Sign in with
Your question

HELP => GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

Last response: in Motherboards
March 17, 2010 7:16:06 AM

Hi guys,
I have this motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My question is, I notice that the max I can installed internal hard drives is 3 for this mortherboard because I only see 3 SATA (yellow color on the board if you look at it). Is it true? Sorry this might sound like a noob question but im a noob when it comes to motherboard. SO THIS MOTHERBOARD MAX is 3?

-If the max is three, how do i get more than 3 hard drives in it for internal drives?

More about : gigabyte ma790x ud4p

March 17, 2010 9:11:19 AM

No the max isn't three... You have a total of eight onboard and all usuable sata ports... All the yellow and the purple could be filled... If and when you decide to fill them all and you need more ports for more drives, an add-in sata card could come in handy... The yellow ports and purple could all be used... Most folks like myself might use the yellow ports for the hardrives and purple sata ports for sata dvd drives if they work under different controllers... Usually, one controller is faster than the other... The yellow might be AMD SB750 controlled and the purple controlled by Jmicron... Hope i helped...
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 17, 2010 2:15:16 PM

The three yellow SATAs contain a pair of connectors each, and are run by the SB750 southbridge; if you hold the board 'edgewise', and peer into them, you will see that each has an opening for two of these plugs:

The pair of 'purple' connectors toward the bottom-right of the board, facing 'up', or toward you as you look at the board 'flat', each also accommodate one of these same plugs; the purple ones are run be a jMicron chip, are slower, and less 'robustly' supported - I usually recommend using these for SATA DVD/CD drives, and eSATA connectors...

m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2010 3:36:07 PM

lol I am at lost still confuse, so...

how many internal hard drives I can put into this motherboard? Because I use the "yellow thingy" (as you can see in the picture of the board) as SATA to connect my motherboard to my internal drive...??<==
m
l
March 17, 2010 3:38:57 PM

OH OH OH now i understand.. so those 3 yellow "thingy", each one has two SATA slot that can be pugged into.. so therefore 3x2= for total of 6...

So I'm I correct, that means I can have total of 6 internal hard drives connect into that yellow thingy?

:) )) SO SORRY I'm SO NOOB about these stuff
m
l
March 17, 2010 3:43:21 PM

chefboyeb said:
No the max isn't three... You have a total of eight onboard and all usuable sata ports... All the yellow and the purple could be filled... If and when you decide to fill them all and you need more ports for more drives, an add-in sata card could come in handy... The yellow ports and purple could all be used... Most folks like myself might use the yellow ports for the hardrives and purple sata ports for sata dvd drives if they work under different controllers... Usually, one controller is faster than the other... The yellow might be AMD SB750 controlled and the purple controlled by Jmicron... Hope i helped...

SO, does it matter whether I connect my internal drives to the "yellow" or the "purple"? The "yellow" and "purple" both would allow me to have the same speed or is there an advantages in using "yellow" as internal hard drives or vice versus??<===
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 17, 2010 3:51:07 PM

Exactly - try to 'reserve' your use of the yellow ports for your hard drives; use the purple ones for anything else. You can use the purples for hard drives (I have three pair of RAIDs on my 'primaries', so I'm forced to use a 'purple' for one hard disk...), it's just better (faster, and more stable) to use the yellows first...
m
l
March 17, 2010 5:08:20 PM

Hey Bilbat,
Help me out please with this question.. Would this motherboard works for internal hard drive that said "SATA 3."? I think this will work on hard drive version SATA 2, but what about the newer verison SATA 3? :) 

sorry im newbie about this kind of thingy..
m
l
March 17, 2010 7:12:18 PM

It would work with a sata 3 drive, but would do so at the speed of a sata 2... The Sata 3 drive would work at 3gb/s instead of 6gb/s... You'd get all the 6gb/s if you add a sata 3 controller installed....
m
l
March 17, 2010 7:22:06 PM

How do i add or get an SATA 3 controller? can you send me a link or something that..? thanks
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 17, 2010 10:54:52 PM

Don't worry too much about SATA3; much like USB3, it is nearly useless, and will remain so for, likely, a year or two yet - even the very fastest of the current SLC SSD controller chips can't get anywhere near the throughput that SATA2 allows, much less 3 ;) 
m
l
March 18, 2010 12:19:38 AM

we have the same board. the purple is for 2 hard drives in raid 1 or 0 it states in the manual what each port is. the purple and yellow are 2 diffrent things purple is for a 2 hard drive raid set up.

hope i helped pm me if you need to know something else :D  i know alot about this board
m
l
March 18, 2010 8:25:22 PM

blaze15301 said:
we have the same board. the purple is for 2 hard drives in raid 1 or 0 it states in the manual what each port is. the purple and yellow are 2 diffrent things purple is for a 2 hard drive raid set up.

hope i helped pm me if you need to know something else :D  i know alot about this board

I am planning to buy Samsung F3 1tb that people keep saying it is the fastest 1tb out in the market better than Western black cavier.

SO where should i pug the samsung into. The purple or the yellow to get the most performance out of it..?

and I have like 2-3 old hard drives that I am planning to use for storeage and where should I pug them to.. yellow or purple?
m
l
March 18, 2010 8:30:13 PM

alricking113 said:
I am planning to buy Samsung F3 1tb that people keep saying it is the fastest 1tb out in the market better than Western black cavier.

