Sign in with
Your question

Does brand of Thermal Compound matter?

Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2009 6:31:40 AM

ok, so currently I'm running my CPU using TC-1996 http://www.buy.com/prod/dow-corning-tc-1996-thermal-gre...

but the same exact CPU that I'm running which I got from ebay was included with a whitish paste that looks like Arctic Silver 5. does it matter which one I use? and why? the TC-1996 seems to be working and I haven't had any freezes or nothing. Should I replace it with the white paste instead anyway? the TC-1996 is very dense and glue-like, while the white paste is sticky like cream and easily spread out.

I just want to know because I'm getting a new video card, and once my system works and functions I don't want to ever take it apart or mess with it unless I have to. Should I leave the white paste for backup, or replace it with the current one?

my spec:

ASUSTek Computer INC Mobo (A7N8X Deluxe)
AMD Athlon XP: Thoroughbred, Socket A 2700+
3 gigs of RAM (Corsair 2 sticks regular of 1 each, and the 3rd XML)
GeForce 5500
200G Seagate (Master)
500GB Wester Digitital SATA
LG DVD Writer
Coolmax AP-550X Power Supply
WinFast TV2000 XP Expert WDM TVTuner

More about : brand thermal compound matter

a b à CPUs
December 16, 2009 7:55:25 AM

If you're not overclocking:

"Don't fix what ain't broken."

AS5, MX-2, TX-3, etc are important to overclockers as the additional 1~5C might mean more headeroom. For everyone else, the stock thermal compound is usually enough.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
December 16, 2009 1:42:07 PM

I have been using AS5 for quite a awhile. I have never noticed any significant difference in temperature before or after "break in".

Maybe I wasn't applying it correctly. :(  Or perhaps not holding my tongue right during application.

:kaola: 

OK. That worked. CPU temps dropped 12 C that time. :bounce: 
m
l
!