Problems with my external hard drive after dropping it

jax_t

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Hello,
i dropped my hard drive recently (it's a 1tb wd in a nexstar cx case). The first time i used it after i dropped it it worked for a minute or so before the enclosure light turned off.

now when i turn it on the hd starts spinning and after a few seconds the enclosure light turns off. after about a minute the hd stops spinning and the light comes back on. my computer then detects the enclosure as an unknown drive in disk management and when i try to initialize it it gives me a CRC error.

i've tried searching for a while to find out whats wrong with it but can't find anyone in the same situation.

is it possible to get it working again/retrieve any data considering i was able to use it for a short time after the drop?

also i have a laptop and no desktop available to hook the hd into.

thanks
jack

americanbrian

Distinguished
I hate to break it to you but it is unlikely that you will be able to retrieve that data. It sounds like maybe you bent the read head, or maybe the disc/rotor has become misaligned.

If it is REALLY important data you can swap the spindles out into another HDD. this is not something I know how to do personally. I know it CAN be done, but mostly it is done by professional data recovery companies. Expensive.

Sorry dude.

jax_t

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
ah that sucks. i also looked the hd up on wd website and found that it's still under warranty but i presume they won't cover it for this type of damage?

bob100684

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Probably not. Warranty covers manufacturing faults, not user damage.