Sign in with
Your question

PCI-E 2.0 x16 GTX 260 on PCI-E 1.0 MBoard?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2009 9:21:25 AM

Hi everybody, I'm getting a feeling that I screwed myself up pretty bad. Let me clarify.

About 3 weeks ago I got I purchased new components for a new PC built. I'm reusing CD burner and tower only. Running Win7 64bit and backup OS - XP SP2, 4gb 1066 ram, Intel e6300, WD 640GB SataII 32mb cache, 630W PS.

I got GTX 260 OC 896MB by MSI (link if you care to see it). The card has PCI-E 2.0 x16. My new video card arrived 5-6 days ago, but just today I got around gaming with it for the first time.

I noticed that games like COD4 which is over 2 years old game runs kind of slow and with serious lag sometimes. I can't say that I like the performance that the card delivers right now. Batman Arkham Asylum also has some lag at different moments. I do NOT think that the card is bad though.

I thought, it might be driver issue, but nobody really have complained from the new nvidia driver (191.07).

I took a closer look a my MBoard (link here) and it turns out it is PCI-E 1.0 x16 only!!!!!, NOT PCI-E 2.0 x16.

Is it possible such serious a lag in gaming to be due to my board PCI-E 1.0 bandwidth?

Is my MBoard limiting my video card's full potential?

The good news for right now are that I can still return the Mobo and exchange it for PCI-E 2.0 x16 compatible.

Should I do that? Should I change the Mobo while I can?

I will appreciate your comments and suggestions.
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 9:48:18 AM

Gneus said:
Hi everybody, I'm getting a feeling that I screwed myself up pretty bad. Let me clarify.

About 3 weeks ago I got I purchased new components for a new PC built. I'm reusing CD burner and tower only. Running Win7 64bit and backup OS - XP SP2, 4gb 1066 ram, Intel e6300, WD 640GB SataII 32mb cache, 630W PS.

I got GTX 260 OC 896MB by MSI (link if you care to see it). The card has PCI-E 2.0 x16. My new video card arrived 5-6 days ago, but just today I got around gaming with it for the first time.

I noticed that games like COD4 which is over 2 years old game runs kind of slow and with serious lag sometimes. I can't say that I like the performance that the card delivers right now. Batman Arkham Asylum also has some lag at different moments. I do NOT think that the card is bad though.

I thought, it might be driver issue, but nobody really have complained from the new nvidia driver (191.07).

I took a closer look a my MBoard (link here) and it turns out it is PCI-E 1.0 x16 only!!!!!, NOT PCI-E 2.0 x16.

Is it possible such serious a lag in gaming to be due to my board PCI-E 1.0 bandwidth?

Is my MBoard limiting my video card's full potential?

The good news for right now are that I can still return the Mobo and exchange it for PCI-E 2.0 x16 compatible.

Should I do that? Should I change the Mobo while I can?

I will appreciate your comments and suggestions.

OK PCI Express 1.0 and 2.0 are totally compatable.....I am pretty sure even a 260 will not use the full bandwidth of a 1.0 slot.
As far as motherboards go that one will work but if you can afford it go with a P45 chipset for the best overclocking. I like the Gigabyte EP45-UD3x series.
Most likely that E-6300 at stock speed is whats holding you back.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 9:59:22 AM

try that new mobo with pc 2.0 if you still can and oc your proc to 3.0...also before that delete your new drivers and install some previous drivers... also check does your gtx 260 get all power from the PSU...what brand is your psu too
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 10:17:19 AM

From TheGreatGrapeApe
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-271905_15_0.ht...

"Worst FKin Idea EVER !!

Either wait for the HD5850 series to come down a bit or else get and HD4890, but adding a second GF9800GTX is plain stupid, especially heading forward.

But to the OP, did you bother checking the Champions forum first?

You're not the first person I've heard this from and low and behold there's a mega thread at the online site about the lag;

http://forums.champions-online.com [...] hp?t=35438

and some advice about rolling back the nV drivers to imrpove performance where alot of lag was introduced with the latest driver update;

http://forums.champions-online.com [...] count=1184
http://forums.champions-online.com [...] count=1186

So don't buy a new card, and definitely don't F'in buy another GF9, see if rolling back the drivers helps and then maybe check the thread for updates. "

its the driver lag so better roll back
m
l
October 13, 2009 2:32:07 PM

I just read somewhere that pcie 1.0 x16 allows 250mb/s bandwidth vs 500mb per sec for pcie 2.0 x16. Isn't that thr issue here?

