3dmark i7 920 / radeon 5870 scores question

obrada

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hi I recently bought a new rig. I decided to do a 3dmark vantage benchmark, here are my scores:

gpu 16478
cpu 22431

Total = P17649

Specs:

i7 920 @ 3.6
Asus p6t deluxe v2
radeon 5870 Core Clock: 875MHz / Memory Clock: 1300MHz
corsair 850 tx
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB DDR3 1600

I have been browsing over the internet and the scores are so different from many users, some are lower scores of systems compared to mine, others higher. My only question is if this scores are low or normal? I dont pretend to have an awesome score I just want a normal average one to know if my computer its making the numbers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

to me i think there about average for your system. although i truly don't use benchmarks like 3d mark all that much.

to me, they don't really give you a true idea how a computer run's. What i tend to look for when im trying to compare systems is programs that i would use often like games or professional programs, ect.

Like if i wanted a new cpu (example, a core i7 or a phenom II) but i dont know what would be best for me, The 3d mark could be saying the core i7 is the best for everyone. Although if i was just wanting to do just gaming, the phenom II better for me than the i7.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=47&p2=88

The reason why is, gaming performance is about the same between the 2 on for most of the games made today but the phenom ii is cheaper than the core i7. Making the Phenom II the choice for the price.

Now if i was needing a cpu for video editing, then i would go for an i7.

In my person option, All 3d mark useful for is mainly bragging rights.

obrada

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hi again, I have very limited programs running in the background. I can do a benchmark again but I believe It wont make much difference. Now do you have a nvidia card? Ive seen that with the NVIDIA PhysX Drivers people are getting very high scores on the gpu wich obviously affects the total scores.

Can you tell me the score of your gpu and cpu individually? and thanks a lot for your response.

checkout

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
i have a 5870 and my cpu runs at 3.6ghz as well. only difference builds we have are the mobo and ram.

when i come home ill check the picture to see which scores i had.

checkout

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
i cant seem to edit my last mesage, so ill write it here.

i made a mistake i thought you mentioned 3dmark06, even though you clearly stated vantage.. sorry :p
i have 14414 score.

here is a link to my build,
http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/usersys/cnFxaZ1pk2md/view/

obrada

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

Ok then that answers my question, thanks for your time. Merry xmas from Puerto Rico !!! :)