also.

2) - Get into "Disk Management" and see what is reported on the drive, file system, drive letter, status etc. Also is it internal or USB external ?
m
l
March 9, 2012 3:55:23 AM

ksiemb said:
1) - First off, you are not doing yourself any good running without AV protection. There are plenty of free ones on the net for Home users. AVAST, Microsoft Security Essentials, are two. Avira, and AVG I believe have free versions also.

2) - Get into "Disk Management" and see what is reported on the drive, file system, drive letter, status etc. Also is it internal or USB external ?

i really don't know witch one it is. what i did was i added the hard drive to this computer and put NTFS on it and its set as the slave drive and the Disk Management says that i can not clean it up and it says make sure that the disk in drive D: is closed thats what it says when i go to clean it up i think i might have had this problem before i unhooked the hd and put another one in and it saw it but it can't see the NTFS one and my C drive is NTFS also all that was on the D: drive was hidden files
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2012 4:01:43 AM

ksiemb said:

one other thing i only have 56k dial-up networking and its slow downloading anything
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 9, 2012 6:03:59 AM

mike127 said:
one other thing i only have 56k dial-up networking and its slow downloading anything

You don't know which one it is ? If you put the 2nd drive inside the case it is internal, if you put it in an enclosure tht sits outside the case and connected it, it is a USB external drive. I am assuming you have it inside the case, that you can boot ffrom the C: drive ok, that you hooked up the problem drive with the second set of contacts (further up the data cable), and that the jumper on that drive is set to cable select (CS), or slave. Correct ?

When I referred to disk management, I was not referring to disk cleanup.
Right click "My Computer" > "Manage" > then click "Disk Management"
You will see all your disk drives: File system, status, capacity, free space etc.
Things look normal as compared to your C: Drive ? If not, then somehow something you downloaded was destructive, but don't take the hammer to it just yet !

Your other Issues: You won't get any speed with a 56k dial up modem, unless you upgrade to DSL Cable, or wireless. Your unit shipped with
128-, 256-, 512-, or 1-GB nonECC Memory and has a 2GB Maximum. What do you have installed ?

m
l
March 10, 2012 1:34:33 AM

yeah its inside the box but then what should i do once im on device-manager i see the st340014a hard-drive listed

i did download avg7 or 8 last year it took 8hours to download it

anyways here is what it says This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

I'll click that and see what happens if nothing then I'll uninstall Stream-Transport video downloader

mine does have the 256
m
l
March 10, 2012 1:48:30 AM

ksiemb said:
You don't know which one it is ? If you put the 2nd drive inside the case it is internal, if you put it in an enclosure tht sits outside the case and connected it, it is a USB external drive. I am assuming you have it inside the case, that you can boot ffrom the C: drive ok, that you hooked up the problem drive with the second set of contacts (further up the data cable), and that the jumper on that drive is set to cable select (CS), or slave. Correct ?

You will see all your disk drives: File system, status, capacity, free space etc.
Things look normal as compared to your C: Drive ? If not, then somehow something you downloaded was destructive, but don't take the hammer to it just yet !

Your other Issues: You won't get any speed with a 56k dial up modem, unless you upgrade to DSL Cable, or wireless. Your unit shipped with
128-, 256-, 512-, or 1-GB nonECC Memory and has a 2GB Maximum. What do you have installed ?

yeah its inside the box but then what should i do once im on device-manager i see the st340014a hard-drive listed

i did download avg7 or 8 last year it took 8hours to download it

anyways here is what it says This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

I'll click that and see what happens if nothing then I'll uninstall Stream-Transport video downloader

mine does have the 256

well the troubleshooter didn't help
m
l
March 10, 2012 2:10:41 AM

ksiemb said:

i for got to say to it just might be the flat-wire i have 9 other hard drives all of them with windows xp home installed on them im gonna unhook the c drive and hook one of the other ones in and see what happens after that and im going to take a better look at the wire i could unhook the DVD drive and hook the d drive to that and see if it would work first
m
l
March 10, 2012 3:17:09 AM

ksiemb said:

i figured out what it was one of the prongs on the hard drive was broken off but i don't see how it got like that now i have to put a new or used prong on well i see this is going to be a hard one to do
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 10, 2012 8:37:38 AM

mike127 said:
i figured out what it was one of the prongs on the hard drive was broken off but i don't see how it got like that now i have to put a new or used prong on well i see this is going to be a hard one to do

Mike127: I had that happen once. Fortunately it was a prong on the end of the data cable , and there was just enough of the prong left, that seating the data cable by pressing down on that end, and leaving the other end a bit upward, made the connection.
m
l
March 10, 2012 8:51:19 AM

ksiemb said:
Mike127: I had that happen once. Fortunately it was a prong on the end of the data cable , and there was just enough of the prong left, that seating the data cable by pressing down on that end, and leaving the other end a bit upward, made the connection.

yeah i guess all that it was was the prong it was the prong on the hard-drive i just took one off of a old junk hd and put it on and then it worked i should have looked at that in the first please but i didn't
m
l
!