Somebody asked about my PSU. It is Rosewill Green 630W.

I dont think i should be getting lag with gtx260 OC on COD4 default settings and 1280 screen size. By default setting ,pretty much everything is maxed out.

I got sandra installed. Which test should i run regarding the issue? Bunch of test for VGA there
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 7:42:54 PM

Gneus said:
I just read somewhere that pcie 1.0 x16 allows 250mb/s bandwidth vs 500mb per sec for pcie 2.0 x16. Isn't that thr issue here?

Somebody asked about my PSU. It is Rosewill Green 630W.

I dont think i should be getting lag with gtx260 OC on COD4 default settings and 1280 screen size. By default setting ,pretty much everything is maxed out.

I got sandra installed. Which test should i run regarding the issue? Bunch of test for VGA there

The 250 and 500 mb/s are right .......however the cards themselves are not using all that. Its like the SATA standards for hard drives. Extra bandwidth available but not necessarily used.

Rosewill PSUs are not known as high quality. You need to make sure it has enough amps on the 12v rail to run the 260.

(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp Amps.)
Two available 6-pin Molex hard drive power dongles

That is for an EVGA (nonoverclocked) card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Likely thats pushing it for that Rosewill.
I would upgrade to something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

John__ you a little confused as to where to answer what? And I have to say ive never heard of the Champions forum myself.

m
l
October 13, 2009 7:48:11 PM

my system utility program is showing me 12.35V. I don't think PSU is problematic. Windows Task Manager shows above 90% CPU usage during gaming with COD4. Maybe CPU is bottle-necking it. Not quite sure though.
m
l
October 13, 2009 7:54:53 PM

Actually 77-80% usage during gaming. No matter all max or default setting, still choppy especially at action scenes
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 8:10:15 PM

What mobo do you have and what is the max CPU it will take?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 8:20:37 PM

Do you get the same choppiness in both win7 and XP?

Download precision from EVGA.com and monitor your FPS to see how its doing performance wise.
m
l
October 13, 2009 8:30:54 PM

Currently i play in xp sp2 because the game crashes in win7 during initial videos.
It is impossible to play even intro. I play batman arkham asylum in win7 and at some points it is choppy there too. COD4 in xp is worse (maybe because of the open sufraces),than batman in win7
m
l
October 13, 2009 8:38:34 PM

Rockyjohn, i just realized what you were asking me.
I guess i can put pretty high dollar CPU in it. Dont want to spend the money though. When i was getting it that CPU i was thinking is potent enough.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 8:40:19 PM

Here are the charts comparing select Core 2 processors. It would seem that the e6300, while slower than the others listed - should not be a major problem. What game settings are you using - AA and AF?

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-q...

Try overclocking and see if your gaming fps improves. That would be the best indicator if it is a cpu related problem. Are you using the stock HSF or did you upgrade it?
m
l
October 13, 2009 8:48:13 PM

Right now, AA is 4x, AF (is a slider) so about 25%., res. 1680x 1050

Optimal defaults does not improve much the choppiness

What does HSF abbreviation stands for.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 8:56:55 PM

HSF = heat sink fan - the fan assembly on top of CPU to dissipate heat. The one that comes boxed with the CPU should be good for a mild OC but a more significant one will create more heat in the CPU requiring a better HSF to dissipate it.
m
l
October 13, 2009 8:57:42 PM

I got the latest 191.07 from nvidia, then got 185.85 from msi yesterday. Installed 191.07 on xp - choppyness, then installed 185.85 on xp - no change.
m
l
October 13, 2009 8:59:57 PM

I have stock hsf but my whole case is well ventilated.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 9:09:59 PM

Very strange.

Are all power saver modes on pc and monitor turned off?
Have you tried rolling back to an older driver?
Reseating the video card? Checking both power connectors to the video card?
Testing with another graphics card (even a slower one if that is all that is available)?
Did you run memtest (for at least 8 hours) and prime95 to test system?
What about performance in other games?
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 9:37:24 PM

rockyjohn said:
Very strange.

