Nightlife e-guide now downloadable

Prima strategy guide

---but only if you live in the USA unfortunately. They did have two
specimen pages though for the rest of us.

Skeats
27 answers Last reply
More about nightlife guide downloadable

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:16:06 GMT, "Fizziwig2"
    <atthebackofthenorthwind@kingdomcom.co.uk> wrote:

    >Prima strategy guide
    >
    >---but only if you live in the USA unfortunately. They did have two
    >specimen pages though for the rest of us.

    Yeah, how come? I mean, don't they take international credit cards?
    Pretty silly.
    --

    Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    your neighbourhood could be next!

    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:16:06 GMT, "Fizziwig2"
    > <atthebackofthenorthwind@kingdomcom.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Prima strategy guide
    >>
    >>---but only if you live in the USA unfortunately. They did have two
    >>specimen pages though for the rest of us.
    >
    > Yeah, how come? I mean, don't they take international credit cards?
    > Pretty silly.

    Legal reasons, actually. Mostly they are too cheap to hire a lawyer who
    knows various European (and Australian) laws involving commerce. But also
    European countries tend to have free speech restrictions. For instance,
    Germany bans Nazi stuff. Most WW2 games feature Nazis, and thus, so do the
    guides. Thus the guides for those games would be illegal in Germany. Libel
    laws are also stricter there - the German leader sued some newspaper for
    claiming he dyed his hair. It's not unusual for games to have hidden
    political commentry. Beyond Germany, I've heard about some people in the UK
    getting arrested for not using the metric system. Granted, I think that was
    for selling stuff in pounds, but it could worry a company.

    What we need is somebody in America to do the downloading for us. Then
    simply mail the link one way and transfer the money the other.

    MM

    Fizziwig2 wrote:
    > Prima strategy guide
    >
    > ---but only if you live in the USA unfortunately. They did have two
    > specimen pages though for the rest of us.
    >
    > Skeats

    Link please?

    Jeanie

    Well, I don't think they were arrested but it is now a requirement to sell
    stuff in metric measures which is a bit of a bugger for anyone over the age
    of 40 or so because we all think in pounds and ounces. I think the sellers
    who protested and continued to sell in pounds were taken through the courts
    though, to force the issue.

    Best wishes
    maxon

    Jeanie wrote:

    > Link please?
    >
    > Jeanie

    Here it is:

    http://estore.primagames.com/eguide_detail.aspx?prodid=EA2118

    I'm still deciding if I want to do this or buy a hard copy.
    I could print it out, but I don't have a color printer. I
    really like being able to grab the guide and look something
    up while I'm in the middle of game play, so I'm thinking I'll wait.

    Laura

    It's probably all in b&w anyway and I could
    print only the parts that apply to Nightlife.
    Plus, it's only $9.99, where I'm pretty sure
    I paid twice that for the others...

    Laura

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:35:59 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Well, I don't think they were arrested but it is now a requirement to sell
    >stuff in metric measures which is a bit of a bugger for anyone over the age
    >of 40 or so because we all think in pounds and ounces. I think the sellers
    >who protested and continued to sell in pounds were taken through the courts
    >though, to force the issue.

    To be honest though, they're just measurements. A lot of people act
    like it's your national pride on the line. Having different languages
    is one thing, having different measurements is just silly. I think we
    should use the measurements that make the most scientific and
    practical sense. Celsius is a decent scale because water melts at 0
    and boils at 100. I never did understand why the US for instance
    insisted on farenheit, which makes very little sense. As for length
    and distance the metric scale also makes more sense because it
    operates in units of 10, 100 and 1000, not 12 etc. :-)
    --

    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:11:49 GMT, "Maxon"
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >>
    > And how exactly is it now?
    >
    > Britain drives on the left, uses miles and feet and inches and pounds
    > and uses celsius!

    Yes that's right but we are slowly converting to metric. Pounds are out -
    now it's kilograms and grams which is less intuitive. Also inches and feet
    are beginning to go too and shorter measurements are now in centimetres and
    metres - again less intuitive. I'm afraid we'll always drive on the left -
    you see it's better that way.

    I've heard all sorts of reasons for driving on the right some involving
    Napoleon and his sword arm. mmm I'm sure that can't be right. Or perhaps
    it's why the British drive on the left - your sword arm is always on to the
    middle of the road and you are able to defend yourself from other road users
    if necessary (see, they had road rage in the 17th century England).

