WUSB600N odd malfunction & Linksys is AWOL

spidertex

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Hi I bought dec 2009 2 WUSB600N USB NICs....
Installed one on Ubuntu, didn't work. One on XP Pro, works great...
BUT, after a cold reboot (and I mean very cold reboot, PC needs to be off for at least 4 hours) the NIC isn't recognised as such by Windows. It pops up as an "unknown USB device" in the device manager, without an error or a rant.

Odd thing, when the PC is shutdown, and you unplug replug the NIC, it IS correctly recognised on boot?!?!?!?

I did the things you are supposed to do (I guess) see lengthy thread on Linksys forum http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Adapters&thread.id=25085
I tried their support agent, "install the latest drivers" [duh] he didn't even read my message. I tried to mail Linksys twice, nothing... But they DID had time to sensor away a rant I left on the forum....

Can someone help me to explain the WUSB issue? Or help me getting attention from Linksys? Or I can go RMA, but since the NICs were bought via a webshop, the transport costs will be lost...

Any idea appreciated...

G

You have presumably checked the USB ports with other USB devices and they don't exhibit similar symptoms ?

On the Ubuntu issue have you searched for a generic driver for the wireless adapter's chipset -- the Linux community have documented the chipsets used in many popular wireless devices.

spidertex

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
You have presumably checked the USB ports with other USB devices and they don't exhibit similar symptoms ?

On the Ubuntu issue have you searched for a generic driver for the wireless adapter's chipset -- the Linux community have documented the chipsets used in many popular wireless devices.

USB ports, tried all of them, even other PC, other USB devices work normally!

Ubuntu, did a make/install etc... but that is not the urgent problem (it was never advertised as being Ubuntu compatible, hence XP it was!!)