Are all power saver modes on pc and monitor turned off?
Have you tried rolling back to an older driver?
Reseating the video card? Checking both power connectors to the video card?
Testing with another graphics card (even a slower one if that is all that is available)?
Did you run memtest (for at least 8 hours) and prime95 to test system?
What about performance in other games?

+1

Also check the graphics cards and cpu temps.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 9:43:22 PM

Pentium Dual-Core E6300 isnt exactly a high end cpu, and it is a dual core so dont expect epic performance

My mates E6850 + GTX260 rig in the new batman lags between areas etc from time to time but plays it aok

Do a 3DMark run and give us the numbers and see if someone can compare the scores
m
l
October 15, 2009 2:10:38 AM

Hey everyone. I got some testing done today and would like to share results with you.

First off, I had prime95 running 1 test for 2,5 hours and couple 30min tests with no problem. CPU temps went to 62C for few secs but they averaged at around 58-59C i think.

I noticed that my CPU downclocks to 1600Mhz(267MHz x 6.0) when idling. Wondering if that is not something to be looked at.
Same happens with the video card too.

Second, I got 3DMark test done. The result is quite astonishing for me. test 1- 6080 point, test 2 - 6011 points(while listening to music).

See >>screenshot here<<

There is apparently something seriously messed up here. People with similar CPU & Video cards are getting atleeeeeast over 12000.

I don't where to look at. :sweat: 

my specs are:
ASUS KPL-CM G31 mobo
MSI GTX 260 896mb O.C.
Intel Dual-core e6300 @2.8Ghz (NOT core 2 duo)
Western Digital 640Gb SataII drive
Hitachi 80Gb SataI drive
Rosewill Green series 630W PSU

all stock fans

I'm going to try my old XFX geforce 6600GT. if it works with this board I bet y'all I'll get more that 6080points......terrible situation and I'm running out of time soon.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2009 3:14:30 AM

You might also open Windows Task Manager (Control - Alt - Delete) and select the performance tab. It should show CPU usagae history for two separate cores. Leave this open and see if both are running near 100% while playing game - especially when system lags - and separately for comparison running a short prime95 test.

The CPU downclocking while idling is part of the energy saver feature and is normal. Hopefully it is not doing that while playing a game.

When you installed your video card, did you turn off the onboard video and uninstall the drivers according to your the instructions in your mobo manual before installing the new card and drivers? You indicated that you were using the new nVidia drivers and had not seen or read about any problems with them. You could try rolling back to an older driver - maybe the one that came on the disc with the video card.

I am sorry you are having such a difficult problem and no one has been able to help diagnose it. And unfortunately westill have not isolated the problem - could be weak or bad CPU or bad graphics card, or something else. Its a long shot, but you might try running the full system test at PC Pitstop to see if it reveals anything. Beyond that have you may need to run some of the Sandra tests to check out specific components.
m
l
October 15, 2009 3:50:43 AM

Thanks for the quick response rockyjohn.

During game play (COD4) cpu is at 70-80% i thing. I don't thing it goes above that.

Yes I did turn off onboard VGA in BIOS. Every time I am to install new video driver I uninstall the previous one and restart if requested.

I did use 185.85 instead of 191.07 but nothing changed. Now I'm back with 191.07 downloaded from nvidia.com

I have though, an UPDATE. I just ran 3Dmark test with my XFX nvidia 6600GT. The score seems terrible again: 513points. (well I was wrong about beating gtx260's score)

See >> screenshot here <<

According to the scores, seems that gtx260 performs 200-270% less that what it is capable of (6080 vs ~15000points).
Again, according to the scores XFX 6600GT performs atleast 330% less that what others have as score (513 vs ~ 1700points).

I thing I should scratch the scenario of bad video card, bad power supplied, bad connectors.

Interestingly, during tests with both cards, CPU performs almost identical (with gtx260: 2530points and with 6600GT: 2384points).

Is it possible my older hard drive (sataI) which is now primary with XP to be problematic? I'm just shooting in random directions here.