    Best wishes
    maxon

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:28:38 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I've heard all sorts of reasons for driving on the right some involving
    >Napoleon and his sword arm. mmm I'm sure that can't be right. Or perhaps
    >it's why the British drive on the left - your sword arm is always on to the
    >middle of the road and you are able to defend yourself from other road users
    >if necessary (see, they had road rage in the 17th century England).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_the_road

    Looks like there are all kinds of crazy reasons why people drive here
    or there... lol
    --

    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:28:38 GMT, "Maxon"
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I've heard all sorts of reasons for driving on the right some involving
    > >Napoleon and his sword arm. mmm I'm sure that can't be right. Or
    perhaps
    > >it's why the British drive on the left - your sword arm is always on to
    the
    > >middle of the road and you are able to defend yourself from other road
    users
    > >if necessary (see, they had road rage in the 17th century England).
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_the_road
    >
    > Looks like there are all kinds of crazy reasons why people drive here
    > or there... lol
    > --

    Ah yes, see, Bony was a south paw and that's why he made everyone in Europe
    drive on the right so his sword arm could be always to the centre of the
    road. Ha. I knew it! It's all to do with an egotistical little Frenchman.

    Best wishes
    maxon

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:35:59 GMT, "Maxon"
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Well, I don't think they were arrested but it is now a requirement to sell
    >>stuff in metric measures which is a bit of a bugger for anyone over the age
    >>of 40 or so because we all think in pounds and ounces. I think the sellers
    >>who protested and continued to sell in pounds were taken through the courts
    >>though, to force the issue.
    >

    > To be honest though, they're just measurements. A lot of people act
    > like it's your national pride on the line. Having different languages
    > is one thing, having different measurements is just silly. I think we
    > should use the measurements that make the most scientific and
    > practical sense. Celsius is a decent scale because water melts at 0
    > and boils at 100. I never did understand why the US for instance
    > insisted on farenheit, which makes very little sense. As for length
    > and distance the metric scale also makes more sense because it
    > operates in units of 10, 100 and 1000, not 12 etc. :-)

    You are welcome to try convince the USA of that.

    Time is base 12 and base 60.

    The Farenheit scale was just some guy wandering around with a
    thermometer and measured the hottest place he could find and then the
    coldest place he could find. I don't think he went very far. And then he
    sold a lot of thermometers before Celsius was invented. Why yes, he was
    American, why do you ask? lol

    Ask an Australian, an Englishmen and an American how much a pint is, in
    ounces. I'd rather drink Australian pints. But even an American pint is
    bigger than 0.5 liter- though not by much.

    -georg

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:56:45 GMT, Georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote:

    >Time is base 12 and base 60.

    Yeah, that's true. Why not change this as well? Sounds weird now, but
    in a hundred years nobody would care and kids would stop asking why...
    at some point they just accept it, don't they? LOL

    >The Farenheit scale was just some guy wandering around with a
    >thermometer and measured the hottest place he could find and then the
    >coldest place he could find. I don't think he went very far. And then he

    LOL!

    >sold a lot of thermometers before Celsius was invented. Why yes, he was
    >American, why do you ask? lol

    ROFL! Actually, I thought he was german? Or maybe he was a german
    immigrant?

    >Ask an Australian, an Englishmen and an American how much a pint is, in
    >ounces. I'd rather drink Australian pints. But even an American pint is
    >bigger than 0.5 liter- though not by much.

    A pint is just the measure some guy decided on cause that's how big
    his beermugs were, wasn't it? lol
    --

    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:56:45 GMT, Georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Time is base 12 and base 60.
    >
    > Yeah, that's true. Why not change this as well? Sounds weird now, but
    > in a hundred years nobody would care and kids would stop asking why...
    > at some point they just accept it, don't they? LOL
    >
    >>The Farenheit scale was just some guy wandering around with a
    >>thermometer and measured the hottest place he could find and then the
    >>coldest place he could find. I don't think he went very far. And then he
    >
    > LOL!
    >
    >>sold a lot of thermometers before Celsius was invented. Why yes, he was
    >>American, why do you ask? lol
    >
    > ROFL! Actually, I thought he was german? Or maybe he was a german
    > immigrant?
    >
    >>Ask an Australian, an Englishmen and an American how much a pint is, in
    >>ounces. I'd rather drink Australian pints. But even an American pint is
    >>bigger than 0.5 liter- though not by much.
    >
    > A pint is just the measure some guy decided on cause that's how big
    > his beermugs were, wasn't it? lol
    > --
    >

    > Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    > your neighbourhood could be next!

