Sign in with
Your question

I just finished biulding my first computer, My DVD drives don\'t seem to power u

Last response: in Motherboards
March 17, 2010 1:23:14 AM

My DVD drives don't seem to power up so I can't boot up. The cables all seem fine. What should I do?
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2010 1:49:09 AM

Are they SATA or IDE?

You simply need to connect a power cable from the PSU to the drive, and connect the SATA/IDE data cable from the drive to the motherboard. If it's an IDE drive, make sure the jumper is in the correct position.
March 17, 2010 2:48:40 AM

When you connect a power cable to the DVD drive and turns on the computer the DVD drive led will lights up, make sure this is what happen. Try other power cable and connect it the DVD drive if you don't get it to light up replace the DVD. You can also connect the DVD drive from other PC if its led lights up then their something wrong with your PSU.
Related resources
March 17, 2010 3:28:05 PM

aford10 said:
Are they SATA or IDE?

You simply need to connect a power cable from the PSU to the drive, and connect the SATA/IDE data cable from the drive to the motherboard. If it's an IDE drive, make sure the jumper is in the correct position.

The hard drive is SATA
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2010 3:37:28 PM

Then as long as both cables are plugged in correctly, the drive should show in the BIOS, and the tray should be functional. If it isn't, the drive is likely dead.
March 17, 2010 3:46:28 PM

aford10 said:
Are they SATA or IDE?

Reading your response again, are you saying there are SATA DVD drives out there. If so, do I need one to make it compatible with the SATA HD.

I thought SATA only refered to HD's.

Greg
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2010 3:55:07 PM

Yep. SATA is the most common interface now. IDE is the way of the past. You can still use an IDE DVD drive with a SATA HD, however, you may need to check the BIOS settings.

You'll also need to check the jumper setting on the IDE drive. If you've got it in the master IDE postition on the cable, put the jumper on master or CS.
March 17, 2010 3:58:32 PM

aford10 said:
Yep. SATA is the most common interface now. IDE is the way of the past. You can still use an IDE DVD drive with a SATA HD, however, you may need to check the BIOS settings.

You'll also need to check the jumper setting on the IDE drive. If you've got it in the master IDE postition on the cable, put the jumper on master or CS.

Thank You for the info. I appreciate it very much. I will probably go ahead and buy the SATA DVD drive.

a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2010 4:23:48 PM

You're welcome
!