Ideas? Suggestions?

my specs are:
ASUS KPL-CM G31 mobo
MSI GTX 260 896mb O.C.
Intel Dual-core e6300 @2.8Ghz (NOT core 2 duo)
Western Digital 640Gb SataII drive
Hitachi 80Gb SataI drive
Rosewill Green series 630W PSU
all stock fans
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2009 4:43:30 AM

I don't think it is likely the HD. But what HD do you have? If you go into Device Manager and click on the HD listing - it will likely give you a "number" starting with "ST". Google that number and you will get some sights listing the drive showing the more common 7200.xx number. What is it? You can check that number on the THG HD charts - might have to go back to an older one to find it -or not. On my Dell I still have a 5 year old Seagate 160 GB drive - 7200.7. While the newer drives report a lot faster statistics in many areas - this old drive still beats most of them on the "Workstation Benchmark" test - which seems to me to be the best indicator of actual performance.

Please run the tests at PC Pit Stop - they check a lot of things.

After that, and barring any insight from someone else - you need to run those Sandra tests to isolate the problem, if possible. But I am not that familiar with the tests. Their website might have some directions though.
m
l
October 15, 2009 4:59:38 AM

I got actually Sata-I Hitachi - HDS728080PLA380 (80 GB), NOT Seagate.
The other drive is brand new Western Digital sata-II.

I was thinking of BIOS update. But before that I'll check pc pitstop. Is their service free online? I haven't seen them around here. Do they have actual stores to go to?

BTW I got Sandra, Everest, prime95, 3D mark. Any specific test that is a must?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2009 6:11:00 AM

Gneus said:
Currently i play in xp sp2 because the game crashes in win7 during initial videos.
It is impossible to play even intro. I play batman arkham asylum in win7 and at some points it is choppy there too. COD4 in xp is worse (maybe because of the open sufraces),than batman in win7

Were you saying before that some games play better in XP and some in Win7?
Would you briefly recap how each game plays in each software. Just short decsciption is fine.
And Windows 7 is on the WD drive and XP on the Hitachi?
The stats on the Hitachi say it is SATA II - or actual SATA 3.0 - same thing. Its 8MB buffer is small, but as long as it is working ok it should not be the issue. The PCPitStop test checks HD speed.

So both are boot drives and you know you have them correctly configured to boot to either one?
You said Win7 is 64 bit. Is XP 32 bit?
Are you sure you got the correct video drivers - different ones for Win7 64 bit and XP 32 bit?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2009 6:15:52 AM

If you go to 0 for AA and AF - does that affect the play much on any of the games?

When you go to Device Manager, does it show all devices are working OK? On the device manager menu window, here will be a yellow question mark or some red mark if they are not.

What memory do you have - brand and model - newegg link if possible. Did it come off the mobo recommended list?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2009 6:47:51 AM

I found these CPU benchmarks for the e6300 which seem to indicate it is capable.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=280...

The charts are three years old and you have a much better video card so I would expect better performance - unless someone a new faster video card overwhelms the CPU - but I would not think so. Or unless the newer games - and the ones you play - require more of the CPU.

If the PCPitStop test don't reveal anything, you might also try contacting the video card maufacturer. Do they have a phone number to call? Even if not a video card problem, they may have experience with others working similar issues and might know what to look at.

It is possible that it is just a bad video card. I got a bad one from BFG once. In my case the screen was blank. After a few minutes of troubleshooting with them they pronounced the card bad and had me RMA it and sent a new one. If you can call them, be sure to have a list ready of all the things you have already tried to save time and show you have done due diligence - also to not let them get off by making suggestions about things you have already checked out.
m
l
October 15, 2009 7:08:52 AM

Yeah, pretty much COD4 would NOT play in Win7-64bit, while the Batman game would be decent, with few hickups here and there....

Yes, Win7-64bit is on new WD caviar black 32mb cache. Batman game is there too. COD4 too but is unplayable.

Yes, I have WINXP 32bit SP2 on the old Hitachi. Hitachi I believe is sata I.....its 5yrs old drive.
Actually says HDS728080xxxxx SATA. (neither I or II, just SATA and nothing follows)

Yes I have them properly configured and they boot fine every time, both.

I'm currently in Win7. I installed driver 191.07 from nvidia.com

There are some huckups on batman(win7) but I think the game is maxed out(AA and AF). For COD4 in Win7, I can't get to gameplay before I get stuck on a frame.

Device manager is fine, no conflicts or missing driver.