    I think the whole argument is silly.
    The metric system is no more scientific than any other system of measure.
    Base ten is only used because most people have 10 fingers.
    Computers use base 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, and 128 and so on.

    Celsius is an arbitrary scale based on the melting/freezing point of
    distilled water at standard air pressure and the boiling point of distilled
    water at standard air pressure.

    Celsius is not one of the 7 Base units of the International System of Units.
    kelvin is the unit of measure used in the International System of Units.

    Did you know that the kilogram is completely arbitrary.
    The only way you can get a true kilogram unit of measure is to go to Paris
    and compare it to the standard kilogram (a platinum-iridium cylinder)

    The only thing that is needed for a good system of measure is acceptance and
    reliability.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:56:45 GMT, Georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Ask an Australian, an Englishmen and an American how much a pint is, in
    >>ounces. I'd rather drink Australian pints. But even an American pint is
    >>bigger than 0.5 liter- though not by much.
    >

    > A pint is just the measure some guy decided on cause that's how big
    > his beermugs were, wasn't it? lol

    The odd thing is an ounce is the same in all 3 countries.
    American pint is 16 ounces.
    English is 20.
    Australian is either 22 or 24, I forget. I think 24 because the math is
    easier.

    -georg

    Davybear wrote:
    > "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
    > Did you know that the kilogram is completely arbitrary.
    > The only way you can get a true kilogram unit of measure is to go to Paris
    > and compare it to the standard kilogram (a platinum-iridium cylinder)

    I believe one gram = the amount of weight at 1 atmosphere of pressure
    and at a certain temperature of one cubic centimeter of distilled water.

    -georg

    "Georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Davybear wrote:
    >> "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
    >> Did you know that the kilogram is completely arbitrary.
    >> The only way you can get a true kilogram unit of measure is to go to
    >> Paris and compare it to the standard kilogram (a platinum-iridium
    >> cylinder)
    >
    > I believe one gram = the amount of weight at 1 atmosphere of pressure and
    > at a certain temperature of one cubic centimeter of distilled water.
    >
    > -georg

    Except pressure requires mass.
    It has been thrown out as an acceptable definition of measure.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram

    Precisely - it's a social construct. Just like more or less everything
    else!

    Things in base 12 work well for everyday use because you can divide 12 by
    lots of numbers and get whole numbers out.

    Best wishes
    maxon

    Davybear wrote:

    > The metric system is no more scientific than any other system of
    > measure. Base ten is only used because most people have 10 fingers.

    Which means we can easily calculate with base ten.

    > Computers use base 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, and 128 and so on.

    Which is why they are cold, and mean :-)

    > Celsius is an arbitrary scale based on the melting/freezing point of
    > distilled water at standard air pressure and the boiling point of
    > distilled water at standard air pressure.
    >
    > Celsius is not one of the 7 Base units of the International System
    > of
    > Units. kelvin is the unit of measure used in the International
    > System
    > of Units.

    But Kelvin degrees are the same as Celsius degrees, you just distract
    273. Fahrenheit has a different scale.

    > Did you know that the kilogram is completely arbitrary.
    > The only way you can get a true kilogram unit of measure is to go to
    > Paris and compare it to the standard kilogram (a platinum-iridium
    > cylinder)

    True, but that goes for any measurement.

    T.

    "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > Davybear wrote:
    >
    >> The metric system is no more scientific than any other system of
    >> measure. Base ten is only used because most people have 10 fingers.
    >
    > Which means we can easily calculate with base ten.
    >
    >> Computers use base 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, and 128 and so on.
    >
    > Which is why they are cold, and mean :-)
    >
    >> Celsius is an arbitrary scale based on the melting/freezing point of
    >> distilled water at standard air pressure and the boiling point of
    >> distilled water at standard air pressure.
    >>
    >> Celsius is not one of the 7 Base units of the International System of
    >> Units. kelvin is the unit of measure used in the International System
    >> of Units.
    >
    > But Kelvin degrees are the same as Celsius degrees, you just distract 273.
    > Fahrenheit has a different scale.
    >
    >> Did you know that the kilogram is completely arbitrary.
    >> The only way you can get a true kilogram unit of measure is to go to
    >> Paris and compare it to the standard kilogram (a platinum-iridium
    >> cylinder)
    >
    > True, but that goes for any measurement.
    >
    > T.

