Sign in with
Your question

New computer freezing randomly

Last response: in Systems
September 28, 2009 6:05:01 PM

My friend and I just bought new computers from newegg. With the following specs (each)

AMD Phenom II 550 BE 3.1ghz (cooler master hyper 212 for heatsink)
4 DDR3 1333 Crucial RAM
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870
Rosewill PSU 600w
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P

We put them together, installed Windows 7 Ultimate and everything was fine so we proceed to unlock.We updated the BIOS (the one suggested here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huKVYW4duiU) change the settings in the BIOS (Auto, hybrid) and reboot. We both succesfully unlocked the other 2 cores, we checked the temperatures and everything was smooth, so we proceed to overclock. We follow the previously posted video, in order to reach a 3.7 OC. We reboot and everything seemed OK. But a few mins later, my computer froze. I thought it was a random freeze so i restarted and keep using it. Then again froze. It randomly freezes, doesnt matter if im intensily using it or not. And then my friends computer started to freeze too.

So obviously we thought it was because of the 4 cores unlocked and the OC, but we returned the phenom processor to stock settings (3.1ghz dual core), and it kept freezing randomly "_"

And i dont have any idea of whats happening. Whats most likely happening? Windows 7 ? defective RAM / timing ? or what

Thanks in advance guys!
September 28, 2009 7:09:15 PM

I would focus on the RAM first. Which exact RAM kit do you have? All three of these match your description:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

You should manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs in the BIOS and then run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors.

Did you reset your CMOS after returning the CPU's to stock speed? There may still be an incorrect setting in the BIOS if not. Unlocking disabled cores is certainly not a guarantee and your initial problems sound like the unlocked cores were not stable.

On a side note, Rosewill PSU's are generally junk and certainly won't contribute to a stable system.
m
l
September 28, 2009 8:26:11 PM

Hey shortstuff_mt, thanks for the repply. First of all, my RAM is the first of those 3. Second, no, i didnt reset my CMOS after returning the CPUs stock speed D:, would u mind telling me how ?

Thanks for ur time
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2009 8:41:10 PM

ok, im clearing the CMOS now..
m
l
September 28, 2009 9:17:22 PM

I agree with Shortstuf on the RAM.

Make sure the timings, voltage, and frequency are set to the settings recommended by the manufacturer. Run Memtest overnight.
m
l
September 28, 2009 9:18:57 PM

I cleared the CMOS. I burned the memtest86 ISO but does it work with Windows 7 x64?
m
l
September 28, 2009 9:24:39 PM

Memtest86+ has nothing to do with the OS. You boot from the CD and it runs outside the OS.
m
l
September 28, 2009 9:26:38 PM

About the ram voltage/speed/timing (i never changed it when OCing).. i checked what BIOS im using (i downloaded one) in the System Information and its called "Award Software International, Inc. F2c, 22/05/2009", im trying to find the recommended specs
m
l
September 28, 2009 9:34:40 PM

btw i also get a msge saying "AMD Data change...Update new data to DMI"
m
l
September 28, 2009 11:33:31 PM

ok, i cleared the CMOS, ran memtest86 (test #5 and #8) on each of my ram cards (test #5 ran like 11 pases (20mins) and test #8 ran 1 pass (20 mins)), and no errors. D:

A friend of mine told me to update the BIOS. Could this fix this ? Also, can the RAM timing cause this problem ?

thanks!
m
l
September 28, 2009 11:46:03 PM

Yes, incorrect RAM timings can cause freezing problems. You need to run every test in Memtest86+ multiple times if you want to really test your RAM.
m
l
September 28, 2009 11:54:52 PM

Ok shortstuff_mt ill run memtest86 full at night :D  and about timings and ram setups, how do i know im running the correct settings on my ram and how do i change them, in case theyre wrong ?.. i havent done this D:
m
l
September 29, 2009 4:52:23 PM

There will be a section in your motherboard owners manual about RAM settings. Most Gigabyte motherboards require you to press Ctrl + F1 when you first enter the BIOS to unlock some of the settings, including RAM timings.
m
l
October 1, 2009 4:00:44 AM

ok guys :D  I got it to work.. I just had to set the timings and voltage manually.. im using 1.64v and timings of 7-6-6-15

i tried to unlock the other 2 cores of my phenom.. but when running prime95.. it only showed 3 cores D: dunno if this is right or may cause any issues :o .. i run compID and it says i have 4 cores :o 
m
l
!