Sign in with
Your question

Setting Up SSD URGENT !!!

Last response: in Storage
August 2, 2011 8:13:29 AM

Hi There, I just bought a brand new SSD OCZ Vertex 3 120g i juts finished a new win7 x64 install and im wondering what to do with the Pagefile and the Hiberfile setting. i dont wanna use 20g outta 120g just for that

My system is:

PSU: CoolMaster proseries M 1000w
CPU: i7 920 2.6ghz
MBO: Asus Sabertooth X58
RAM: Corsair Dominator 12Gig
GPU: radeon HD 5750
HDs: 4x sata Different sizes
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120g

Thanks

More about : setting ssd urgent

a b G Storage
August 2, 2011 2:10:49 PM

You can put the pagefile on any or all of your other HDD. I would suggest putting it on the fastest, least used drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 2, 2011 2:25:34 PM

Disable Hibernate! The default file size is the same as your RAM (ie 12gb)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enab...

You can PROBABLY disable the page file as well due to 12gb of ram. I say probably because it is possible to crash if this 12gb is used up. You can, however, set the size of it to something reasonable and run it off the ssd or move it to your hdd hoping that it will never be used.

m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2011 5:01:32 PM

Some programs require a page file even though they don't need that much RAM, so even with 16GB or more RAM you could have crashes due to turning off the page file.

I did most of the stuff in this SSD Optimization Guide when I installed mine a few days ago, and it's been working great.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 2, 2011 6:36:46 PM

Right, I said probably disable page file. In my world that means I would disable the page file and go about running all my programs, even simultaneously, and see if I crash. There may be the odd accounting program or something that reserves a big block of ram. This is the type of thing that can burn you. Not used ram so much as 'reserved' ram.

If nothing crashes.. we're golden. If something crashes we go from there. On 'my' computer I just learn what works best. It doesn't have to work seamlessly for every other dummy because there's only one dummy at the controls.

Remember that ssds are really good at accessing information. RAM is better at it but HDDs are much worse. So, in order of best to worst for your pagefile you would; a) have enough ram that you don't need a page file, b) use the ssd and let it eat that space (hey, that's why I have an ssd), or c) put the pagefile on your spinning disk and just hope it doesn't get used and/or eat the slow access times if it does.
m
l
August 3, 2011 2:05:01 AM

I found some games demand a pagefile, whether it makes sense to have one or not. Go without the pagefile unless you encounter a game that requires it. I've read in numerous places to put pagefile on a regular drive and leave it on the SSD. I think since the pagefile is mostly read (and maybe sequentually) you can just leave a minimal pagefile on the SSD of 1GB. There's conflicting advice everywhere so just take what bits are needed for your situation and don't accept them all as commandments from God.

Peace. Love. Happiness. Texting.

CK
m
l
!