P5G43T-M PRO paired with OCZ 31G1333LV4G help, beginner question

Twleung

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
im not to keen on computer parts but i do have some experience building.. i didnt really research before i bought the mobo, i went with the OCZ memory because it was on sale at ncix for 70 dollars with mir =)
so i bought a mobo with it and this seemed to have everything i want
hdmi, hd audio with digital out, dvi out it has it all

what i have to put in it may dumb you because i dumb... like i said i bought the ram cause it was cheap and i wanted a new mobo with all the outputs and mainly for the pci-e 16x

i am upgrading from the asrock-4coredual-sata2 it was a good mobo but i felt like my system was bottled-necked with the powercolor pci 4890 and older ddr 667 ram

my cpu is e2180 i got for free.. i plan on letting it go for cheap and possibly buy a 1333 fsb cpu on my next pay..

currently my problem is the system wont let me install a new OS, tried xp/win 7 and it came to the blue screen of death, stating that new hardware was installed try restarting, or turn off something in bios.

I admit that this new boards bio's is somewhat hard for me to understand, I think my question lies within the bios OR that my hardware is conflicting someway somehow. It runs the previous windows xp i installed with the asrock but its unstable and reboots randomly.

to sum it up
1. My hardware doesnt like each other, should i return the mobo and ram, or keep the ram and find a suitable mobo (couldnt find anything with all the outputs and ddr3 is cheaper than ddr2)
2. something i need to figure out in bios? please direct me please :( i have no idea what i am doing in there

To get rid of the bluescreens, try bumping up the ram voltage by .1 volts in the bios. To get into the bios, use the "del" key when the board is posting. The ram settings may be in the section "advanced chipset". Simply enter each section until you find the ram settings. You can change from "auto" to manual and find the default ram voltage. If you are already using ddr2 try running the ram at 1.9-2.0 volts which is safe. Then save and exit using "f10" key. If your board won't post after changing a bios setting, you can reset the bios to the default settings by removing the motherboard battery for a few seconds with the system turned off. It's usually round and many are the lithium "cr2032". Good luck.

scudst0rm

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
first step should be to run memtest86+ to see if the ram is actually the problem. and if it turns out to be unstable then follow o1die's instructions

Twleung

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

thanx for the high understandable reply, the packaging for my ram is 9-9-9-20
i would think bios with optimize my setting when i go default.. i guessed wrong

the ram is dd3 is 1.9-2.0 safe? right now it is set to auto. and i have no idea what this is..

currently i am running memtest, do i just run without playing around with the settings?

run everything in stock mode? seems like there is lots to do when u press "c" in memtest

i googles and i read that it should run for at least 8 hours.. so ill try that, i hope the ram is busted so i can just return it ;)

Twleung

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Still doesn't work when I changed the timing and voltage still pops the blue screen, I can't find anything online to fix this, doesn't seem like a lot of people have experience with this board.

Should I return the mobo and keep the ram or should I return both and get a mobo that is known to work with certain ram??