My memory is Patriot Viper this is the >> link << or Newegg here

I believe I checked before buying it and it was there. I remember looking at supported RAM.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One think caught my attention. Win7 recognizes both my drives as ATA drives....hmmm...maybe I shoud check BIOS settings on drives. In Device Manager I have both my drives listed as:
HDS72008080PLA380 ATA Device
WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device

BTW I just ran another 3Dmark right now in win7 and score is 11131points.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2009 7:36:05 AM

Why would COD4 play better in XP when Win7 with 64 bit should be faster and the game is on the same new, presumably faster drive as Win 7?

You said that you installed the 191.07 driver - but did not answer the question - are you sure you intalled the Win7 64 bid version of the driver? The 191.07 driver comes in various versions for different operating systems. A wrong version might work but not work well as in when it does not work as fast as a slower operating system on a slower hard drive.

For COD4 on Win7, I ask again - what happens if you try to play with no AA or AF?
m
l
October 15, 2009 7:55:17 AM

In win7 COD4 bricks immediately in the 1 sec of gameplay with AA and AF @ off. I have to kill it manually and exit. I believe because win7 is beta that is why it happens like that.

Yeah, I have 64-bit driver....it is the same one for vista 64 too - 191.07_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2009 3:14:03 PM

Thanks - I hope I don't seem like I am asking too simple of questions or splitting hairs - I am as perplexed as you about what the problem can be - althought probably not as frustrated as you must be - so I am trying to recheck everthing and split the hairs.

I look forward to seeing what PCPitStop finds - if anything.
m
l
October 15, 2009 3:37:22 PM

I understand, i read reviews in newegg of people actually running the same combination of cpu and mobo been very happy with it. As one person stated: he/she was able to use onboard overclocking profile and overclock 20% - a thing that I couldn't do at all. When I attempted OCing profile with 5or 10%, pc didn't post.

I did pcpitstop full test yesterday,as we were exchanging posts. There were few suggestions but nothing that caught my attention.

I got only few days left if I want to exchange cpu, mobo or hd, as they were purchased on 9/20 (same order).
I'm thinking of mobo replacement. Should i consider cpu replacement as well?

Any recomendations on decent but cheap mobo supporting 1066mhz ram?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2009 4:18:40 PM

I understand time is short - but I hate to see you get into a cycle of replacing components without knowing which is the culprit. At this point I think the more likely one is the video card. Have you tried another graphics card to see how it works? If you don't have one maybe you can borrow one? [Edit - sorry I fogot that you reported poor results for the 6600GT already]

I think the PCPitStop test checked the CPU and HD and gave you performance scores. Did they pass ok?

Have you reviewed the forum at ASUS to see if anyone had similar problems? Posted on their forum?
Can you call MSI about the graphics card? (No need to wait for responses on the forum post - if you do one - before calling MSI. They might have experience dealing with similar issues - you just might not want to tell them you tried the other graphics card and got poor results with it too.

Just a thought - since I have not used 64 bit software - but are the versions of the games you have compatible with 64 bit? (Although that would not explain poor performance on your XP subsystem.)
m
l
October 15, 2009 6:08:46 PM

I installed XP on my WD SataII drive just to make sure all posibilities are covered. I did another 3dmark test. 6038pts. That is on WIN XP sp2 with MSI GTX260, 4gb ram, fresh install.

Couldn't find anything bad or problematic about ASUS mobo. Don't remember pcpitstop test score now, but nothing to worry about. I'll test switching and removing ram for any changes later. I will call msi too, but I don't think card is faulty.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2009 8:58:30 PM

Any chance you have a friend with a decent PC that would let you benchmark his system then drop your 260 in and benchmark it to remove the possibility of a bad GPU?

Also do you have the exact MSI model you linked? There is an older 260 with less cores that runs slower than the newer ones.
m
l
October 16, 2009 4:09:48 PM

I believe I found the problem. It is the famous among ASUS (and some Gigabyte) boards BIOS bug >>[PEG Force x1]<<

So apparently my video card is using not 16 but 1 lane only.

dndhatcher, I tried my older 6600GT with the current board and the results were pretty bad again, so this proved to me that my MSI gtx 260 is fine.