SO where should i pug the samsung into. The purple or the yellow to get the most performance out of it..?

and I have like 2-3 old hard drives that I am planning to use for storeage and where should I pug them to.. yellow or purple?

id would say unless you are planning on a raid set up plug them all into the yellow the purple will only benifit in raid nothign else. i cant help youw ith that ahrdrive as i dhaven bought one in a few years but like i said the purple is for raid so use the yellow till the purple is needed
m
l
March 18, 2010 8:35:26 PM

blaze15301 said:
id would say unless you are planning on a raid set up plug them all into the yellow the purple will only benifit in raid nothign else. i cant help youw ith that ahrdrive as i dhaven bought one in a few years but like i said the purple is for raid so use the yellow till the purple is needed

You keep saying purple is for Raid setup.. what the hell is the difference between SATA (yellow) and RAID (purple)? :) ))))
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 8:56:33 PM

Quote:
You keep saying purple is for Raid setup.. what the hell is the difference between SATA (yellow) and RAID (purple)?

Don't worry about it - illiteracy, ignorance, inability to express self, English not first language - who knows - doesn't matter!
Once again, both 'colors' represent a SATA controller; the yellows are run by your southbridge, can do six drives, can RAID them all or in pairs, can do AHCI on all; the pur-ple ports are a jMicron SATA controller attached to the southbridge; they, to, can AHCI, or RAID, but there's just two, so they can only RAID a single pair. Raid is pretty useless when applied to more than a pair of physical drives anyway - for bigger RAIDs with tolerable, or even fast, performance, you need expensive RAID cards.

If you are going to boot from the Samsung F3, place it in the yellow connector labelled SATA2_0, toward the bottom of the board. Arrange the rest of the hard drives in the order you want their drive letters assigned, successivley, into SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, etc., working your way up... If you have a SATA DVD, plug it into either of the purple ports...
m
l
March 18, 2010 9:37:23 PM

bilbat said:
Quote:
You keep saying purple is for Raid setup.. what the hell is the difference between SATA (yellow) and RAID (purple)?

Don't worry about it - illiteracy, ignorance, inability to express self, English not first language - who knows - doesn't matter!
Once again, both 'colors' represent a SATA controller; the yellows are run by your southbridge, can do six drives, can RAID them all or in pairs, can do AHCI on all; the pur-ple ports are a jMicron SATA controller attached to the southbridge; they, to, can AHCI, or RAID, but there's just two, so they can only RAID a single pair. Raid is pretty useless when applied to more than a pair of physical drives anyway - for bigger RAIDs with tolerable, or even fast, performance, you need expensive RAID cards.

If you are going to boot from the Samsung F3, place it in the yellow connector labelled SATA2_0, toward the bottom of the board. Arrange the rest of the hard drives in the order you want their drive letters assigned, successivley, into SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, etc., working your way up... If you have a SATA DVD, plug it into either of the purple ports...

What happen if for example, I brought x2 Samsung F3 drives... since the SATA2_0 has two slots.. I would pug both Samsung F3 into SATA2_0? or whatever combination I like..???
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 9:43:51 PM

The bottom connector, that you're seeing as SATA2_0, actually contains the SATA2_0 & SATA2_1 pair, similarly, the middle on has SATA2_2 and SATA2_3...
m
l
March 18, 2010 9:49:06 PM

OH! So the first "yellow" top, ((--LEFT SIDE--))) is SATA2_0, and the bottom of it is SATA2_1

-The middle "yellow" top of it, SATA2_3, and bottom of it SATA_4.. and so on..?

lol damnz im so newbie ..thanks for the help!
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 9:57:31 PM

Always welcome! :hello: 

Everybody's gotta start learning somewhere, may as well be here! [:bilbat:2]
m
l
March 18, 2010 10:35:12 PM

bilbat said:
Always welcome! :hello: 

Everybody's gotta start learning somewhere, may as well be here! [:bilbat:2]

-Another question. So for whatever drive I want it to be as a main.. I need to pug it into SATA2_0 right? :) ) (I'm so newbie)
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 1:04:49 AM

Correct - will make the job easier - it'll automatically pop up as the first available for installation of your operating system...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 10:11:25 PM

Just so you know, the yellow SATA connectors are supported by the AMD SB750 southbridge, which supports 6 SATA devices, as well as RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, and JBOD configurations. The purple ones are supported by a separate GigaByte SATA2 chip, which since it only has 2 connections, only supports RAID 0, 1, and JBOD.

In other words, use one of the yellow ones. It doesn't matter which one, either.

Try reading the product spec sheet or the instruction manual sometime.
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Sp...
m
l
March 22, 2010 7:31:34 AM

RazberyBandit said:
Just so you know, the yellow SATA connectors are supported by the AMD SB750 southbridge, which supports 6 SATA devices, as well as RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, and JBOD configurations. The purple ones are supported by a separate GigaByte SATA2 chip, which since it only has 2 connections, only supports RAID 0, 1, and JBOD.

In other words, use one of the yellow ones. It doesn't matter which one, either.

Try reading the product spec sheet or the instruction manual sometime.
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Sp...

Wait let me get this straight, the purple one is SATA 2 which give maximum 3gb/sec transfer... Does the yellow give the same transfer rate since it is "SATA 1" not the newer verison "SATA 2"???? or they both the same, both give same speed transfer 3gb/sec transfer??? :) ))
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2010 8:24:56 AM

They're all SATA2, SATA-II, or SATA 3Gb/s, whichever way you choose to identify it.
m
l
!