    Not true.
    Take a look at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_base_unit

    > "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    >> Davybear wrote:

    --------Did you know that the kilogram is completely arbitrary.
    >>> The only way you can get a true kilogram unit of measure is to go to
    >>> Paris and compare it to the standard kilogram (a platinum-iridium
    >>> cylinder)
    >>
    >> True, but that goes for any measurement.
    >>
    >> T.
    >>

    > Not true.
    > Take a look at:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_base_unit

    As my original message has been hijacked can I just say that in the uk I
    prefer to buy the 4 pints of milk cartons (2.2272 litres) rather than the 2
    litres cartons offered in some shops. Some of the latter charge the same
    for two litres as others charge for the 4 pints.

    Not too much heavier to carry but lasts longer!
    ;-)

    Skeats

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:30:34 GMT, Georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote:

    >The odd thing is an ounce is the same in all 3 countries.
    >American pint is 16 ounces.
    >English is 20.
    >Australian is either 22 or 24, I forget. I think 24 because the math is
    >easier.

    Aussies are big beer drinkers. And english more so than americans.
    Makes perfect sense to me LOL :-D
    --

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 01:38:01 -0500, "Davybear" <Davybear@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >The metric system is no more scientific than any other system of measure.
    >Base ten is only used because most people have 10 fingers.

    Exactly, and it's the easiest one to grasp and multiply because it
    deals in identical standards. 10(1) 10(2) etc. you can't say the same
    for bits.

    >Celsius is an arbitrary scale based on the melting/freezing point of
    >distilled water at standard air pressure and the boiling point of distilled
    >water at standard air pressure.

    It's not arbitrary if you live on planet earth.
    --

    Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    your neighbourhood could be next!

    It's a long time since I worked in a pub, but the 24 sounds better to me
    (rings more bells).

    On the other hand I haven't had a beer in almost two years. I must be
    letting the side down.

    ;')

    MM

    Davybear wrote:

    > "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    >> Davybear wrote:
    >>> Did you know that the kilogram is completely arbitrary.
    >>> The only way you can get a true kilogram unit of measure is to go
    >>> Paris and compare it to the standard kilogram (a platinum-iridium
    >>> cylinder)
    >> True, but that goes for any measurement.
    > Not true.
    > Take a look at:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_base_unit

    I mean, eventually every measurement is arbitrary. Wikipedia says that
    a second is "The unit of time is the duration of exactly 9 192 631 770
    periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between two
    hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom at a
    temperature of 0 K (13th CGPM (1967-1968) Resolution 1, CR 103)" :-)

    T.

    Hi

    I worked in a pub for 10 years, since 1989 to 99 LOL

    I enjoyed it, but i dont drink alcohol for health reasons..

    Julia

    "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> schreef in bericht

    > "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:11:49 GMT, "Maxon"
    >> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >> And how exactly is it now?
    >>
    >> Britain drives on the left, uses miles and feet and inches and pounds
    >> and uses celsius!
    >
    > Yes that's right but we are slowly converting to metric. Pounds are out -
    > now it's kilograms and grams which is less intuitive. Also inches and
    > feet
    > are beginning to go too and shorter measurements are now in centimetres
    > and
    > metres - again less intuitive. I'm afraid we'll always drive on the
    > left -
    > you see it's better that way.

    Yep we had pounds (pond) and ounces (ons) and inches (which is the lenght of
    a thumb = duim) or en el (elbow the lenght from your wrist to your elbow)
    The longest reaminaing were the pond and ons. which were no longer allowed
    it had to be 500 grams or 100 grams.
    The thing is that in the older old days every area had their own
    measurement.
    So the pond in one place could be different from the pond in another, same
    for an ons, just like the lenght of a thumb (duim) etc.

    > I've heard all sorts of reasons for driving on the right some involving
    > Napoleon and his sword arm. mmm I'm sure that can't be right. Or perhaps
    > it's why the British drive on the left - your sword arm is always on to
    > the
    > middle of the road and you are able to defend yourself from other road
    > users
    > if necessary (see, they had road rage in the 17th century England).

    It is just a choice.

    > Best wishes
    > maxon

Sims Games Video Games