I'll post when I find a fix for the [PEG Force x1] bug.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2009 4:26:19 PM

Also please let us know how you found out about the bug issue
m
l
October 16, 2009 5:08:34 PM

It is known as PCI Express x1 Bug. I was looking at the setting in the BIOS, going line by line and making sure everything is set correctly. Apparently ASUS, decided to throw bunch of terms like PEG, PCI, IDG, etc there without trying to clarify what is what, and what does what. After googling half the abbreviations I hit a line saying:

PEG Force x1 [enable][disable]. I looked up that line and it all came to me right then.

Detailed article on the subject I read is this one: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=522&pgno=...

Although my board is not listed as one having that bug, obviously has it, because even if I choose to disable - PEG Force x1 [disabled], it is still enabled 100%. My CPU-Z proves it too.

The solution to the issue described in the article above involves access to menus and options in BIOS that my ASUS P5KPL-CM board don't have. Therefore I'm not able to fix it at this time.

After 3 days of total frustration, I won't try it. I called newegg and I'm sending it back today.

Meanwhile I'm ordering another board within $50-90 range.

I'm actually eager to try GTX 260 with my old cpu - AMD 3000+ and board. :) )

Thank you rockyjohn for the support. I appreciate it very much!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2009 6:43:50 PM

Well I am glad you found the problem and can move on.

Just for my edification - how does CPU-Z prove that is the problem?
m
l
October 17, 2009 6:01:44 AM

Cpu-z says something like PCI express: Width: x1 Max Available Witdh: x16.

It is something like that. I cant see it right now because i'm not at home and i'm posting off my phone
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2009 7:20:59 AM

Thanks. I found it on mine. Mine just both report the x16 - not seeing a difference I did not appreciate what it was telling me.

Good catch. I guess sometimes we don't realize the value of all the tools we have.
m
l
October 17, 2009 8:03:26 AM

Yeah I know. Probably among all the tests I've ran for the last coulpe of days i should have seen it in Sandra or Everest, but ....
I called MSI tech support and spoke to a guy explaining what was happening. He was pretty cool, very knowledgable and helpfull. He predicted that my board is running pcie at x8 instead x16, and he was so close. Definitely pointed me at the right direction. Asus were impossible to reach at that time.
Anyways, contacted newegg for replacement and i have RMA# and prepaid shipping label issued. I'm just going to order new board today. Looking at Asrock this time or maybe MSI.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2009 4:53:25 PM

I just got the meaning of your name. Guess I am a little slow - and not one.

Gigabyte has always been my favorite in mobos - especially their UD boards with the extra copper and high end components. How about this one:

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is a little more expensive than what you have - but a great board. It uses the same memory you have - although I am not sure if it will work with your memory - an issue with any different board you select. It also has 4 memory slots to make it easy to add more later - if you wish - but does not have integrated video - although you should not need that. Check the rest of the specs and see if it matches with your system. And it is PCIe 2.0.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2009 10:08:56 PM

My 2 Cents.

I'm using 2 GTX 260 Core 216's on an old 680i LT SLI board. It has 2 x16 PCI-E 1.0 slots. Handles SLI fine, so I'm doubting your PCI-E 1.0 slot is limiting a single GTX 260.

I'd lean toward a CPU limitation, or a latency problem if you're talking about multiplayer. Poor latency in online games can kill your FPS.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2009 3:04:06 AM

Hi! Actually the latest drivers for NVIDIA are crap. I downloaded them and then a day later rolled back my drivers because of the issues with it. It's a nightmare over on the NVIDIA tech support boards with people having so many issues with the latest roll out.

As to the 2.0> 1.0 slot, I'm trying to find that out as well. It's the main thing that is holding up my latest tower build, I was looking at reusing the MOBO but it's only 1.0 and havent really found any information about how much of a change 2.0 is from 1.0. I know 2.0 cards can run in 1.0 but I don't want to gimp myself if it's a major difference.
m
l
October 18, 2009 3:06:09 AM

Rockyjohn, i was actually looking at this board. Problem is that before i built this current system I bulit amd based system with Gigabyte udXX amd-board and mobo's lan connectivity turn out very poor. It was not connecting unless i plug and unplug it 20 times each restart. It was defective so i returned it and went intel and asus.

Why do you say that my patriot viper ram wount work with it?
That ram is not in the supported list of asus but works just fine even overclocked.
Tha same ram worked fine with gigabyte and amd also.
m
l
!