New power supply. Help in choosing one

prider

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I want to change my power supply because I do not trust it anymore.
My system: Asrock A780GXH/128M, AMD PHENOM II X4 B50(stock freq-3100MHz)+Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cooler,500GB SATA II HDD, ATI RADEON HD4670(a lill' OC),4 120mm vents and an IDE DVDRW. My actual psu is a RAIDMAX RX520. I want a new one, but there are a lot of power supplies that seem to satisfy my needs, and those are to keep the actual system, but also to resist if I OC my CPU up to ... 3.8GHz in a not-so-distant future(several months). Also I would like it to have long cables, preferable sleeved so I can make some WM,but that is optional. Mainly, I want it to be stable for a future OC and for a new video card that I will buy next winter(but that's not my fear, I won't take any monster video card, something budget for that time). I have maximum 45euros to spend on this psu, that is MAXIMUM, if it can be something cheaper, it's better. I was thinking about the Corsair 400cx, but it's a bit expensive for me. Other (cheaper) alternatives should be Silverstone Strider SST-ST40F(400W), Vantec ION2 VAN-460C(460W), or RECOM POWER ENGINE 550 PLUS. I don't know which one is better, if I would know that the SIRTEC 400W psu would satisfy all my needs, I would buy that for 30euros only, but I need some advices.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

prider

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I'm from Romania, we don't even 'work' in euros here, but it's a good refference. Prices from where I am are a bit more bigger(sounds bad, sorry, you get the idea) than those on newegg(the initial ones of course, not with all the offers and discounts). If anyone is interested this is the site I will buy it from http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/pagina3/filtre/pret-111-pana-la-210/ (I've set the parameters so they include my budged, not hard to see the psu's I could buy). The offers are almost all the same on other sites.

Regarding the site you gave me(great one BTW, the eggxpert one), I see that the silverstone I laid my eyes on is in the TIER 3 category, I think that's not a...bad thing. The corsairs are in tier 2, unfortunately it's a bit expensive for me because I have to spend some money on 2-3 vents and a dust filter :(. Meh, in the end if I will have the money I will buy the corsair, I just want to know which cheaper alternative is the best. So far, my eyes are on the silverstone 400

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Of the cheaper ones you listed, the Silverstone is probably the best, but I would shoot for the Corsair if you can afford it.
BTW- why exactly are you distrusting your current PSU now? did you have some issues with it?

prider

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
well, it has a sound(a BAD sound in my oppionion) I do not know how to describe it, it's like a squeek and fast tic-tac, like a lot of tiny shortcircuits are happening inside it. That sound isn't permanent, but it isn't ocasional either. It's frequent. And I don't really trust raidmax due to the fact that before this PSU(I bought it for 40dolars!!! GOD how stupid of me money spent so awful) I had other TWO raidmaxes, but the cheap ones, that said to deliver 500W(yeah right) and they did POOF in an older system(I bought the actual system 3 months ago, without the PSU, this is from the old pc). And I spent one month, this summer, at my grandmothers, and in Romania, in the countryside, there are majoooor problems with the electricity and in fact I am surprised that the PSU is still 'breathing' after the dozens of (I don't know how to say it in english) electricity drops...there were some that dropped good, and for several hours the electricity was bye-bye, but mainly, it dropped and the next second it came back, and that really isn't a good thing for a psu :p :D. Also, it has very rigid cables and I can barely make any WM.

But the main reason I want to change it is because of that untrusty sound it makes(sometimes when it's to quiet I am expecting to hear a BOOM sound or something that means SAY GOODBYE TO THIS POWER SUPPLY)

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Yeah- its probably a good call to swap out your PSU. Those types of sounds are a little scary. I had a PSU blow out (loud noise and lots of smoke) one time and it had been making noises before that. Good luck with the new one (whichever you end up with)

If you are gonna run 2 GFX cards and get into serious overclocking a solid and stable PSU is essential to that task.....the PSU has to be able to handle varying loads w/o having critical voltages jump around in response to those load changes.

For this kinda work, the following PSU's are recommended:

Antec SG-850
Antec CP-850
Seasonic M12D 850W
Corsair HX-850* (This one gets an asterisk as it' a bit noisier than the others but electrically every bit as good as the above)

Drop down to 1 GFX card but still serious about OC'ing

Antec SG-650
Seasonic X-650
Enermax Modu82+ 625W
Corsair HX-620 (HX-anything)

For moderate overclocks, w/ 1 GFX card ....

Antec TP/TPX Series
Corsair TX Series

"Marriage is a wonderful institution and all but when committed to an institution, they usually let you out after a while."

Misogynist, are we? :lol:

Overclocking does not contribute much to the overall system power load.
My #2 system:
GA-EP45-UD3L, Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz/Xig DK, 4 GB Crucial Ballistix, 640 MB 8800GTS, WD 820 GB HD's, Antec 550 TP3, Antec 900

Actual measurements indicated that the CPU power load went from 8 amps to 9.5 amps when overclocked - about a 20 watt increase. A good 550 watt PSU will be more than adequate for an overclock system with a single video card.

4745454b

Titan
in fact I am surprised that the PSU is still 'breathing' after the dozens of (I don't know how to say it in english) electricity drops...there were some that dropped good, and for several hours the electricity was bye-bye, but mainly, it dropped and the next second it came back

This is why when I'm setting up a computer for the first time I always go into the bios and change the bios to keep the computer off when the power fails. If I'm away at work and the power fails, I don't want my machine being turned off wrong more then it needs to be.

Of the PSU you listed I would trust the Corsair, and use only the SS if I had to. This means get the Corsair if possible, or the SS if you can't. I wouldn't touch the others.

prider

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
After some more reviews I am decided to go on the SS if I can't afford the corsair. I had some ideas about the other PSUs(sirtec, recom, maybe the mushkin ep400-modular) because they get good notes about users in my country cuz they're decent and there aren't reviews about them because they aren't selling in the US I think.

I do not want to make crossfire. Instead of buying another hd4670and crossfire I prefer buying a hd5750/hd5770 or w/e will come out on the market with a good price in about an year that has dx11 and shadder 5 :D. As for the OC, I don't really like doing it, I consider it to be a good thing for the performance, but a bad thing for the CPUs life so the OC I am going to make is a MAXIMUM of 3.7(from 3.1 -> 20% OC, exactly 3.72Ghz, the cpu is black edition so OC is easy).

edjal

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

In my opinion your best bet is the 400 cx Corsair $39 after rebate on newegg.com. They also have an OCZ 500Watt for $39 after rebate. I just recently installed the 400cX in my desktop. I love it, Its quiet, powerful and effecient. The cabling is long enough for a full tower case.
Edjal

That's not the concern.....the concern is voltage stability that the system sees when twin 5970's kick it up a notch. Let's say you are stable at 1.35 QPI and 1.15 CPU volts and then when the vid cards kick in, that drops ya voltages 0.1 volts, stability just went bye bye.

prider

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
maybe newegg will ship in Romania(but I haven't found anything to say that) but can you imagine the taxes? :)). Anyway, I will get the corsair because I found another place(from Romania) from where I can get all the things I want and they are cheaper, the total amount going down from ~170$(initial shop) to ~153$(and this shop has no transport tax->I think this is called shipping). So, it's a good deal and I trust the shop because it wouldn't be my first product bought from there. Thanks a lot for the advices, if you hadn't insisted into telling me to buy the corsair, I would have gone for the silverstone and stop looking for better prices.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Good luck with the Corsair man- you'll be happy with the stability that it will give you. Glad you were able to get a better price too! Hope it solves all your issues.